none
Xbox 360 or Playstation 3? RRS feed

• Question

• Since there has been a lot of discussion about the XBox prize in the forums, i wanted to know what you all think is better?

XBox 360 or Playstation 3?

I know a lot if us havent tried them first hand till now, but we have surely read about it online and in game conventions,etc.

Waiting to hear your magical thoughts...

Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:19 PM

Answers

• Without any doubt PS3 is the winner.

PS3 was released almost a year after MS was released, so it might have much better technologies and other things in it.
    PS3 has 8 processors, one for backup and the rest that works simultaneously, of em one being the master. (Correct me if i am wrong in the counts)

Also PS3 costs 40K while xbox360 costs about only 20K Stick out tongue
    Friday, June 8, 2007 7:52 AM
  • Also PS3 has 1080p full support, while xbox360's actual resolution is a bit lower, but it upgrades it on the fly to be viewed as 1080p.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 7:54 AM
  • The specs you have given are right. But have you seen the game titles on xbox 360? The games are awesome dude. The only thing is that the controller could have been designed better.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 10:02 AM
  • Yes man game titles for xbox are really nice. But PS3 will not stay behind, they have even more solid titles in store Smile
    Friday, June 8, 2007 10:31 AM
  • Thats cool Harshil. I wonder what others including Varun, Arijit, Raghuram , Anoop and Fredrick think???
    Friday, June 8, 2007 11:02 AM
  • @Adnan, i dont think they know about this thread, better post this thread info in the thread started By Varun here  Post the link to new Threads here...

So that they can know that you have started the thread and write in their views.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 11:19 AM
  • Oops, sorry i forgot. Any way i am posting it right away. Thanks for the reminder!
    Friday, June 8, 2007 1:22 PM
  • Good that you posted in the other thread. I guess now others will get the alerts, and surely reply here Smile
    Friday, June 8, 2007 1:56 PM
  • Its very nice to see that there are about a dozen of members who are taking part in the forums very actively with full commitment. Its really a great support from all the guys who are taking part in the forum with full commitment.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 1:57 PM
  • The XBox has the 'Halo' Series to boast of. It is a phenomenon that has not been matched by any of the playstation games.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 2:00 PM
  • I completely agree with you Arijit. In fact some say that Halo is the game that sold XBox.

But there are some games i would like to play on the ps3. Games like spyro (the dragon) were awesome in the original PlayStation. And let us not forget Crash Bandicoot, the cute little fox and the official mascot of ps1.

Its sad that such games are not remade for the new consoles. Hope sony starts the series again.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 4:16 PM
  • Its true man, Halo was the flagship for xbox sales, and i think halo3 will be the flagship for xbox360 sales Smile

But thats just not one game anyone would like to play all the time. PS3 has many other games that are much much better than Halo. But its upon ones choice which one likes, Some people like tetris Stick out tongue Its completely up to the players choice what one likes.

But the PS3 is far better in terms of quality output and graphics in comparison of xbox360 Smile
    I am not criticizing xbox360. They have done exceptionally well , Its just the time at which the ps3 was released, it was released almost an year  after xbox360 released, so the technology it would have is definitely superior.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 4:28 PM
  • I dont know much about both the pieces, so cannot comment on them much, but about the game Halo, I had played it on my comp and i really liked it, but still CS rules the chart, Is CS there for Xbox ???
    Friday, June 8, 2007 5:48 PM
  • I dont know whether CS is available for consoles or not. But i can surely comment about CS. CS is one of the most popular game that is being played online.

But i dont like it much cause its reality kind of thing. Like with1-2 shots, you die.

I like games like Quake-III Arena and Unreal Tournament . I dont think any other game can rule Quake-III and Unreal Tournaments. They are really awesome lots of adrenaline rush in it ad very fast playing games; ) thats what i feel  a game should have. 
    Friday, June 8, 2007 6:23 PM
  • and let us not forget games like GTA and Need for speed. Those games sold like Hot Cakes. I have played NFS Undergound 2 on PS3 and i must admit the experience was mindblowing. (not physically like in CS  )
    Friday, June 8, 2007 6:44 PM
  • Everyone was expecting Sony to deliver a technological powerhouse with its PlayStation 3 debut at E3 and Sony sure didn't disappoint. The PlayStation 3 combines the power of the Cell processor and the Nvidia-based RSX graphics processor to create what Sony Computer Entertainment's Ken Kutaragi calls a "supercomputer for computer entertainment."

