From Field showing as recipient on tracked emails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

When I go to track an email from an external contact, the "from" field is correct.

When I do the same for a internal contact, the from field defaults to myself.

Any suggestions welcome.

Kind regards

Mike

Monday, August 4, 2014 10:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Track in CRM uses email address to resolve into System Users/Contacts. If you send a mail or create an activity and try to track, it will track against your User record/Contact record where your email id is provided. HTH.

Regards,

Jithesh

Monday, August 4, 2014 11:16 AM
  • Hi Jithesh

Thank you for the quick response.

I didn't create any activities on my account, the only thing I did was track the 2 received emails ( 1 external and 2 internal)

Apologies for the confusion.

Kind regards

Mike

Monday, August 4, 2014 11:43 AM
  • Hi Mike,

When you track an email, you are actually creating email activity in CRM. On the tracked email, please click on "View in CRM", it will show you the email activity created.

please check the email address in the from field of the email activity and the email address specified on your User account to see if they are same.

Regards,

Jithesh

Monday, August 4, 2014 11:54 AM
  • Hi Jithesh

Thank you for the clarification.

They are not the same, in my email account the from field is showing the correct sender, within CRM, it is showing that the sender is myself.

Kind regards

Mike

Monday, August 4, 2014 12:10 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I am not familiar with this behavior. perhaps a picture of email activity might help to better understand the issue.

Regards,

Jithesh

Monday, August 4, 2014 12:25 PM
  • Hi Jithesh

Unfortunatly I am unable to send photos on here as my account haven't been verified, have you got an email address I can send the screen shots to?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

Mike

Monday, August 4, 2014 12:42 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Is the issue still there? there is a picture icon next to html that allows you to insert an image. please try that?

Regards,

Jithesh

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:19 PM
  • Hi Jithesh

Yes the issue is still there. That is how I tried to upload the photo last time but my account is still unverified which prevents me from uploading photos.

Kind regards

Mike

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 9:19 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Please send the screenshots to kjithesh at the rate y7mail.com.

Regards,

Jithesh

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 11:32 AM
  • Hi Jithesh

Did you get the screen shots?

Kind regards

Mike

Thursday, August 7, 2014 11:28 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Got the screenshots. Thank You.

It is standard CRM behaviour. What you have is two types of records in CRM.

1. your external email that is associated to a contact record - Cheng, Michael

2. Your internal email that is associated with a System User record - Apps CRM.

In real world example, this is how it works.

You create your customer as a contact record in CRM and you add his/her email address to the contact record.

You receive an email from him/her and you promote the email (or automatically track incoming emails). The email address will resolve to the contact record and the email activity will sit against the contact record.

Another way of communication is between two people inside your organisation - they are tracked as if they are sent between two Users in CRM. - this is because the user records will have email address of the sender and recipient inside your org.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jithesh

Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:29 PM
  • Hi Jithesh

My internal email shouldn't be associated with Apps CRM. Apps CRM is another account

Does that mean that if 2 users within the same organisation sends emails to each other or anyone else within the organisation, the "from" field will always be themselves?

Kind regards

Mike

Friday, August 8, 2014 9:11 AM