locked
Unexpected Tanjay Behavior RRS feed

  • Question

  • I’m having a peculiar problem with an OCS Enterprise Voice deployment. This issue threatens to be a major problem for the customer. Everything else had been fairly smooth with this OCS deployment up to this point. We are not doing PBX integration and all the endpoints are Tanjay LG-Nortel 8540’s. Everything was working well up until last week when I deployed the Software Update Server. We tested the latest Tanjay update (July 2008, 1.0.522.101) on a few phones and found that they worked properly. The next day we rolled out the update to all of the phones and that’s when our problems began.

     

    Users started complaining that when they would call another user by clicking on their name on the Tanjay, that the call would go to the user’s cell phone instead of the user’s Tanjay. This was a surprise since all calls made before the firmware upgrade were working as expected, calls would go to the Communicator device by default. We made sure that the destination user did not have any forwarding setup. This meant that the ABServer was pulling the cell phone out of Active Directory and associating it to the user which was expected behavior. However, we assumed that calls would default to a user’s Communicator endpoint and only go to an alternative number unless explicitly specified.

     

    To verify that it was the firmware update that caused the change in behavior, I unboxed another phone that had not been updated yet and disabled the SUS SharePoint site. We logged in as a user who was experiencing the issue and calls were again defaulting to the Communicator endpoint as expected. I connected both phones side-by-side and compared the contact information for contacts on both firmware versions and some user contacts did not have the same contact information. On the newer firmware version, certain contacts were missing the Line URI number.

     

    Is there a way to force Communicator devices to call a user’s SIP URI or Line URI by default when clicking on a contact? Is there a way to downgrade the firmware to a version that does not exhibit this behavior? I can’t seem to find a download link for any firmware version other than 1.0.522.101.

     

    The alternative at this point would be to remove the cell phone numbers from the Address Book by modifying or disabling the ABServer. We would prefer not to this since it is helpful to have cell phone numbers published. Any help is much appreciated!

    Monday, October 20, 2008 1:00 PM

Answers

  • It turns out that installing the updated firmware somehow corrupted the contact information cached on the phone. Some contacts were missing the Line URI phone number. Logging out completely and logging back into the Tanjay forced a full download of the address book which corrected the issue.

     

    To log out, you have to open the options tab and select 'Change User'. Simply rebooting the phone will not force a complete download of the address book.

     

    Jamie Schwinn

    www.systmsny.net

    Monday, October 20, 2008 6:15 PM

All replies

  • From your testing it appears that the new firmware is the root cause; I would definitely contact Microsoft Product Support and open a ticket on this one.  If there is a bug in the new firmware that is causing the problem in your specific deployment they will want to know about it.
    Monday, October 20, 2008 1:09 PM
    Moderator
  • It turns out that installing the updated firmware somehow corrupted the contact information cached on the phone. Some contacts were missing the Line URI phone number. Logging out completely and logging back into the Tanjay forced a full download of the address book which corrected the issue.

     

    To log out, you have to open the options tab and select 'Change User'. Simply rebooting the phone will not force a complete download of the address book.

     

    Jamie Schwinn

    www.systmsny.net

    Monday, October 20, 2008 6:15 PM
  • Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:50 PM