Which Numbers Are Meaningful?

However, whenever you look at console technical specs, you also have to take them with a whole truckload of salt since the game console market has a long history of making a big deal out of numbers that don't really matter, or even making up numbers that have a tenuous grasp on reality. Remember the internal data precision arguments? That specification measurement became useless fairly quickly once marketing departments start adding different specification numbers together to get up into 64-bit or 128-bit range (OK, Turbografix started doing it back when we were still in the 16-bit era).

Console specifications are a lot like statistics in that you can really change perceptions by paying special attention in selecting what you measure and how you go about measuring it. Microsoft may have been the first manufacturer to announce its next-generation console, but in order to gain that advantage Microsoft also had to reveal its console specs first--giving a fat target-list for Sony's marketing team. Do you really think that Sony would have even mentioned the 51-billion-dot-product-operations per second number during the PS3 press conference if Microsoft hadn't boasted that the Xbox 360 could do 9-billion-dot-product-operations per second? What if we told you that Sony combined the CPU and GPU performance numbers to come up with the 51-billion number while Microsoft only reported its CPU performance number? The Xbox 360 actually has 33.6-billion-dot-product-operations per second if you also include GPU performance.

We're not saying to ignore specifications altogether--most of them are relevant in some way or another. And we're going to talk about the specifications that really jumped out at us at first glance. Let's start with the processor. Sony has announced that the PlayStation 3 will have a 3.2GHz Cell processor that consists of a PowerPC-based core with seven synergistic processing units. The PS3 spec-sheet says that there's an eighth SPE reserved for redundancy--whatever that means. The Xbox 360, in comparison, has a multicore PowerPC processor that has three dual-threaded cores that can handle six total threads at a time. You might be able to call the Cell's SPEs overgrown math units, but we think Sony's Cell processor wins from a brute power perspective.

Apples to Apples on Graphics?

The Xbox 360's ATI graphics core also throws a wrench into our graphics comparison since it uses a new-fangled Unified Shader Architecture that mixes up pixel- and vertex-pipelines and makes comparison to older video card technology very difficult. The Xbox 360 graphics core may have 48-pipelines, but we don't know how powerful they are compared to dedicated pixel and vertex pipelines.

The PlayStation 3 has a pretty strong Nvidia graphics processor, but you can see how Sony may be afraid of the specification sheet comparison by the pipeline number conveniently omitted from the PS3 graphics specifications. We're guessing that the RSX graphics processors has a traditional, non-unified shader engine, so it likely has a smaller total "pipeline" number than the ATI chip. Even if the RSX's normal pipelines are more powerful than the Xbox 360's pipes, Sony doesn't want to risk printing a lower "pipeline" number since people won't understand that it isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

So how many traditional pipelines does the RSX have? Sony has revealed that the RSX GPU has a 550MHz core clock and has over 300 million transistors. Sony has also stated that the chip is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra cards put together. Your first guess might be that Nvidia simply doubled the pipeline number on the 6800 Ultra to make the RSX, but you also have to remember that the Ultra only clocked in at 400MHz. If the "double" performance measurement is based on fill-rate performance rather than hardware, the clock speed increase up to 550MHz is clear sign that the hardware improvement isn't from a pure doubling of pipelines. We're guessing that the actual pipeline count is going to be at 24, which is about right for 300 million transistors and, at 550MHz, has just a slightly larger fill-rate than two GeForce 6800 Ultras clocked at 400MHz. Since the GeForce Ultra had 6 vertex pipelines, the RSX likely has 6 more vertex pipes in addition to the 24 pixel pipelines.

Memory and Media

From a memory standpoint, both systems are roughly equal with about 512MB of memory dedicated to system and graphics. The Xbox 360 has Unified Memory Architecture that lets the CPU and GPU share the system's 512MB of memory. The PlayStation 3 on the other had has 256MB of XDR memory and 256MB of GDDR3 memory dedicated to graphics. We still have to take a closer look at the memory bandwidth differences, but game developers will be happy with the graphics bandwidth and memory space available for both systems.

The PlayStation 3 comes with an array of data storage and transfer features. Whereas the PlayStation 2 only supported a memory card and the optional hard drive attachment (for a brief time), the PlayStation 3 supports numerous forms of portable media. The PlayStation 3 has 6 USB 2.0 ports, a memory stick slot, an SD slot, and, in stark contrast to many of Sony’s other consumer electronics products, the system actually supports compact flash. Sony even saved a space for a removable 2.5” hard drive.

