Server Keeps shutting down (SBCORE)

Question

• Hi All,

Is anyone else seeing this in the system event log?  Don't know why I am, but it keeps shuting down my server.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: SBCore
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1001
    Date:  3/1/2007
    Time:  02:49:31
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    The server was shut down because it did not comply with the EULA. For more information, contact Microsoft.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: SBCore
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1014
    Date:  3/1/2007
    Time:  02:19:31
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    This computer must be configured as a domain controller. It will be shut down in 30 minutes. To prevent this computer from shutting down, run Setup on the disk that you used to install the operating system to configure the computer as a domain controller.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thursday, March 01, 2007 11:36 PM

Answers

• I've found a slightly more elegant solution to this problem rather than just aggressively killing the process until Windows gives up trying to start it again, and I'd like to share it in the hope that Google will re-index and pick it up for others to use. You may have noticed this service cannot be disabled via the MMC snap-in.

My search term on google was: how to stop the SBCore service

Anyway, down to business…

- Tools you'll need – Process Explorer from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx

As you probably know, you have a service called SBCore or "SBS Core Services", which executes the following process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\sbscrexe.exe

If you kill it, it just restarts – and if you try and stop it you are told Access Denied.

If you fire up Process Explorer, you can select the process and Suspend it, now we can start to disable the thing.

Run regedit  and expand the nodes until you reach the following hive / key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SBCore

Right click this, hit permissions and give the "Administrators" group on the local machine full access ( don't forget to replace permissions on child nodes ). F5 in regedit and you'll see all of the values and data under this key.

Select the "Start" DWORD and change it from 2 to 4 – this basically sets the service to the "Disabled" state as far as the MMC services snap-in (and windows for that matter) is concerned.

Next, adjust the permissions on the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\sbscrexe.exe so that EVERYONE account is denied any sort of access to this file.

Then go back to process explorer, and kill the sbscrexe.exe process, if it doesn't restart – congratulations!

Load up the services MMC snap-in and you should find that "SBS Core Services" is stopped and marked as Disabled.

Enjoy,

Alan  :)

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:34 AM
  • I too am a little lost on how you got there. 

To solve your problem you can always download sysinternals process explorer and suspend the sbscrexe.exe process that is shutting off your machine. 

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx
    Saturday, March 03, 2007 8:26 PM

All replies

• I am guessing this is not a clean install :)

I have 2 WHS installs on SBS networks backing everything up no problems.  Did somehow you try to install AD on the WHS server?

Still.......Grey

Friday, March 02, 2007 12:40 AM
  • This error usually occurs because you have either configured the machine with Active Directory or have added it to an existing domain as a member server.
    Friday, March 02, 2007 1:29 AM
  • I have a DC at home but the home server was never configured as a DC nor was it joined to my DC.

I read that it was not supported, so I didn't make it one, or add it to my existing domain.

Friday, March 02, 2007 1:32 AM
  • As i Said, etc, I have Domains/SBS etc, just trying to figure out why/what is diff.

What did you do to the WHS after the clean install?

Friday, March 02, 2007 2:10 AM
  • I changed the IP address so it has a static IP, and changed the time zone to Eastern.

after that I just added a few users and started copying over files from an external USB drive.  I backed up my two vista machines.  I havn't done anything extra to the home server, no extra services, no extra software.

Friday, March 02, 2007 2:50 AM
  • The same thing is now happening here. The server was working fine, and uptime was not a problem. Now I am getting the exact same error after everything was installed and working fine before hand. The server was working fine on my workgroup, and this began to happen.
    I have not edited any services or permissions from the regular install, except for folder permissions and the server is not on a domain.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Friday, March 02, 2007 3:05 AM
  • I have searched Connect for anything about this and was unsuccessful. Can someone who is experiencing this error please file a bug report including the TalQ logs and then post the link here so others can provide their comments.
    Friday, March 02, 2007 3:18 AM
  • I'm not having this problem, but then I don't see any reason to run SBS on my home network at this time.

Anyway, a cursory check of the Microsoft Knowledgebase reveals that this appears to be a result of running WHS in an environment where it's been added to an existing domain. SBS can't be used in that environment, and WHS is based in part on SBS, so I'm guessing that some of the licensing restrictions are still in place.
    Friday, March 02, 2007 3:25 AM
  • Just want to say again...

I have NOT added my WHS to my domain.  The only thing that my Windows 2003 Server DC and my Windows Home Server share in common is my IP subnet 192.168.0.x

The WHS server is in the WORKGROUP Workgroup and it's name is SERVER, these are all the defaults.

Friday, March 02, 2007 3:35 AM
  • I have submitted a bug to the feedback at this link.

