How Headless Is "Headless"? RRS feed

• Question

• I keep hearing WHS touted as a "Headless" server.

I guess that means that all the access anybody needs to it within the context of server functionality can be attained via the client application from another PC and -  accepting that limitation - one could even run the server sans video card once it is built.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Have I got it right?

If so, take it one more step:  What about BIOS settings, install time, and so-forth?

I'm guessing that one still needs:

• A video card
    • Some sort of monitor 
    • Keyboard/Mouse
    • A physical presence at the server PC

I'm a happy camper under WHS and I'm 99.9% sure the answer to the above is "Yes".

But I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything - like some magical combination of  non-WHS utility/Motherboard feature that gives total access across a LAN. 

i.e. A situation where the physical box could be in a locked closet in another building and, as long as it's got a live LAN connection to my desktop PC and is powered up;  any and all software/BIOS-related tasks could be performed from afar.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 5:14 PM

Answers

• In the context of normal operation, there should never be a need to log in to the server's desktop, either using physical console or remote desktop tools. That's what's meant by "headless". For the enthusiast installing on their own hardware, there is of course a period when it's basically impossible to proceed without the adidtional hardware you mentioned, but it should be possible to disconnect all of it after getting through the initial graphical portion of setup.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 10, 2009 5:31 PM

All replies

• In the context of normal operation, there should never be a need to log in to the server's desktop, either using physical console or remote desktop tools. That's what's meant by "headless". For the enthusiast installing on their own hardware, there is of course a period when it's basically impossible to proceed without the adidtional hardware you mentioned, but it should be possible to disconnect all of it after getting through the initial graphical portion of setup.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 10, 2009 5:31 PM
  • In the context of normal operation, there should never be a need to log in to the server's desktop, either using physical console or remote desktop tools.

How about shutting down?   I'm looking on the console window, but I do not see a means of telling the server to shut down.

In the context of WHS's claiming not to support Remote Desktop, I figure I must be missing something.

??
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:54 PM

• How about shutting down?   I'm looking on the console window, but I do not see a means of telling the server to shut down.

In the context of WHS's claiming not to support Remote Desktop, I figure I must be missing something.

??

The option to shutdown or restart the server is in the Settings button on the console.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:22 AM