The Xbox 360, in comparison, doesn't have as much in the way of media support. It has two memory card slots and a handful of USB ports that are rumored to accommodate a host of devices like the iPod, USB memory sticks, and even Sony’s own PSP. However, the real power of the 360 is in its networking ability. We can't forget that Bill Gates's new system can also reach across the network to access media from local, Windows-based PCs.

Sony and Xbox took different strategies when it came to decide on an optical drives. Sony decided to use the PS3 to further its own Blu-ray format, which allows for discs that can hold about 54GB each. The Xbox 360 will support dual layer DVDs, which can hold about 9GB worth of data. Both consoles will support older media formats such as CD-ROMs, conventional DVDs, and user-created DVDs. You'll impress a lot of ladies with the Blu-ray line, but the Xbox 360's normal DVD should serve you just fine in the near future.

A/V and Networking

Sony’s PlayStation 3 provides numerous A/V output hookups. The upcoming console comes with not one but two HDMI outputs, and PlayStation 3 will be able to utilize both at the same time to output two 1080p video streams at the same time allowing for dual-screen HDTV gaming. Microsoft hasn't finalized the console AV outputs yet, but we do know that the Xbox 360 has the more practical offerings with 720p and 1080i support. Both systems process multi-channel surround sound audio in software.

Network connectivity is going to be an enormous part of the next generation of consoles since destroying your neighbor in Halo 2 is fun, but making that random stranger cry on Xbox Live is priceless. Sony’s Playstation 3 comes with a built-it Ethernet adapter, and also includes an 802.11 b/g wireless adapter. The Xbox 360 comes with a built-in Ethernet adapter, but the 802.11 a/b/g wireless adapter will cost extra.

That's it for our quick, spec-sheet driven comparison, but keep your eyes on GameSpot for more hardware updates from E3! In the meantime, peruse the spec comparison chart below, read our massive news article covering the PlayStation 3 launch, and discuss the announcements.

Compare:
    Product Name
    Sony PlayStation 3

Microsoft Xbox 360
    Release Date 2006 Q4 2005
    Controller Bluetooth Wireless 2.4 GHz Wireless
    Graphics Core Clock Speed 550 MHz 500MHz
    Graphics Processor RSX "Reality Synthesizer" Custom ATI Processor
    System Memory 256 MB XDR 512 MB UMA (Shared with GPU)
    Video Memory 256 MB 512 MB UMA (Shared with CPU)
    Embedded Video Memory n/a 10MB eDRAM
    Resolution 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p 480p, 480i, 720p, 1080i
    Controller Ports Supports up to 7 Bluetooth Controllers Supports up to 4 Controllers
    Digital Media Formats Compatible with CR-ROM, CDR+W, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD
    Game Media Format Blu-ray BD-ROM Dual-Layer DVD-ROM
    Integrated Communications 802.11 B/G Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0 802.11 A/B/G Wi-Fi ready, adapter not included
    Other I/O Connectors Ethernet (RJ45), 6 USB 2.0, CF Slot (Type I, II), SD Slot (Regular, Compact), Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo, 1 x Optical Audio 3 USB 2.0, 2 Memory Slots, Ethernet Port (RJ45)
    Plug and Play Storage 2.5in Removable Hard Drive (Unkown Size) 20GB Removable Hard Drive
    Standard AV Output Connectors 2 x HDMI, 1 x AV n/a
    L2 Cache 512KB L2 cache, 256KB per SPE 1MB
    Processor Cell Processor Custom IBM PowerPC CPU
    Processor Clock Speed 3.2 GHz 3.2 GHz
    Built-in Features Backward Compatible with PlayStation 2, Stands Vertically or Horizontally Backward Compatible with Xbox (limited), Stands Vertically or Horizontally, Interchangable Face Plates, Xbox Live Service, Media Center Extender
    Memory Bandwidth 25.6 GB/s main memory bandwidth, 22.4 GB/s video memory bandwidth 22.4 GB/s main memory bandwidth, 256 GB/s to eDRAM, 21.6 GB/s FSB
    Surround Sound Multichannel Output (software driven) Multichannel Output (software driven)
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 7:17 AM
  • With the kind of Playstation Vs XBox details above, I can say for myself that the Playstation wins Hands down from the technology point of view. However, when you look at the games being shipped compatible with playstations, I believe they always leave something more to be desired kinda feeling.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 7:20 AM
  • great!!
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 11:26 AM
  • Thanks Arijit for the detailed comparison. From the list PS3 seems to be the better one Smile
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 4:34 PM
  • Published June 11, 2007

New York—Microsoft and Games for Change (G4C) announced a joint commitment to explore new ways to bring together the world of digital gaming with the world of social change at the fourth annual Games for Change Festival at Parsons The New School for Design.

