How sure is sure? RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone tell  me how I can be absolutely, certainly, definitely, irrefutably, unarguably sure that any copy of Windows that I may unthinkingly purchase in the future [should I have a sudden attack of Alzheimer's disease] is genuine and will not  & never could indicate, by some mysterious quirk of Microsoft's manipulation, that I could be the subject of a "software counterfeiting" act?? [Apart, of course, from that of Microsoft itself]!   Of course Microsoft will be very reassuring on this point but I am, after all, The Cynic and Believe Nothing and Trust No-one!
    Sunday, May 28, 2006 5:57 AM

Answers

• We would love to provide you with a 100% Gaurantee but this is not realistic.

The GA initiative is going a long way to resolve the issue with Counterfeit and improperly used Product keys from continuing to plague Windows users.

The best recommendations I can provide would be to use the howtotell site located here when you purchase a copy of Windows:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/default.mspx

Ensure you get confirmation from the reseller that the copy of Windows is Genuine

Ensure you receive the proper documentation, Media and COA when you purchase Windows

Ensure you always purchase Windows from a reputable dealer.

hth

dave

Monday, May 29, 2006 3:34 AM

All replies

• We would love to provide you with a 100% Gaurantee but this is not realistic.

The GA initiative is going a long way to resolve the issue with Counterfeit and improperly used Product keys from continuing to plague Windows users.

The best recommendations I can provide would be to use the howtotell site located here when you purchase a copy of Windows:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/default.mspx

Ensure you get confirmation from the reseller that the copy of Windows is Genuine

Ensure you receive the proper documentation, Media and COA when you purchase Windows

Ensure you always purchase Windows from a reputable dealer.

hth

dave

Monday, May 29, 2006 3:34 AM
  • Just as I thought!   A guarantee of no guarantee!
    Microsoft will loan you an umbrella but if it leaks and you get wet it ain't any fault of theirs!
    Monday, May 29, 2006 4:25 AM