ICE 2 fails to add Photographer Photo Credit to a Panorama uploaded to Photosynth.net RRS feed

• General discussion

• This problem appears to affect both ICE 2 and the panorama publishing Photoshop plugin.

From the beginning Photosynth.net provided photo credit on a per-photo basis in photosynths in the lower left corner of the viewer next to the photo license.

This was helpful, especially when using photos that other people had made available under a Creative Commons license (or any license, really) since I could give credit to the appropriate person and the credit would appear even on embedded synths, rather than my username or description being the only credit given.

Later in 2010 when you guys added panorama support from ICE, photo credit was still applied to a panorama, but since it is a single merged image now, just one photographer credit per pano. 

(If anyone else is wondering how this worked with ICE 1.x, you just had to select all the photos and put the desired name into the photos' 'Author' metadata field before dragging them into ICE.)

However, in ICE 2 (and I believe your Photoshop plugin back in late 2010) it appears that this 'Author' or 'Photographer' field is not passed on and not added to the uploaded data, nor is there any way to add it back via the editing tools on Photosynth.

Anyway, this is important functionality that is very much needed to be returned.

I would like a way in ICE to be able to type in a photographer/author before exporting if that has not been done prior to stitching the pano, but ICE ought to be intelligent enough to read the existing author/photographer metadata from the photos if they have already been tagged.

If not all of the selected photos for the pano do not have the photographer's name added, I think that using the one that is on some of them should be used by default.

If for any reason some of the photos have one name and some have another, then ICE should ask the user to choose between them or have an option to credit both names if desired.

Thanks in advance,
    Nate

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 3:25 AM

All replies

• Thanks for pointing this out.  I've added it to our backlog of tasks.

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 1:47 AM