Xbox 360 Games for Change Challenge

Microsoft has outlined an all-new socially minded global gaming competition, the "Xbox 360 Games for Change Challenge." This worldwide competition, set to launch this summer to participants in more than 100 countries, will challenge college students to come up with the best game based on the theme of global warming. Jeff Bell, corporate vice president of global marketing for Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business, made the announcement during the 2007 Games for Change Festival Expo Night, following an introduction from Bob Kerrey, president of The New School and former Nebraska Senator.

Microsoft and Games for Change will award cash prizes to the best entries, which can be applied to the students' education. Winners will receive an invitation to present their entries to the Microsoft games management team for possible inclusion as a download in the popular Xbox LIVE Arcade service. Finally, the first place team or individual will also win the opportunity to become an apprentice at Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business as part of its internship program.

XNA Game Studio Express

The students will develop games based on global warming using Microsoft® XNA™ Game Studio Express software. Launched in December of 2006, XNA Game Studio Express has democratized game development by leveling the playing field for smaller game developers, non-professionals, and academics who wish to be involved in driving innovation and creativity in the game design process.

"The current generation of gamers is among the most socially conscious in history," said Suzanne Seggerman, co-founder and president of Games for Change. "We know from experience that young people are looking for ways to help make the world a better place, and who better to support this effort than an industry leader like Microsoft?"

"Microsoft is very happy to work with Games for Change in taking video gaming to a whole new level by bringing in brand-new concepts and people to the game-making process," said Bell. "We are passionate about the potential games have in expanding horizons, creating networks, and helping design real-world solutions."

Check out the Xbox 360 Games for Change Challenge at: www.xbox.com/g4c

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:10 PM
  • Yeah this the second such event bieng held by MS. The last event was held with the release of XBox.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:55 PM
  • x box !!
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:14 PM
  • Nice Events, let them come to India too.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:45 PM
  • Yeah a gaming competition would be awesome. Choose the title, your team and blast your opponents to kingdom come. That would surely be fun. And with these types of contests you dont even need to have prizes, a chance to play the latest titles would be a dream come true in itself.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:34 PM
  • When ever any gaming expos are organized, they are in bigger cities like chennai, bangalore, pune, mumbai. I think they should also make it to other areas to reach out the other mass too.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:56 PM
  • Well just to inform you, Reliance Web world does organizes such gaming competition for CS...
    You have to pick your team, get registered and blast off.. 1st locally, than states and finally at national level.. and lots of prizes...
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 4:29 PM
  • Hey guys, have you tried out these awesome game called Clive Braker's: Undying and Thief.

Get them if you can and play them in the night with the lights off and sound at max. Guaranteed to send a shiver down your spine.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 7:42 AM
  • @Arijit, I have played both the titles. Undying is one of the greatest titles in the horror genre. I personally enjoyed playing Thief II - The metal age. The awesome lighting and the superb sound, made gameplay immensly fun. Thief III was a bit dissapointing though. Another beautiful game i miss is, 'escape from monkey island' which was in the monkey island series from lucas arts.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 12:38 PM
  • haven't tried any of em Sad
    Friday, June 15, 2007 2:40 PM
  • No problem m8, don't be sad. Once u get hands on that XBox 360, u will be able to try all of them.

Best of Luck.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:34 AM
  • @Harshil, dont forget to invite me to try out some new games...
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:57 PM
  • Sure adnan Smile But i think you will have to try your hands on the windows phone that i will get Smile my ranks dropped ;P hehe
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:01 PM

All replies

• Without any doubt PS3 is the winner.

PS3 was released almost a year after MS was released, so it might have much better technologies and other things in it.
    PS3 has 8 processors, one for backup and the rest that works simultaneously, of em one being the master. (Correct me if i am wrong in the counts)

Also PS3 costs 40K while xbox360 costs about only 20K Stick out tongue
    Friday, June 8, 2007 7:52 AM
  • Also PS3 has 1080p full support, while xbox360's actual resolution is a bit lower, but it upgrades it on the fly to be viewed as 1080p.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 7:54 AM
  • The specs you have given are right. But have you seen the game titles on xbox 360? The games are awesome dude. The only thing is that the controller could have been designed better.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 10:02 AM
  • Yes man game titles for xbox are really nice. But PS3 will not stay behind, they have even more solid titles in store Smile
    Friday, June 8, 2007 10:31 AM
  • Thats cool Harshil. I wonder what others including Varun, Arijit, Raghuram , Anoop and Fredrick think???
    Friday, June 8, 2007 11:02 AM
  • @Adnan, i dont think they know about this thread, better post this thread info in the thread started By Varun here  Post the link to new Threads here...

