windows did not start correctly RRS feed

• Question

• I installed steadystate on one of my machines and it worked great with the disk protection for a few reboots.  After a while, every time I power the computer on, it says that windows failed to start correctly.  It gives me the option to start in the different safe modes, the last good configuration, and start windows normally.

It seems like steadystate is preventing the machine from shutting down properly.  Is there anything to fix this problem?  I reimaged the machine and the same thing happened after a few reboots.

Thanks
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:56 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Sehe,

This issue can be caused by several factors including hardware or driver problems.

As the Windows Disk Protection (WDP) cache file is very sensitive to its physical layout on the hard disk, I would like to know if the image with Windows Disk Protection turned on or not. We recommend turning WDP on after running sysprep and imaging the server.

If the WDP feature is enabled, let’s temporarily disable it to check the result:

1. Start SteadyState with an administrator account.

2. Click Protect the Hard Disk. Select Off. Click OK and restart the computer.

If the issue persists, we may need to uninstall SteadyState to verify the result. Otherwise, let’s check the hard drive before enabling WDP.

1. Open “My Computer” Right click drive C and then Choose Properties.

2. Select the Tools tab. Click the Check Now button.

3. Select the two check boxes and click Start. Click Yes and restart the computer.

If there is any update, feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Monday, July 30, 2007 9:02 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Sehe,

This issue can be caused by several factors including hardware or driver problems.

As the Windows Disk Protection (WDP) cache file is very sensitive to its physical layout on the hard disk, I would like to know if the image with Windows Disk Protection turned on or not. We recommend turning WDP on after running sysprep and imaging the server.

If the WDP feature is enabled, let’s temporarily disable it to check the result:

1. Start SteadyState with an administrator account.

2. Click Protect the Hard Disk. Select Off. Click OK and restart the computer.

If the issue persists, we may need to uninstall SteadyState to verify the result. Otherwise, let’s check the hard drive before enabling WDP.

1. Open “My Computer” Right click drive C and then Choose Properties.

2. Select the Tools tab. Click the Check Now button.

3. Select the two check boxes and click Start. Click Yes and restart the computer.

If there is any update, feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Monday, July 30, 2007 9:02 AM
  •  

i have almost the same problem as you. but my machine does'nt continue to load windows. when i was choose one of the selection it was reboot.  and the selection was appear again.  id try to re-format but it came the same. hope you guys help me. i really appreciate your feedback. thanks and more power!
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 2:26 AM
  • Hi Mocks,

Have you tried all the boot options such as Safe Mode or Last Good Configuration mode? Have you formatted the hard drive? If the issue persists after reinstalling the system without SteadyState, this should be general Windows XP Startup issue. As this forum focuses on SteadyState specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows XP public newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other customers who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Based on my experience, the problem can be caused by hard disk problem or corrupted file system as the splash screen hasn’t appeared. If problem was encountered when trying to format the hard drive, you may need to configure your computer BIOS to boot from CD. Please refer to your computer/motherboard manual for information on how to do this.

For your reference, we can also repair the system with the following steps:

-----------------------

Note: System Repair will not remove your personal files. However, we need to reinstall all the updates.

1. Make sure you have set your CD-ROM as the first priority boot device.

2. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM and reboot your computer.

3. When you see "Press any key to boot from CD…" on the screen, press a key to let your computer boot from the Windows XP CD.

4. When the computer boots from the CD-ROM, it will check your hardware and then prompt you the following options.

* To set up Windows XP now, press Enter.

* To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

* To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Please press Enter. (Note: please do not press R at this step)

5. Press the F8 key to agree the Licensing Agreement.

6. You will see your current Windows XP installation listed in a box and get the following options:

* To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.

* To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press Esc.

Please press "R".

7. Then the setup program will repair Windows XP automatically.

Best Regards,

Friday, August 17, 2007 9:04 AM
  •  When I turned on the disk protection for the first time it said that it needed to restart the computer which it did but it stays stuck at the windows xp screen with the bar ciruclating below it. What do I do now?

Thursday, December 4, 2008 2:18 PM