Windows Live onecare and Vista problems RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason I am not able to run anything as an administrator, delete any files, uninstall anything, or even load WLO.

Windows Live OneCare cannot continue.

The Windows Live OneCare service is not working or has been stopped. To correct this problem, try restarting your computer. If the problem persists, contact support.

I tried restarting the computer and it still won't work. Tried running files to fix it but the computer ends up freezing. What do I do?

Uninstalling = Freezing

service.msc = start menu freezing

OneCareCleaning = Desktop freezing

Restarting = nothing

Friday, June 13, 2008 12:40 AM

Answers

•  Charl1234 wrote:
    I have exactly the same problem. Onecare stopped updating properly and then the same message screen came up. Onecare used to work fine. i am now unable to do anything at all apart from; task manager, end task and browse file. If i try to copy files on order to save work for a reinstall it also freezes. 

While writing this repairing windows finished, the screen now goes black after logging in, but task manager etc still comes up??

Any ideas i would prefer not to lose all my data.

- Charles

Charles, the best I can do is to refer you to support, but I believe that the OneCare problem is a consequence of some other problem with Windows or your hardware.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, June 30, 2008 3:27 PM

All replies

• I don't know why you posted in the Off Topic folder, but I've moved it to the General folder for now.

Has OneCare ever worked on this PC or is this a new install of OneCare?

The bigger problem, as I see it, is that you say that you cannot run *anything* as administrator, which I assume you mean that right clicking a shortcut or program file and selecting Run as Administrator fails. Also, being unable to delete *any* files and uninstall *anything* seems to me that your problem is much greater than OneCare and involves your profile, permissions, and/or a problem with UAC - User Account Control.

When did this problem start?

-steve

Friday, June 13, 2008 11:40 AM
  • It happened June 12th, 2008 at about 5:00 p.m.

Friday, June 13, 2008 5:49 PM
  • And the rest of my questions?

-steve

Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:20 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem. Onecare stopped updating properly and then the same message screen came up. Onecare used to work fine. i am now unable to do anything at all apart from; task manager, end task and browse file. If i try to copy files on order to save work for a reinstall it also freezes. 

While writing this repairing windows finished, the screen now goes black after logging in, but task manager etc still comes up??

- Charles
    Monday, June 30, 2008 4:50 AM
  •  Charl1234 wrote:
    I have exactly the same problem. Onecare stopped updating properly and then the same message screen came up. Onecare used to work fine. i am now unable to do anything at all apart from; task manager, end task and browse file. If i try to copy files on order to save work for a reinstall it also freezes. 

- Charles

Charles, the best I can do is to refer you to support, but I believe that the OneCare problem is a consequence of some other problem with Windows or your hardware.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, June 30, 2008 3:27 PM
  • I also have the exact same problem described above. I spent 2 hours on the phone with OneCare and they directed me to my manufacturer who told me they could not help and to run recovery on my computer.

OneCare worked fine for months. The issue arose last week when I was out of the country and unable to update OneCare. Now I can only get online in safe mode or using Opera browser. I can browse files and run programs such as Office. Any other requests fail. If I try to run CMD or Services to restart Terminal Services or One Care I am told access is denied. But I am the computer administrator.

Can anyone help. I just returned from Italy and have a lot of pictures and files I do not want to lose in Recovery.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:16 AM
  • bronxbomber, in Safe Mode, copy the pictures and data files to an external disk, another computer on a network or perhaps to a CD/DVD if you have burning software that will operate when booted to Safe Mode (use Safe Mode with networking if you have another PC or server that you can copy the data to).

Once your important data has been backed up/copied, use the manufacturer's process to restore the PC to factory condition, reinstall OneCare and other software you may have installed after getting the PC,and restore your data.

-steve

Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:09 PM
  • I have the exact same problem, is it a virus? It happened yesterday, are restarting swichted it back on and it just says Windowns one care was stopped, please restart you computer ... something else can't remember off top of my head. then it doesn't work, so i used restore point and now windows loads, login and screen goes blank .
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:57 AM
  • I'm not sure that I'd call it the exact same problem, but the recommendation from me is the same - please contact OneCare support.

-steve

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:35 PM