Is it possible to sync two databases when the scopes are different? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I've got the following situation - I need to sync a (local) sql-ce database with a remote database, which may be either another CE database, or a SQL server.

The thing is, the scope definitions may be different between the local and remote databases, e.g. the "Foo" scope will include the "Bar" table on the local database, and on the remote database, it will not.

Is this scenario possible? If so, which scope will be used? Does it depend on the sync direction?

Thanks,

Assaf.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:10 PM

Answers

• No, this is not possible. Scope definition must match in order for two database to be sync'd. If you want to sync two tables, you have to insert them both under same scope definition. Sync, by definition, is to send changes that happened on identical set of data. If they are different set of data, they cannot be sync'd.

I am curious as to what your objective is to why you want to define different set of tables for each scope.

Thanks,

Patrick

Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:01 PM

All replies

• No, this is not possible. Scope definition must match in order for two database to be sync'd. If you want to sync two tables, you have to insert them both under same scope definition. Sync, by definition, is to send changes that happened on identical set of data. If they are different set of data, they cannot be sync'd.

I am curious as to what your objective is to why you want to define different set of tables for each scope.

Thanks,

Patrick

Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

The scenario is actually, quite simple. I'm using MSF to sync system configuration data between configuration clients and apps. It is possible, that the scope definitions (which tables will be synced, when) will change between patches / versions, and two clients might not have the same patch level at a given moment.

At that moment, the scopes would be different, but I'd want to be able to sync. I thought that it might be possible that for a download operation, the local provider's scope description would lead, and for an upload - the remote one.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:42 PM