So that they can know that you have started the thread and write in their views.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 11:19 AM
  • Oops, sorry i forgot. Any way i am posting it right away. Thanks for the reminder!
    Friday, June 8, 2007 1:22 PM
  • Good that you posted in the other thread. I guess now others will get the alerts, and surely reply here Smile
    Friday, June 8, 2007 1:56 PM
  • Its very nice to see that there are about a dozen of members who are taking part in the forums very actively with full commitment. Its really a great support from all the guys who are taking part in the forum with full commitment.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 1:57 PM
  • The XBox has the 'Halo' Series to boast of. It is a phenomenon that has not been matched by any of the playstation games.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 2:00 PM
  • I completely agree with you Arijit. In fact some say that Halo is the game that sold XBox.

But there are some games i would like to play on the ps3. Games like spyro (the dragon) were awesome in the original PlayStation. And let us not forget Crash Bandicoot, the cute little fox and the official mascot of ps1.

Its sad that such games are not remade for the new consoles. Hope sony starts the series again.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 4:16 PM
  • Its true man, Halo was the flagship for xbox sales, and i think halo3 will be the flagship for xbox360 sales Smile

But thats just not one game anyone would like to play all the time. PS3 has many other games that are much much better than Halo. But its upon ones choice which one likes, Some people like tetris Stick out tongue Its completely up to the players choice what one likes.

But the PS3 is far better in terms of quality output and graphics in comparison of xbox360 Smile
    I am not criticizing xbox360. They have done exceptionally well , Its just the time at which the ps3 was released, it was released almost an year  after xbox360 released, so the technology it would have is definitely superior.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 4:28 PM
  • I dont know much about both the pieces, so cannot comment on them much, but about the game Halo, I had played it on my comp and i really liked it, but still CS rules the chart, Is CS there for Xbox ???
    Friday, June 8, 2007 5:48 PM
  • I dont know whether CS is available for consoles or not. But i can surely comment about CS. CS is one of the most popular game that is being played online.

But i dont like it much cause its reality kind of thing. Like with1-2 shots, you die.

I like games like Quake-III Arena and Unreal Tournament . I dont think any other game can rule Quake-III and Unreal Tournaments. They are really awesome lots of adrenaline rush in it ad very fast playing games; ) thats what i feel  a game should have. 
    Friday, June 8, 2007 6:23 PM
  • and let us not forget games like GTA and Need for speed. Those games sold like Hot Cakes. I have played NFS Undergound 2 on PS3 and i must admit the experience was mindblowing. (not physically like in CS  )
    Friday, June 8, 2007 6:44 PM
  • Everyone was expecting Sony to deliver a technological powerhouse with its PlayStation 3 debut at E3 and Sony sure didn't disappoint. The PlayStation 3 combines the power of the Cell processor and the Nvidia-based RSX graphics processor to create what Sony Computer Entertainment's Ken Kutaragi calls a "supercomputer for computer entertainment."

Which Numbers Are Meaningful?

However, whenever you look at console technical specs, you also have to take them with a whole truckload of salt since the game console market has a long history of making a big deal out of numbers that don't really matter, or even making up numbers that have a tenuous grasp on reality. Remember the internal data precision arguments? That specification measurement became useless fairly quickly once marketing departments start adding different specification numbers together to get up into 64-bit or 128-bit range (OK, Turbografix started doing it back when we were still in the 16-bit era).

Console specifications are a lot like statistics in that you can really change perceptions by paying special attention in selecting what you measure and how you go about measuring it. Microsoft may have been the first manufacturer to announce its next-generation console, but in order to gain that advantage Microsoft also had to reveal its console specs first--giving a fat target-list for Sony's marketing team. Do you really think that Sony would have even mentioned the 51-billion-dot-product-operations per second number during the PS3 press conference if Microsoft hadn't boasted that the Xbox 360 could do 9-billion-dot-product-operations per second? What if we told you that Sony combined the CPU and GPU performance numbers to come up with the 51-billion number while Microsoft only reported its CPU performance number? The Xbox 360 actually has 33.6-billion-dot-product-operations per second if you also include GPU performance.

