none
Backup problem Unable to create disk snapshot try running chkdsk /f/r RRS feed

• Question

• The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup. To resolve this problem try running chkdsk /f/r.

I ran chkdsk /f /r several times with no errors and to no avail. I reinstalled the connector software, rebooted the server, nothing worked.

By the way I have had no problems with the laptop drive I’m a developer and use it every day developing medical imaging software.  The drive is a 52gb drive with 20gb of free space.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:30 AM

Answers

• Probably you have a problem with the Volume Shadow Copy service. Please check if the service is installed and set to manual or automatic in services.msc

If  the service is installed but for some reason not working properly you could try: (copied from http://blogs.technet.com/sdoakes/archive/2006/02/03/418722.aspx).

in command shell do:

Code Snippet

Cd windows\system32

Net stop vss

Net stop swprv

regsvr32 ole32.dll

regsvr32 vss_ps.dll

Vssvc /Register

regsvr32 /i swprv.dll

regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll

regsvr32 es.dll

regsvr32 stdprov.dll

regsvr32 vssui.dll                           ##Possibly only applicable for Windows 2003##

regsvr32 msxml.dll

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

regsvr32 msxml4.dll

the last 3 depend on what XML versions you have installed.

if you get error here, re-install corresponding XML version

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324460

If some of the other required files are missing or corrupt you can COPY them from C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

It's also possible that some other backup software which has replaced the ms shadow copy provider, or stops it from working properly (for example Acronis True Image). If you have such software installed I think you can best contact the provider.

Also the thread Re: Unable to create volume snapshot  may contain some relevant info for you.

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:05 PM

All replies

• Check client's System event log for entries with source = VolSnap.  Is there more than one volume?  Backup acquires a snapshot on all configured volumes at the same time.  Each needs min. 300MB of free space.

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:45 PM
  • Probably you have a problem with the Volume Shadow Copy service. Please check if the service is installed and set to manual or automatic in services.msc

If  the service is installed but for some reason not working properly you could try: (copied from http://blogs.technet.com/sdoakes/archive/2006/02/03/418722.aspx).

in command shell do:

Code Snippet

Cd windows\system32

Net stop vss

Net stop swprv

regsvr32 ole32.dll

regsvr32 vss_ps.dll

Vssvc /Register

regsvr32 /i swprv.dll

regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll

regsvr32 es.dll

regsvr32 stdprov.dll

regsvr32 vssui.dll                           ##Possibly only applicable for Windows 2003##

regsvr32 msxml.dll

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

regsvr32 msxml4.dll

the last 3 depend on what XML versions you have installed.

if you get error here, re-install corresponding XML version

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324460

If some of the other required files are missing or corrupt you can COPY them from C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

It's also possible that some other backup software which has replaced the ms shadow copy provider, or stops it from working properly (for example Acronis True Image). If you have such software installed I think you can best contact the provider.

Also the thread Re: Unable to create volume snapshot  may contain some relevant info for you.

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:05 PM
  • Brubber,

Thanks, I ran the code snippit and it fixed my problem. Thanks again.

Dick Eue

dickeue@gmail.com

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:23 AM
  • OK, Glad it worked!

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:57 AM
  • brubber - you ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:52 AM
  • I had such high hopes that this would be my solution! Unfortunately, that's not the case.

I have two XP Pro machines and an XP Home machine (a Gateway laptop); the Pros are fine, but I get the "volume shadow copy chkdsk /f/r" message repeatedly on the Home machine.

Did "vssadmin list writers," and received no errors; checked services, and compared them against the services status in one of the functioning Pro machines. Nothing.

Anyone else experiencing this error, still?

--------------

By the way: I have also:

• uninstalled/reinstalled the connector software;
    • checked to make certain the shadow copy services were running at boot-up;
    • looked at the error messages, and the error code was 770 (IIRC; I don't have the laptop with me this morning)
    • made certain I had all the updates to my system
    • run chkdsk /f and chkdsk /f/r several times, with no errors
    • have 6 GB available space
    • increased virtual memory to twice the RAM

Thanks for any other suggestions -- I'm ready to visit a Voodoo priestess at this point :-)

Saturday, July 12, 2008 10:50 AM
  •  

Brubber,

I was having this same problem on one of my XP machines, and ran the code snippit and it fixed my problem. What I don't understand is why it fixed my problem!

Friday, August 29, 2008 12:14 PM
  •  mwalters wrote:

Brubber,

I was having this same problem on one of my XP machines, and ran the code snippit and it fixed my problem. What I don't understand is why it fixed my problem!

Backup needs vss service to make volume snapshot. The commands just make sure all required dll's are there and properly registered so vss service can do it's job as required.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 4:30 AM
  • I have a Vista machine with this problem.  Other machines in the house are working fine.  I've tried every solution I've seen suggested on this or other threads to no avail, but with this one, when I tried entering the net stop commands I got a "System error 5 . . ."  and then "Access denied".

I was signed on with an Administrator user id.

This is not user friendly.  Until this is fixed I cannot recommend WHS to my friends and colleagues.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:17 PM
  • scywin said:

I have a Vista machine with this problem.  Other machines in the house are working fine.  I've tried every solution I've seen suggested on this or other threads to no avail, but with this one, when I tried entering the net stop commands I got a "System error 5 . . ."  and then "Access denied".

I was signed on with an Administrator user id.

This is not user friendly.  Until this is fixed I cannot recommend WHS to my friends and colleagues.

With all due respect, I don't see how it's WHS's fault.  All of the computers in your LAN work fine except for one.  It's clear the problem lies with your Vista box, not your WHS box.

In any event, you should start your own thread and explain your problem with as much detail as possible if you want assistance with your issue.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 4:49 AM
  • Hi Brubber,
    Thanks for the snippet : It works!!!
    I've been leaning over my systems for about 10 days trying to find the solution with no results!  This link should be widely published as I have gone over many forums (+french forums as I am in France) looking for the solution and could not find it. I have re-installed, gone through all the services running on my systems, used troubleshooting plugins and followed their advise... and nothing!
    So believe me I am a happy and relieved man!!!
    Thanks again,
    Marco
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Be aware that Acronis True Image gets shipped by drive vendors and labelled as Seagate DiscWizard (Seagate and Maxstor) or Acronis True Image WD Free Edition (for Western Digital). I'm a big fan of it.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:31 PM
  • Sorry, newbie here. I have the same issue above. How do l run regsvr32ole32.dll & additional dll commands? I got the other Net stop commands to run, and they both said that the Vol Shadow had not started, yet in my services, il ha started it?
    Saturday, August 22, 2020 2:16 PM
  • Ahh! Problem solved. It was nothing to do with any of the above persay. It was that l only allowed 1% allocation of the drive as restore space. Changed to 30% and t created restore points no problem! Thank you.
    Saturday, August 22, 2020 2:46 PM