restore stops responding RRS feed

• Question

• I just upgraded to Vista from XP and am having considerable trouble restoring my network backup.

The backup shows up as from another computer in my OneCare circle, and after I click next one care cursor goes in to a blue circle and doesn't do anything, I've left it like that for over a day thinking that the 200+ GB size of the backup may slow it down some. But creating the backup didn't take that long! When I click cancel then [X] it goes into window not responding mode, then it will let me close the program.

Is this normal for a backup of this size or is there a problem with the restore process?

After doing a clean Vista install I'd really hate to lose all of my music, documents and years of family pictures!!!

Thursday, June 5, 2008 2:42 AM

Answers

• In XP it worked!!! Even though re-loading Windows is about as much fun as pulling teeth, it was worth it to avoid manually restoring files one at a time!

It took just over 12 hours for the program to restore everything, probably because of the size of the backup. Are the catalog files the reason for the backup directory being 50 GB larger than the actual size of the files in the backup?

Here's the drive schema that worked (before I resized 0), its weird how XP insists on placing system files on the IDE (disk 0) if present during setup, when the Raid-0 (disk 1) was selected as the installation target.

So was this solution restoring to the same drive schema, or restoring to the same OS that was used to create the backup? Either way I'm not going to put all of my backup 'eggs in the same basket' anymore, in addition to the OneCare backup I'm going to subscribe to another backup service for redundancy.

Thanks again for your help Steve! Smile This forum proved to be tremendously more helpful than the outsourced support.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:46 PM

All replies

• No, that wouldn't be normal.

When you click Next, the restore process should access the catalog and proceed with presenting you more options - to restore all files, or select specific files.

Can you explain a bit more about the situation?

Was the backup actually from the PC you are trying to restore to? Was it backed up to Centralized backup on a network Share or shared backup location on a hub PC? Is the hub PC the same or a different computer than where you are trying to restore to?

Did you leave OneCare installed on this PC before you upgraded from XP to Vista or was it actually a clean install of Vista?

You may want to try to create a small backup from this PC to the backup location and then try the restore once more.

You can also contact support for help, if desired.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, June 5, 2008 2:19 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

No, that wouldn't be normal.

When you click Next, the restore process should access the catalog and proceed with presenting you more options - to restore all files, or select specific files.

Can you explain a bit more about the situation?

Was the backup actually from the PC you are trying to restore to? Was it backed up to Centralized backup on a network Share or shared backup location on a hub PC? Is the hub PC the same or a different computer than where you are trying to restore to?

Did you leave OneCare installed on this PC before you upgraded from XP to Vista or was it actually a clean install of Vista?

Yes it is from this PC, when it was running XP. To a centralized backup on a dedicated home file server running W2K. This PC that I'm trying to restore to is (and has always been) the hub, and it was an actual clean install of Vista starting with an NTFS quick format.

Stephen Boots wrote:

You may want to try to create a small backup from this PC to the backup location and then try the restore once more.

-steve

Fantastic idea, I just did that and when I select the new backup it goes directly into the select files to restore section. But when I try to select the old backup where all of my files are, the program still stops responding...

Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:24 PM
  • So, the small backup worked fine? Can you also restore from that small backup - that is getting further than the above hang? (No need to actually restore, we just want to get to the next dialog after the above!)

My assumption is that the Network Share on the W2K server is accessible from the PC yo are having the problem on - both for reading and writing via Windows Explorer. Since the small backup was successful, I think that's a fair assumption.

In case you didn't realize already, I'm not sure why the problem is happening. It would appear to be hanging when it is loading the catalog.

While we scratch our heads, it may be worth contacting support - they may have some experience with this kind of problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:00 PM
  • I realized that I should also let you know that you probably have not lost your data. In the worst case, you can manually unpack the zip files from the backup folder for this PC and rejoin any files that have been split.

It will be a painful process, particularly if you have many split files to join back together and also because you are talking so much data, but the files can be extracted from the .zip files manually with WinZip or similar archiving utility. And, the split files can be rejoined with a free rejoin utility - 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

-steve

Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:05 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

So, the small backup worked fine? Can you also restore from that small backup - that is getting further than the above hang? (No need to actually restore, we just want to get to the next dialog after the above!)

I've run the new backup completely through the restore process with no problems encountered.

Stephen Boots wrote:
    My assumption is that the Network Share on the W2K server is accessible from the PC yo are having the problem on - both for reading and writing via Windows Explorer. Since the small backup was successful, I think that's a fair assumption.
    Yes, my user account has full access on the server.

Stephen Boots wrote:
    In case you didn't realize already, I'm not sure why the problem is happening. It would appear to be hanging when it is loading the catalog.

I realized that I should also let you know that you probably have not lost your data. In the worst case, you can manually unpack the zip files from the backup folder for this PC and rejoin any files that have been split.

It will be a painful process, particularly if you have many split files to join back together and also because you are talking so much data, but the files can be extracted from the .zip files manually with WinZip or similar archiving utility. And, the split files can be rejoined with a free rejoin utility - 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

-steve

Thanks for your help on this Steve. Is there an easy way to view/edit the catalog? I opened a support ticket with MS.

I really hope it doesn't come down to manually extracting and joining thousands of files, I purchased OneCare in the first place for it's backup utility. By the time it would take me to restore all of my files from the zip-archives my 9/08 OneCare subscription expiration would be lapsed and by then I'd probably be more inclined to subscribe to something else.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 6:20 PM
  • You're welcome and I am hopeful that support will help you to successfully use the restore process to get your data back.

I am not aware of any way to view the catalog files outside of OneCare.

And, I certainly understand the reluctance to restore the files manually. However, I suggested it as a last resort.