We're not saying to ignore specifications altogether--most of them are relevant in some way or another. And we're going to talk about the specifications that really jumped out at us at first glance. Let's start with the processor. Sony has announced that the PlayStation 3 will have a 3.2GHz Cell processor that consists of a PowerPC-based core with seven synergistic processing units. The PS3 spec-sheet says that there's an eighth SPE reserved for redundancy--whatever that means. The Xbox 360, in comparison, has a multicore PowerPC processor that has three dual-threaded cores that can handle six total threads at a time. You might be able to call the Cell's SPEs overgrown math units, but we think Sony's Cell processor wins from a brute power perspective.

Apples to Apples on Graphics?

The Xbox 360's ATI graphics core also throws a wrench into our graphics comparison since it uses a new-fangled Unified Shader Architecture that mixes up pixel- and vertex-pipelines and makes comparison to older video card technology very difficult. The Xbox 360 graphics core may have 48-pipelines, but we don't know how powerful they are compared to dedicated pixel and vertex pipelines.

The PlayStation 3 has a pretty strong Nvidia graphics processor, but you can see how Sony may be afraid of the specification sheet comparison by the pipeline number conveniently omitted from the PS3 graphics specifications. We're guessing that the RSX graphics processors has a traditional, non-unified shader engine, so it likely has a smaller total "pipeline" number than the ATI chip. Even if the RSX's normal pipelines are more powerful than the Xbox 360's pipes, Sony doesn't want to risk printing a lower "pipeline" number since people won't understand that it isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

So how many traditional pipelines does the RSX have? Sony has revealed that the RSX GPU has a 550MHz core clock and has over 300 million transistors. Sony has also stated that the chip is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra cards put together. Your first guess might be that Nvidia simply doubled the pipeline number on the 6800 Ultra to make the RSX, but you also have to remember that the Ultra only clocked in at 400MHz. If the "double" performance measurement is based on fill-rate performance rather than hardware, the clock speed increase up to 550MHz is clear sign that the hardware improvement isn't from a pure doubling of pipelines. We're guessing that the actual pipeline count is going to be at 24, which is about right for 300 million transistors and, at 550MHz, has just a slightly larger fill-rate than two GeForce 6800 Ultras clocked at 400MHz. Since the GeForce Ultra had 6 vertex pipelines, the RSX likely has 6 more vertex pipes in addition to the 24 pixel pipelines.

Memory and Media

From a memory standpoint, both systems are roughly equal with about 512MB of memory dedicated to system and graphics. The Xbox 360 has Unified Memory Architecture that lets the CPU and GPU share the system's 512MB of memory. The PlayStation 3 on the other had has 256MB of XDR memory and 256MB of GDDR3 memory dedicated to graphics. We still have to take a closer look at the memory bandwidth differences, but game developers will be happy with the graphics bandwidth and memory space available for both systems.

The PlayStation 3 comes with an array of data storage and transfer features. Whereas the PlayStation 2 only supported a memory card and the optional hard drive attachment (for a brief time), the PlayStation 3 supports numerous forms of portable media. The PlayStation 3 has 6 USB 2.0 ports, a memory stick slot, an SD slot, and, in stark contrast to many of Sony’s other consumer electronics products, the system actually supports compact flash. Sony even saved a space for a removable 2.5” hard drive.

The Xbox 360, in comparison, doesn't have as much in the way of media support. It has two memory card slots and a handful of USB ports that are rumored to accommodate a host of devices like the iPod, USB memory sticks, and even Sony’s own PSP. However, the real power of the 360 is in its networking ability. We can't forget that Bill Gates's new system can also reach across the network to access media from local, Windows-based PCs.

Sony and Xbox took different strategies when it came to decide on an optical drives. Sony decided to use the PS3 to further its own Blu-ray format, which allows for discs that can hold about 54GB each. The Xbox 360 will support dual layer DVDs, which can hold about 9GB worth of data. Both consoles will support older media formats such as CD-ROMs, conventional DVDs, and user-created DVDs. You'll impress a lot of ladies with the Blu-ray line, but the Xbox 360's normal DVD should serve you just fine in the near future.