This is my first report, any help to make it more descriptive would be appreciated as I have not had time to fully investigate yet, and this is my first report.
    Friday, March 02, 2007 3:50 AM
  • I have added my feedback
    Friday, March 02, 2007 4:01 AM
  •  Pugsly0014 wrote:
    I have added my feedback

Thank you, and I hope it is not just you and me with this problem.

Very strange how everything worked good and then this happened.

I looked back through the logs and it shows this:

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    SBCore
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    1013
    Date:        2/25/2007
    Time:        2:23:56 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    OPTIMUS-ZER0
    Description:
    This computer must be configured as a domain controller. To prevent this computer from shutting down in the future, run Setup on the disk that you used to install the operating system to configure the computer as a domain controller.

As you can see this is from the 25th. What I am thinking now is that this error may have already been in the system, but the actual server shutdown has been triggered by something else.

Will investigate more when I get a chance.
    Friday, March 02, 2007 4:20 AM
  • Have these sytems been built longer than 7 days?  Trying to figure out if setup just did not complete, or if this may be a date thing with some dll file.  I mean did they work fine for say 3 weeks, then this raise it's head?

Thanks

Still

Friday, March 02, 2007 2:42 PM
  • My sever was running for 5 days I believe and then the error began shutting down the computer after 1 hour. So yes it did run fine, backed up fine, and then all of a sudden started shutting  down. As I said in a previous post, the SBCORE  error  was present before the actual shutdown error happened, just that before it would not start the 1 hour countdown. I learned that after reviewing logs last night. I do not know what changed to make the error begin to shut the computer down.

Maybe someone else could see if they are getting the SBCORE error without the shutdown also. May help.

Cheers
    Saturday, March 03, 2007 12:55 AM
  • The error above indicates that (whatever you think) the WHS thinks it's been joined to a domain for some reason. I'm not sure why you're having trouble but Grey isn't. I have some less-than-half-baked theories about how you could get there from here, but nothing that I'm confident enough about to share.
    Saturday, March 03, 2007 1:04 AM
  • Seems like it is happening to more then just myself.  I had been getting the sbcore errors since I installed, it was only after 3-4 days did I see the errors that actualy showed a countdown then actualy shutdown the server.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 1:21 AM
  • I too am a little lost on how you got there. 

To solve your problem you can always download sysinternals process explorer and suspend the sbscrexe.exe process that is shutting off your machine. 

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx
    Saturday, March 03, 2007 8:26 PM
  • Hi, all,

Please try this on any WHS Server that exhibits this problem.

Go into administrative tools on the WHS Server, and then into services.

Right click the License Logging service and go to its logon TAB.  Set the authority to run as the Administrator and assign it
    the same password that you assigned to your WHS Server admin.  Restart the service and then the WHS Server computer.

It will restore the authority under which WHS, the license logging service and all of its dependent services operate.
    In most cases this will solve such problems.

Good Luck,

Lloyd

Sunday, March 04, 2007 12:20 AM
  • That is sorta what I was looking for.  You said it ran fine for "5" days.  Not a period longer than SEVEN
    Sunday, March 04, 2007 1:52 AM
  • Has this issue been resolved?  I know it has been bugged, but just cerious.
    Wednesday, March 07, 2007 8:31 PM
  • It has not been resolved, but worked around by suspending the service.
    Wednesday, March 07, 2007 8:39 PM
  •  Pugsly0014 wrote:
    It has not been resolved, but worked around by suspending the service.

Same thing here, just suspending the process.
    Wednesday, March 07, 2007 11:55 PM
  • I've got same issue. I'll try the suggest trick and not shut down the service to see what happens.
    Thursday, March 08, 2007 5:38 AM
  • Changing License account to Administrator with logon password didn't work. I'll turn off the service now like others have done.
    Thursday, March 08, 2007 9:48 AM
  • I've found a slightly more elegant solution to this problem rather than just aggressively killing the process until Windows gives up trying to start it again, and I'd like to share it in the hope that Google will re-index and pick it up for others to use. You may have noticed this service cannot be disabled via the MMC snap-in.

My search term on google was: how to stop the SBCore service

Anyway, down to business…

- Tools you'll need – Process Explorer from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx

As you probably know, you have a service called SBCore or "SBS Core Services", which executes the following process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\sbscrexe.exe

If you kill it, it just restarts – and if you try and stop it you are told Access Denied.

If you fire up Process Explorer, you can select the process and Suspend it, now we can start to disable the thing.

Run regedit  and expand the nodes until you reach the following hive / key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SBCore

Right click this, hit permissions and give the "Administrators" group on the local machine full access ( don't forget to replace permissions on child nodes ). F5 in regedit and you'll see all of the values and data under this key.

Select the "Start" DWORD and change it from 2 to 4 – this basically sets the service to the "Disabled" state as far as the MMC services snap-in (and windows for that matter) is concerned.

