Access to WHS shares after OS has tanked RRS feed

• Question

• I'll be brief. I screwed up and let my WHS eval expire. I have purchased an OEM install with key. I understand that I need to reinstall over the top. My first attempt offered the "re-installation" selection but during the format process, the install DVD had a cylical redundancy error and the install failed. Now, because the OS no longer exists, a new WHS install only offers a "new install" which will wipe all of my content.

The drives are all physically fine; the content within the default shares are there. I just need to know how I can move the files off my drives temporarily so I can reinstall and move the content back. When I connect the drives to my Windows 7 workstation, permissions to the content is challenging me.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

AaronJ

Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:12 AM

All replies

• I'll be brief. I screwed up and let my WHS eval expire. I have purchased an OEM install with key. I understand that I need to reinstall over the top. My first attempt offered the "re-installation" selection but during the format process, the install DVD had a cylical redundancy error and the install failed. Now, because the OS no longer exists, a new WHS install only offers a "new install" which will wipe all of my content.

The drives are all physically fine; the content within the default shares are there. I just need to know how I can move the files off my drives temporarily so I can reinstall and move the content back. When I connect the drives to my Windows 7 workstation, permissions to the content is challenging me.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

AaronJ

First, you could try using diskpart to remove the 20 GB OS partition on your primary drive and see if you get the Server Reinstallation option again.  (Just be careful using diskpart as, if you do it wrong, you might accidentally remove the wrong partition and there is no confirmation warning when using it.)

As for recovering data from a failed server, see this FAQ.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 12:45 PM