All my subfolders in my synch'ed folders are empty! RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed Live Mesh this afternoon and began the process of sychronizing my folders.  I'm just using peer-to-peer between a Win Vista desktop and a Win 7 laptop, not using Live Desktop much.  I'm especially interested in synching my pictures and documents, but although the subfolders are there, they're empty.  The devices show that they are synched.  What did I do wrong?
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:15 AM

Answers

• You cannot change the destination once you have accepted the folder on the device. When you add a folder to the Mesh on the Live Desktop or on any device in the Mesh, a shortcut appears on your other devices that is light blue, representing the offered folder. Nothing is synchronizing yet. If you click that shortcut and click OK, the sync will happen at that location - the desktop of the PC. Once you've done that, the destination on that PC cannot be changed. In order to change it you need to first change the sync settings for that folder on the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com to *not* sync with that PC. This should cause the blue Mesh folder on the desktop to become a yellow Windows folder. Once that happens you can move or delete the folder. This folder will also become a yellow folder if you uninstall the Mesh client.  OK, got it.  That worked.  Folders successfully merging at this time!

What about my initial questions for you?

"So, on the destination PC, you are looking in each of the folders that are now Blue Mesh folders and they are all empty? The folder on the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com also empty?"  On the destination PC, the Blue Mesh folders were NOT completely empty.  The top-level folder contained files and subfolders, but those subfolders were empty (no placeholders either).  I only had the Contacts folder on the Live Desktop at the time and it was populated with the small contact files (2k each).  Comes down to lack of patience on my part and not really understanding how it would work.

Thanks for your help, Stephen.  I think this question is sufficiently answered!
    • Marked as answer by DaveJV Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:38 PM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:37 PM

All replies

• What do you mean that they show that they are synched? When you add a folder to the Mesh and then add that folder to another PC in the Mesh, the process of getting the fodles synchronized can take some time, especially if the folder contains many files.

Were you merging folders or accepting the default location of the desktop on the 2nd PC?

"Not using Live Desktop much" means what, exactly?

Can you describe your folder configuration? Which PC is the source, where is the folder located, what are the contents (size and # files), and where is the destination folder on the other PC? Note also if a folder is also synchronized with the Live Desktop.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 11:34 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Stephen!  Answers embedded below.

What do you mean that they show that they are synched?  On the Live Mesh Desktop, under "Synchronization" it says the devices are up-to-date as of 2 minutes ago. 

When you add a folder to the Mesh and then add that folder to another PC in the Mesh, the process of getting the fodles synchronized can take some time, especially if the folder contains many files.

Were you merging folders or accepting the default location of the desktop on the 2nd PC?  I accepted the default location of the 2nd PC desktop.  Was reluctant to merge until I am more comfortable with the service.

"Not using Live Desktop much" means what, exactly?  I only synched one folder with the Live Desktop.  The rest were peer-to-peer, not synched with the Desktop (Several were WAY too big as you'll see below).

Can you describe your folder configuration? I'm trying to synch the standard Windows folders; Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music, Contacts (the only one on the Live Desktop also), and Favorites between a Vista desktop PC and a Win 7 Notebook which are connected to my wireless network Workgroup. 

Which PC is the source, where is the folder located, what are the contents (size and # files), and where is the destination folder on the other PC? Note also if a folder is also synchronized with the Live Desktop. The older desktop PC is the source and the files are on the machine's second harddrive, separate from the OS partition.  The Contacts folder contains 384 items (all less than 2k in size), no subfolders, synchronized with the live desktop also.  The Downloads folder contains 134 files and 10 subfolders (which in turn have numerous subfolders), totaling 1.14GB in size. The Pictures folder is probably the issue.  It contains over 38k files in 525 folders totaling 41.5GB.  The Music Folder contains over 2200 files in 362 folders totaling 11.1GB.  Right now, the destination folder on the 2nd PC (the notebook) is the default desktop live mesh folders. 

I know, it's lots of data and will take lots of time, but how do I know it's working on it?  I don't see any activity and no placeholders in the empty folders.  The little animated tray icons aren't doing anything (like they did when I first started the synching process).