Another idea came to mind. Do you have another PC running OneCare? Have you tried accessing this large backup by using Restore from that PC to see if you can proceed through the Wizard?

And another question...on the newly formatted and updated Vista machine, is the drive schema the same as it was when it was running XP? Meaning - in XP was it a C: drive and a D: drive, perhaps, and under Vista the same partitions exist or was it C: and D: under XP and now C: only on Vista? The restore wizard wants to put the files back on the same drives where they came from, so if the files to be restored need to go to a drive that doesn't exist, you may encounter a failure or other unusual behavior, I believe.

-steve

Thursday, June 5, 2008 6:38 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

And another question...on the newly formatted and updated Vista machine, is the drive schema the same as it was when it was running XP? Meaning - in XP was it a C: drive and a D: drive, perhaps, and under Vista the same partitions exist or was it C: and D: under XP and now C: only on Vista? The restore wizard wants to put the files back on the same drives where they came from, so if the files to be restored need to go to a drive that doesn't exist, you may encounter a failure or other unusual behavior, I believe.

That has changed... On XP there was an IDE C: and an sata raid-0 D: with D: being the system drive and C used for download storage. When I installed Vista there were no IDE drives present, just 2 optical drives and the raid-0 which became C: in the installation process.

Vista will not let me reassign drive letters for the system drive. So I'm looking at reloading Vista with an IDE present to get the drive letters back to where they were.. Maybe if I just install an IDE and reassign optical drive letters so the IDE can be D:.. That wouldn't be exactly the same drive schema as before but its worth a try to avoid hours reinstalling software and drivers... <?>

Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:02 PM
  • Update: Adding a D: hard drive to the system did not remedy the problem.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 11:33 PM
  • Let us know what support has to say, but I believe that the root cause of the problem is that the drive letter for the system drive being different is what is confusing OneCare. That sure sounds stupid to me, but I know that there was a thread recently with someone who had a C: and D: drive in PC #1 and restoring to PC #2 that only had a C: drive and small D: restore partition failed with a space problem and no way to define the new destination for the data.

So, it would stand to reason that a D:\ System drive trying to restore to a C:\ system drive may be problematic.

Try this - make your optical drives something other and D: - in effect you don't want any drive assignment to match the missing drive from the old PC. This may allow you to specify an alternate location. It's a stab in the dark.

If support can't get it resolved for you, don't give up. I'll push this one to the OneCare team, though I lost my primary contact on the backup team some time back. :-(

-steve

Friday, June 6, 2008 1:53 AM
  • Tech support walked me through all of the computard steps of ensuring I could access the network drive, had ownership of the share etc... The nice gentleman in another country even explained to me how to do a screen print (he probably forgot I had already sent him screen prints). Then he forwarded my case to a girl on OneCare support who is ready to "help" me restore the files manually. I'm not ready to manually restore a quarter million files manually, especially when a great deal of them are split and many others are application data files that I don't know the names or restore paths of.

For this and many other reasons (like so many of my programs not supporting the OS, you'd have thought I'd installed MȺC OS) I'm dumping Vista and going to perform a clean install of XP with the old drive schema. This will give OneCare restore one final chance to perform as advertised. I really don't want to become a poster child for another backup company.

Thanks for your help on this Steve, MS support could learn a lot from you! Do you have any other suggestions before I fdisk?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Sorry to say that I don't have any other suggestions to try. :-(

You're very welcome and do let me know if the restore works in XP. If it still fails, I'd like to see if I can get someone from the OneCare backup team to have a look at your issue.

-steve

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:23 PM
  • In XP it worked!!! Even though re-loading Windows is about as much fun as pulling teeth, it was worth it to avoid manually restoring files one at a time!

It took just over 12 hours for the program to restore everything, probably because of the size of the backup. Are the catalog files the reason for the backup directory being 50 GB larger than the actual size of the files in the backup?

Here's the drive schema that worked (before I resized 0), its weird how XP insists on placing system files on the IDE (disk 0) if present during setup, when the Raid-0 (disk 1) was selected as the installation target.

So was this solution restoring to the same drive schema, or restoring to the same OS that was used to create the backup? Either way I'm not going to put all of my backup 'eggs in the same basket' anymore, in addition to the OneCare backup I'm going to subscribe to another backup service for redundancy.

Thanks again for your help Steve! Smile This forum proved to be tremendously more helpful than the outsourced support.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:46 PM
  • I'm very happy that the restore worked, albeit after the reinstall of XP. I would assume that the extra space is actually being taken up by older versions of files that were backed up and then changed before subsequent backups. The backups are compressed, so they would take up less space in the backup state. When you do the initial backup, all files are backed up (per the plan) and subsequent backups will update the catalogs and backup new and changed files, adding them to the destination. Older files are not removed from the destination. So, your backup would have multiple copies of some files, based on the number of times they changed between backups.

I can't say what the solution was for sure, but I have to think that it was the drive schema that solved it. There should be no problems restoring from an XP backup to Vista and even the reverse. Of course, the restore process should be more flexible in where to restore files to, but as I noted before, there have been some posts about problems with changed drives and missing drives for the restore.

You're welcome for the help and thanks for providing all of the details about the situation as you went along.

Personally, I also use multiple forms of backup concurrently. I sync data between multiple PCs, make sure that some data that I don't sync to other PCs is copied/synchronized to an external drive, and I use Windows Home Server for all of my PC backups. For my primary laptop I also run a weekly Acronis True Image backup to a portable external drive to allow for recovery to a replacement drive when away from home. And, I use OneCare online photo backup as a bonus backup for photos. :-)

-steve

Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:26 PM