A/V and Networking

Sony’s PlayStation 3 provides numerous A/V output hookups. The upcoming console comes with not one but two HDMI outputs, and PlayStation 3 will be able to utilize both at the same time to output two 1080p video streams at the same time allowing for dual-screen HDTV gaming. Microsoft hasn't finalized the console AV outputs yet, but we do know that the Xbox 360 has the more practical offerings with 720p and 1080i support. Both systems process multi-channel surround sound audio in software.

Network connectivity is going to be an enormous part of the next generation of consoles since destroying your neighbor in Halo 2 is fun, but making that random stranger cry on Xbox Live is priceless. Sony’s Playstation 3 comes with a built-it Ethernet adapter, and also includes an 802.11 b/g wireless adapter. The Xbox 360 comes with a built-in Ethernet adapter, but the 802.11 a/b/g wireless adapter will cost extra.

That's it for our quick, spec-sheet driven comparison, but keep your eyes on GameSpot for more hardware updates from E3! In the meantime, peruse the spec comparison chart below, read our massive news article covering the PlayStation 3 launch, and discuss the announcements.

Compare:
    Product Name
    Sony PlayStation 3

Microsoft Xbox 360
    Release Date 2006 Q4 2005
    Controller Bluetooth Wireless 2.4 GHz Wireless
    Graphics Core Clock Speed 550 MHz 500MHz
    Graphics Processor RSX "Reality Synthesizer" Custom ATI Processor
    System Memory 256 MB XDR 512 MB UMA (Shared with GPU)
    Video Memory 256 MB 512 MB UMA (Shared with CPU)
    Embedded Video Memory n/a 10MB eDRAM
    Resolution 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p 480p, 480i, 720p, 1080i
    Controller Ports Supports up to 7 Bluetooth Controllers Supports up to 4 Controllers
    Digital Media Formats Compatible with CR-ROM, CDR+W, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD
    Game Media Format Blu-ray BD-ROM Dual-Layer DVD-ROM
    Integrated Communications 802.11 B/G Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0 802.11 A/B/G Wi-Fi ready, adapter not included
    Other I/O Connectors Ethernet (RJ45), 6 USB 2.0, CF Slot (Type I, II), SD Slot (Regular, Compact), Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo, 1 x Optical Audio 3 USB 2.0, 2 Memory Slots, Ethernet Port (RJ45)
    Plug and Play Storage 2.5in Removable Hard Drive (Unkown Size) 20GB Removable Hard Drive
    Standard AV Output Connectors 2 x HDMI, 1 x AV n/a
    L2 Cache 512KB L2 cache, 256KB per SPE 1MB
    Processor Cell Processor Custom IBM PowerPC CPU
    Processor Clock Speed 3.2 GHz 3.2 GHz
    Built-in Features Backward Compatible with PlayStation 2, Stands Vertically or Horizontally Backward Compatible with Xbox (limited), Stands Vertically or Horizontally, Interchangable Face Plates, Xbox Live Service, Media Center Extender
    Memory Bandwidth 25.6 GB/s main memory bandwidth, 22.4 GB/s video memory bandwidth 22.4 GB/s main memory bandwidth, 256 GB/s to eDRAM, 21.6 GB/s FSB
    Surround Sound Multichannel Output (software driven) Multichannel Output (software driven)
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 7:17 AM
  • With the kind of Playstation Vs XBox details above, I can say for myself that the Playstation wins Hands down from the technology point of view. However, when you look at the games being shipped compatible with playstations, I believe they always leave something more to be desired kinda feeling.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 7:20 AM
  • great!!
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 11:26 AM
  • Thanks Arijit for the detailed comparison. From the list PS3 seems to be the better one Smile
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 4:34 PM
  • Published June 11, 2007

New York—Microsoft and Games for Change (G4C) announced a joint commitment to explore new ways to bring together the world of digital gaming with the world of social change at the fourth annual Games for Change Festival at Parsons The New School for Design.

Xbox 360 Games for Change Challenge

Microsoft has outlined an all-new socially minded global gaming competition, the "Xbox 360 Games for Change Challenge." This worldwide competition, set to launch this summer to participants in more than 100 countries, will challenge college students to come up with the best game based on the theme of global warming. Jeff Bell, corporate vice president of global marketing for Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business, made the announcement during the 2007 Games for Change Festival Expo Night, following an introduction from Bob Kerrey, president of The New School and former Nebraska Senator.

Microsoft and Games for Change will award cash prizes to the best entries, which can be applied to the students' education. Winners will receive an invitation to present their entries to the Microsoft games management team for possible inclusion as a download in the popular Xbox LIVE Arcade service. Finally, the first place team or individual will also win the opportunity to become an apprentice at Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business as part of its internship program.

