The Ordeal Of Homeserver 2011 installation part 2 RRS feed

• Question

• OK then after ordeal number 1.........I now have a 2 homeservers successfully installed on my Proliant Microservers (on different sites)  but.....I cannot connect any of my XP Pro 32 bit based clients to my server via launchpad. The connect software does its stuff and presents both launchpad and dashboard. I can connect thru dashboard at all the clients at both sites and I can also connect remotely without problem. I can also see my network shares of all the networked PC's and the shared folders of the server from all clients.

Trying to connect with launchpad results in a window which says "the server appears to be offline" even though it damn well isnt!. This means of course I cannot backup my clients. Looking at the server computer list all PC's are flagged as being off line and the general info about each computer gives teh comment "cannot determine the operating system information"

I note that others have had similar problems but none of the solutions offered works.e.g uninstalling and reinstalling etc etc. 

Ive spent wasted so much time on this that I wished Id continued with Homeserver V1 which installed, connected and backed up without a glitch.

Help desperately needed please before I spend my life savings on counselling!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:47 PM

Answers

• Ok Ken you were pretty much sort of spot on. I had disabled my A/V and sofware firewall and.........it made no difference. There were a few posts on the WGS forum which suggested that aberrant LSP enteries may cause trouble. Sure enough when i looked at the winsock catalog there was a LSP relating to BULLGUARD which ...you guessed ....it is my security suite. I deleted BULLGUARD via control panel and after a reboot launchpad "launched" perfectly. RESULT!

Now on to ORDEAL no 3...........contacting BULLGUARD to see if the can make their software work with WHS 2011! Ah well........must dig deep for more counselling.

Watch this space.

• Marked as answer by vandieman Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:35 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:35 PM

All replies

• This sounds like a firewall issue of some sort. Probably everything is working except the (hidden) hearbeat communication between clients and server; that would explain why your servers show everything as "offline", and why the LaunchPad doesn't let you connect, but you can outside the launchpad.

Do you run AV software on your servers? Your clients? Often AV software includes a firewall feature, which can cause this sort of problem.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:17 PM
  • Not sure whether it will help but are both the time zone and times on the servers and the clients the same.

I recently did a re-install of whs 2011 and was having some strange happenings going on afterwards. Eventunately found when I re-installed WHS 2011 I had left the time zone at the default setting rather than setting it to, in my case, NZ time. When I altered the server to the correct time zone it took 24 hours before the online offline status of the clients and server to get back in to sync.

Since that point everything is back to normal and no major issue's are occuring.

Just a thought.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:15 PM
  • Many thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I have already disabled both A/V firewall and router firewall (very briefly!) without success. I am aware of the time zone/clock issue since it was that that caused me a great deal of trouble with the initial installation (see another thread for that particular ordeal). All clients (and the servers) are time synched with the same internet time server.

Since I have got the same problem with all clients and both servers which are at different sites and using a different type of router I cannot help but think that there is something wrong about the set up of whs 2011 on the identical servers. 

Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:12 AM
  • Ok Ken you were pretty much sort of spot on. I had disabled my A/V and sofware firewall and.........it made no difference. There were a few posts on the WGS forum which suggested that aberrant LSP enteries may cause trouble. Sure enough when i looked at the winsock catalog there was a LSP relating to BULLGUARD which ...you guessed ....it is my security suite. I deleted BULLGUARD via control panel and after a reboot launchpad "launched" perfectly. RESULT!

Now on to ORDEAL no 3...........contacting BULLGUARD to see if the can make their software work with WHS 2011! Ah well........must dig deep for more counselling.

Watch this space.

• Marked as answer by vandieman Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:35 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:35 PM
  • I'm having that same issue that vandieman reported--when my WHS 2011 firewall is turned off, all the clients report the server online in Launchpad, and the server reports the clients online in Dashboard.

However, as soon as I turn the firewall back on, neither clients nor server can see the others. I'm not running any other firewall that I know of, and since this issue is happening for multiple clients, I'd have to be running that same firewall on all of them. I didn't install any new A/V software recently, especially not on all my clients...

What's more, WHS 2011 worked just fine for nearly a year, with the exact same software setup on all clients, until I ran into problems with the Crucial M4 SSD that the server system files are installed on. Fixed that issue w a firmware update, but thereafter I ran into this firewall issue. 

Saul

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:09 PM
  • I've been dealing with this issue of Launchpad saying the server is offline when it is not. Thing is it is only my XP clients that don't connect. I have 4 clients and HS 2011 on the same wired LAN with Server 2003, which is also my router and everything else a server does.

Two clients are XP, one Home, one Pro. Other two are Win 7. Again one Home, and one Pro. One each of XP and 7 are in a VM on the Server 2003. Other two are dedicated machines. The Win 7 clients both work great without a problem, backup every night, show online in Dashboard. The two XP clients connector installs just fine, Dash works (it is really silly to see the client you are using the Dash on showing it to be offline). 

I even have a Windows 8 client connected and backing up perfectly. The thing about that one is it is on the other side of a server to server VPN connecting my home and work LANs. Now if that setup works, being on a different subnet and all, why won't XP work on the same subnet?

What is it that keeps the XP clients from connecting with the Launchpad when the Win 7 clients (and Win 8) work without a hitch? Is this another one of Microsoft's little 'glitches' that are to get us to give up XP (examples: Windows Live Sync, Removing the Address Toolbar from the Start taskbar, IE 9,). I'm sure there are more but if anyone has any ideas about this issue so I don't have to add Home Server 2011 to my list of 'not made for XP' it would be much appreciated.

If you need more details about any or all the things I tried, let me know and I'll fill it in, I'm a little long with this post already.

Windows 7 (x86) ver. 6.1.7600.16617.x86fre.win7_gdr.100618-1621

Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Now on to ORDEAL no 3...........contacting BULLGUARD to see if the can make their software work with WHS 2011! Ah well........must dig deep for more counselling.

If I may suggest, why not give Microsoft Security Essentials a try?  It's free to use, highly regarded, and because it's from Microsoft, it is well tested in all of these scenarios. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

You may have a very specific reason you prefer BullGuard; if so ignore this advice, but as a rule, I try never to run 3rd party products that aim to replace or "improve" system software that Microsoft already provides, as I find that they tend to cause more problems than they solve. This includes A/V software.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 1:21 PM