none
Cannot mount backup RRS feed

• Question

• Having trusted WHS with the backups of our numerous PC's over the last few years, I needed to recover some files from one of the backups - and joy! "Cannot mount backup" was reported after reaching 81%.

I have trawled around and found numerous people posting the same fault, some on W7, Vista etc but I am almost exclusively XP Pro.

Can anyone tell me if there is a KNOWN fix for this, as I am starting to get a bit frustrated?

Many thanks!!

Monday, May 10, 2010 6:24 PM

All replies

• Well, a corrupt backup database is annoying, and there is not much you can do, if this is the case. Other than that you may also experience other issues. Many of them have been fixed in past patches, so the version number shown in your WHS console under Settings/Resources would be interesting. If it is not 2423.0, you should try to get the missing updates first.

Finally you can try another approach - if you have a free USB disk, try a full restore of the volume containing to this disk by using ClientRestoreWizard.exe (in c:\Program Files\Windows Home Server) on a running client.

Good luck
    Olaf

Monday, May 10, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Many thanks for your prompt response Olaf, I will try this later today, but the burning question has to be why??

Also, why when this is posted all over the place for the last 18 months, do we not seem to have a fix for it, Microsoft seem a bit reluctant to sort it out, or is it me expecting too much??

WHS is used by many as their ONLY backup - exactly as it was sold, to discover at the very time that you need it, that there is a KNOWN problem, and it hasn't been sorted, is not exactly confidence inspiring!!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:51 AM
  • Many thanks for your prompt response Olaf, I will try this later today, but the burning question has to be why??

Also, why when this is posted all over the place for the last 18 months, do we not seem to have a fix for it, Microsoft seem a bit reluctant to sort it out, or is it me expecting too much??

WHS is used by many as their ONLY backup - exactly as it was sold, to discover at the very time that you need it, that there is a KNOWN problem, and it hasn't been sorted, is not exactly confidence inspiring!!

Sorry to hear this happened to you!

Actually MS has been doing a lot on this issue, and there appear to be different causes for this problem. A number of these issues have been fixed in recent updates, however if the corruption in your database was present already before these fixes were introduced they are of nu use to you. Personally I think it's good practice to try and open a recent backup for each of you clients periodically. I'm doing this once every two weeks myself.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:47 AM
  • Hi Olaf, I have now had time to try your suggestion of using the ClientRestoreWizard.exe and am happy to report that it HAS worked for the crucial backup that I needed - Many thanks!

To keep things clear, the version number of my WHS is 2423.0, and while updates are not automatic, I do check them every month or so.

One of your collegues "Brubber" suggests good practice is to check all backups regularly, something which I have cause to do from time to time, but shouldn't be necessary on a system designed specifically to keep backups! Having said that, it was on this occasion of checking that I discovered the problem, and unfortunately it has somewhat shaken my faith in the WHS system.

I still feel that Microsoft are not taking this seriously enough, when they have had a KNOWN problem for around Eighteen Months, and still dont have it resolved, I would understand if it was a third party system, but considering it is based on Server 2003, and they were the architects of the system in the first place I really feel people SHOULD be able to expect more in getting the fault resolved in a speedy manner!

Thanks again Olaf for your assistance, maybe I need to look at AMAHI again more closely.

• Proposed as answer by Chipperh Wednesday, September 29, 2010 5:41 PM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:22 PM
  • But usually Microsoft is not the architect for all the hardware and drivers running on the system - and many of the fixes Microsoft created in the past have been to circumvent some misbehavior of such 3rd party stuff on client side.  Since such 3rd party stuff is added more or less regulary, it is a figth, in which Microsoft can hardly win total.

Good to hear, that at least the proposed workaround did work :-)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:31 PM
  • I agrees with airspike in that this problem has been around for a long time and it is a travesty that it has not been fixed yet. I understand that different hardware might make it a more difficult task, but for Microsoft to sell a system for backing up your computers that does not work to restore them is bordering on ridiculous. While it is always a good idea to make sure that any server that you are using can produce a usable backup to restore, I am not sure if any other commercial system suggests that you check every time or even every week or so. The idea of automated backups using a server is to avoid all of the administrative tasks. This is especially true in the posts that I have seen where WHS seemed to be making usable backups for a while and then started making ones that cannot be restored. How can anyone have confidence in the product when it works like that?

In my case, a new, clean install of WHS with all updates (including PP2 and PP3) never made a usable backup. Everything looked OK but when I went to view the files in any backup I got the "81% Cannot Mount Drive" error. This is on a Windows 7 32 bit machine. The exact same machine booted into Windows XP sees the backups OK so it is not anything to do with the backups themselves or with the hardware in the computer. The problem I guess is with mounting the virtual drive.  I don't see this mentioned in the FAQ about known issues on the Microsoft website even though there are numerous posts about it. Unless this issue can be resolved I cannot use a product that makes backups that can't be restored.  Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated.

Monday, May 31, 2010 1:35 PM
  • "Best practice" is to test your backup strategy regularly. This is just as true for Windows Home Server as it is for any backup system that you might see in place in small to large businesses. If you never test your backup strategy (and by test I mean actually restoring a backup client and making sure it's fully functional) you will never know if there's a problem until you need to restore, and it's too late then. I do a monthly restore of one client, personally...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 31, 2010 2:51 PM
  • I am also getting the error  "Cannot mount the backup" when it gets to 93% on my Windows XP box.

Checking through the Event Viewer on the client machine, I see the following error related to the attempt to mount the Z drive from WHS Server:

The Logical Disk Manager Service failed while registering for device handle notifications on device \\?\STORAGE#Volume#HomeServer21#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}. Win32 Error: 32.

WHS Home Server with PP3

Windows XP PRO SP3

Has any solution been found for this error?

Sunday, November 7, 2010 4:17 PM