XNA Game Studio Express

The students will develop games based on global warming using Microsoft® XNA™ Game Studio Express software. Launched in December of 2006, XNA Game Studio Express has democratized game development by leveling the playing field for smaller game developers, non-professionals, and academics who wish to be involved in driving innovation and creativity in the game design process.

"The current generation of gamers is among the most socially conscious in history," said Suzanne Seggerman, co-founder and president of Games for Change. "We know from experience that young people are looking for ways to help make the world a better place, and who better to support this effort than an industry leader like Microsoft?"

"Microsoft is very happy to work with Games for Change in taking video gaming to a whole new level by bringing in brand-new concepts and people to the game-making process," said Bell. "We are passionate about the potential games have in expanding horizons, creating networks, and helping design real-world solutions."

Check out the Xbox 360 Games for Change Challenge at: www.xbox.com/g4c

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:10 PM
  • Yeah this the second such event bieng held by MS. The last event was held with the release of XBox.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:55 PM
  • x box !!
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:14 PM
  • Nice Events, let them come to India too.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:45 PM
  • Yeah a gaming competition would be awesome. Choose the title, your team and blast your opponents to kingdom come. That would surely be fun. And with these types of contests you dont even need to have prizes, a chance to play the latest titles would be a dream come true in itself.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:34 PM
  • When ever any gaming expos are organized, they are in bigger cities like chennai, bangalore, pune, mumbai. I think they should also make it to other areas to reach out the other mass too.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:56 PM
  • Well just to inform you, Reliance Web world does organizes such gaming competition for CS...
    You have to pick your team, get registered and blast off.. 1st locally, than states and finally at national level.. and lots of prizes...
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 4:29 PM
  • @Varun Thanks for the info. I am very happy to hear this news. You could you give more details like when does this contest start, where can i apply, what type of games are available and how many team members are allowed?
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Actually I used to go to the Webworld regularly with friends a year back, so i had an idea.. rite now too busy with mca for anything... Just visit one of the Reliance webworld near by and ask them.. they will tell you when they are having the next competition... They generally have the competition for Counter Strike... I think they also had one for Age of Empire... But Age of Empire is a long game, so they prefer CS.....

There is no limit in the Number of teams, I think that they allowed a team of 5 or 6 members... And the competition is held online at the the Reliance Webworld only.. the best part was that you register for the game for 100 Rs. per person, and you get to play a lot.... so it was very cost efective for the gamers
    Friday, June 15, 2007 3:52 AM
  • Thats really nice man. Thanks for the info Varun. When the gaming competition at Reliance was held, there was no webworld here in my city. hehe Unlucky.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 4:16 AM
  • Hey guys, have you tried out these awesome game called Clive Braker's: Undying and Thief.

Get them if you can and play them in the night with the lights off and sound at max. Guaranteed to send a shiver down your spine.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 7:42 AM
  • @Arijit, I have played both the titles. Undying is one of the greatest titles in the horror genre. I personally enjoyed playing Thief II - The metal age. The awesome lighting and the superb sound, made gameplay immensly fun. Thief III was a bit dissapointing though. Another beautiful game i miss is, 'escape from monkey island' which was in the monkey island series from lucas arts.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 12:38 PM
  • haven't tried any of em Sad
    Friday, June 15, 2007 2:40 PM
  • No problem m8, don't be sad. Once u get hands on that XBox 360, u will be able to try all of them.

Best of Luck.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:34 AM
  • @Harshil, dont forget to invite me to try out some new games...
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:57 PM
  • Sure adnan Smile But i think you will have to try your hands on the windows phone that i will get Smile my ranks dropped ;P hehe
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:01 PM
  • I would say that if you go by absolute power alone and capabilities,then the PS3 is way better......as it has a integrated blu-ray drive and several other hardware that surpasses the Xbox 360 ones....

But the Xbox 360 has some exclusive game titles like Gears of Wars and several more game libraries.....and is a much cheaper option...

So if i were to buy one today,i would choose the Xbox 360...
    Friday, September 14, 2007 2:18 PM
  • The Xbox 360 has shown better response this time than the Playstation 3 and it has more than twice more units than the PS 3
    May be the pricing of PS 3 has turned to be a key factor of such a performance as this time Ninetendo Wii is the clear leader
    Friday, September 14, 2007 7:36 PM