none
Sync Toy Error

Question

•  

Running Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1, Dell Dimension, Intel Celeron D 2.6 Processor- dontthink it matters but putting out there before i go into my issue.

I've been using Sync Toy for quite some time, never had issues really, But now after a fresh format, my secondary hard drive in my PC holds all my files.  Although the file letter changed after the format, nothing else changed, that i did myself.  Now i am running SyncToy 2.0 and for some reason i keep getting errors "Cannot read from the Source file".  I changed nothing in regards to the properties of the drive i am in DIRE need of backing up.  If anyone can troubleshoot this or point me to a link that will resolve this, i will be EXTREMLY appriciative.

what i am trying to do is Echo a internal hardrive to a external harddrive.  Ive formatted the external, which took like 14 hours to do, but its totally wiped clean.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:02 PM

Answers

• Hi again Marius

It is expected for SyncToy to take a long time to sycn 465 GB of data for the first time.  At the same time it is copying data, it is creating its own database which is later used for tracking information that will be used for future sync sessions. 

To help us improve our performance, can you give us a sense of what your data store looks like?  How many folders and files does it hold?

Future sync sessions are expected to be fast since they will only look at changes made to you folder. 

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena - MSFT

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:16 PM

All replies

• Can you delete the folder pair and re-create it to see if the problem goes away? I'm assuming you're doing an ECHO and didn't change anything on the right hand folder.

Friday, November 14, 2008 1:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Marius

Before you formatted your machine, were you using SyncToy to backup your data?  Error you are getting, where does it come from? What action do you take before you get the error?

One thing to keep in mind after re-installing an OS, is to make sure that your user has read/write permission to the files in the secondary drive.  Even if your old username was the same, this does not imply that you inherited the permisions that you had before on that drive. 

I would go and check on the access permisions on that secondary drive confirm that your user account has access to it.

Friday, November 14, 2008 1:33 AM
  • I tried deleting the folder pair and making new ones.  That dident work

Friday, November 14, 2008 1:54 PM
  • at first i never thought about that.  Then i went and checked out the properties on the drive, it never occurred to me that the permissions would of changed.  after formatting the external backup drive (14 hours to do for a 465gb drive) and changing permissions to all sub folders and files, it started to work........but it took AGES to do, i mean it took over 8 hours, then about 80% thru the echoing process, it froze.  The reason, i could hear the external harddrive clicking, i gave it a little tap, because i thought the needle was stuck, and it kept spinning, slowing down, spinning, slowing down.  this drive is a lacie and i bought it 1 year 3 weeks ago, no reason for it to crash so fast.  its working now, but i am really concerned if i should keep using it, i think ill try for a warranty swap.  thank god i have another back up drive.

the main issue is why the heck did synctoy take FOREVER to do its thing, ive been using it for 2 years, and only since 2.0 was it so darn slow

Friday, November 14, 2008 2:01 PM
  • Hi again Marius

It is expected for SyncToy to take a long time to sycn 465 GB of data for the first time.  At the same time it is copying data, it is creating its own database which is later used for tracking information that will be used for future sync sessions. 

To help us improve our performance, can you give us a sense of what your data store looks like?  How many folders and files does it hold?

Future sync sessions are expected to be fast since they will only look at changes made to you folder. 

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:16 PM