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thanks for the reply, Stephen.  Answers to your questions in the quote block above...
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 4:30 PM
  • So, on the destination PC, you are looking in each of the folders that are now Blue Mesh folders and they are all empty? The folder on the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com also empty?

Since nothing has synchronized at all, I think I might want to start over.

1. Go to www.mesh.com and change the sync settings to not sync with either PC or the live Desktop for each folder.

2. The folders on PC2 that are the destination should then become yellow Windows Explorer icon folders. The folders on the source PC that you had added to the Mesh should also revert to normal folder icons.

3. Delete the empty desktop folders from the destination PC.

4. On the source PC, pick a single folder to start with. Go for a small one. Add it to the Mesh. Once offered to the second PC, click the desktop blue folder and click Browse to merge the folder with an existing folder on the destination PC. Click OK to acknowledge the conflicts warning.

5. Wait until the folder is indeed synchronized to both PCs and optionally the Live Desktop.

6. Repeat for your other folders as desired.

Note that you should have backups of *all* of the folders you plan to put into the Mesh as this is a Beta and bad things can happen. :-)

-steve

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:16 PM
  • 4. On the source PC, .... Once offered to the second PC, click the desktop blue folder and click Browse to merge the folder with an existing folder on the destination PC. Click OK to acknowledge the conflicts warning.

Not sure I understand the sentence beginning "Once offered..."  Where do I click "Browse" to merge the folders with an existing one?  I tried to click the Browse button on the Change Sychronization Settings, but it's grayed out (as is the file location saving the blue folder on the desktop).

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:37 AM
  • 4. On the source PC, .... Once offered to the second PC, click the desktop blue folder and click Browse to merge the folder with an existing folder on the destination PC. Click OK to acknowledge the conflicts warning.

Not sure I understand the sentence beginning "Once offered..."  Where do I click "Browse" to merge the folders with an existing one?  I tried to click the Browse button on the Change Sychronization Settings, but it's grayed out (as is the file location saving the blue folder on the desktop).

You cannot change the destination once you have accepted the folder on the device. When you add a folder to the Mesh on the Live Desktop or on any device in the Mesh, a shortcut appears on your other devices that is light blue, representing the offered folder. Nothing is synchronizing yet. If you click that shortcut and click OK, the sync will happen at that location - the desktop of the PC. Once you've done that, the destination on that PC cannot be changed. In order to change it you need to first change the sync settings for that folder on the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com to *not* sync with that PC. This should cause the blue Mesh folder on the desktop to become a yellow Windows folder. Once that happens you can move or delete the folder. This folder will also become a yellow folder if you uninstall the Mesh client.

"So, on the destination PC, you are looking in each of the folders that are now Blue Mesh folders and they are all empty? The folder on the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com also empty?"

-steve

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 12:19 PM
  • You cannot change the destination once you have accepted the folder on the device. When you add a folder to the Mesh on the Live Desktop or on any device in the Mesh, a shortcut appears on your other devices that is light blue, representing the offered folder. Nothing is synchronizing yet. If you click that shortcut and click OK, the sync will happen at that location - the desktop of the PC. Once you've done that, the destination on that PC cannot be changed. In order to change it you need to first change the sync settings for that folder on the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com to *not* sync with that PC. This should cause the blue Mesh folder on the desktop to become a yellow Windows folder. Once that happens you can move or delete the folder. This folder will also become a yellow folder if you uninstall the Mesh client.  OK, got it.  That worked.  Folders successfully merging at this time!

"So, on the destination PC, you are looking in each of the folders that are now Blue Mesh folders and they are all empty? The folder on the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com also empty?"  On the destination PC, the Blue Mesh folders were NOT completely empty.  The top-level folder contained files and subfolders, but those subfolders were empty (no placeholders either).  I only had the Contacts folder on the Live Desktop at the time and it was populated with the small contact files (2k each).  Comes down to lack of patience on my part and not really understanding how it would work.

Thanks for your help, Stephen.  I think this question is sufficiently answered!
    • Marked as answer by DaveJV Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:38 PM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Excellent. Thanks for the update. ;-)

-steve

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:37 PM