Next, adjust the permissions on the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\sbscrexe.exe so that EVERYONE account is denied any sort of access to this file.

Then go back to process explorer, and kill the sbscrexe.exe process, if it doesn't restart – congratulations!

Load up the services MMC snap-in and you should find that "SBS Core Services" is stopped and marked as Disabled.

Enjoy,

Alan  :)

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:34 AM
  • Yes, this is the procedure that I followed.  I was afrade of posting it thou because this is afterall a Microsoft Forum and the procedure is circumventing EULA.

None the less, the above procedure does work and will allow you to set the service to disabled so it won't restart when the server gets rebooted.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:42 AM
  • I was experiencing this problem and your little "hack" fixed this for me.

I am of course more wondering why this was a problem in the first place but it's fixed so I am not going to fret.

Thanks man!

Sunday, October 28, 2007 5:22 PM
  • After searching for a solution to this problem and stumbliung across the process you described in your post I  may have found an even more  simple solution to this problem:

By going to Administrative Tools then into Services you can select the process SBCore or "SBS Core Services" and view its properties, although trying to disable  the process from running here produces an Access Denied Error you can however disable it for specific hardware profiles under the Log On tab. As I'm only running one hardware profile this is the current one  obviously and it allowed this change to be made without an Access Denied message. After rebooting there were no signs of the sbscrexe.exe running and no annoying hourly switch offs!

I hope this works for everyone else, even though I'm  sure Alans method works it may save you time and hassle of downloading Process Explorer. Still not sure why this was a problem in the first place though :-S

Matthew :-)
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:18 PM
  •  

Matthew-

Your fix worked great!  I have been trying to figure this out and your solution was quick and effective.

Thanks!

-Steve

Friday, April 25, 2008 3:47 AM
  • Fan-flipping-tastic.

Helped out tremendously.  Thanks Alan!

Now I can use the old SBS server as a deploy/backup server.  Seems right to me, regardless of the EULA.

The customer should not have to shell out for anohter license to utilize what they've already paid for...

Monday, May 16, 2011 5:25 AM
  • I will sometimes point people in the middle of a migration to this thread to give them breathing room. That said the attitude here of "forget the eula, forget that it's now unsupported, forget that the reason SBS is cheaper is that it does have this license" ...sorry but I can't go by without commenting here.

The foundation of society is that we abide by rules and regulations.

They paid for a cheaper license with restrictions.  That doesn't mean that they have the right to now ignore this.  If you don't like the rules complain to Microsoft (steveb@microsoft.com) or don't buy SBS.  When you bought the software you agreed to the eula.  They paid for a product that has a limitation of one SBS per domain to be used 'as is'.

Change the system, fight the licensing, but don't use this hack to violate the eula.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:56 PM
  • I will sometimes point people in the middle of a migration to this thread to give them breathing room. That said the attitude here of "forget the eula, forget that it's now unsupported, forget that the reason SBS is cheaper is that it does have this license" ...sorry but I can't go by without commenting here.

The foundation of society is that we abide by rules and regulations.

They paid for a cheaper license with restrictions.  That doesn't mean that they have the right to now ignore this.  If you don't like the rules complain to Microsoft (steveb@microsoft.com) or don't buy SBS.  When you bought the software you agreed to the eula.  They paid for a product that has a limitation of one SBS per domain to be used 'as is'.

Change the system, fight the licensing, but don't use this hack to violate the eula.

I agree with you on the most...BUT...I purchased my SBS to use as web server and a few other measly little things that was covered by the eula when I run my small business from my home.  This OS for me was way overkill for me but I had no choice but to run a main stream OS to support certain harware that I am using for my internet conection so I done the right thing and purchased SBS.  Now I am not running my busines anymore and I am only using my server for a hobby internet server and to shre the internet to my internal newtork...THATS IT, I am now getting the same problem as the others here....why the hell would I need to run a domain controller???  

More the point what the hell would I need to run a domain controller for in my situation???  It is rediculus to state that people like me should have to go and shell out more money to do what they want to do with there servers in there own homes, especially when we have already shelled out so much for so little in my opinion....Linux dose all that windows dose and more and costs next to nothing...the Mac OSX system dose the same with a lot less cost involved.....I think that if i have any more problems with this situation i will change the hardware that i need to and go to another OS that just works.

No wonder people pirate there software when the charge so much for it, then they ask for more money when they want to do something else with it....

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:47 AM
  • You can run a web server from a Windows 7.  One ALWAYS has a choice.
    P.S. there's Windows server web edition as well.  Again, SBS is for a business, not a web server.  If this is a hobby, then buy Technet plus and you get tons of toys to play with and test things out.

Again, SBS should not be used here.  Your internal network can be shared out with a Linksys cheap router.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:57 AM
  • What it boils down to is that it is incumbent on "you, the purchaser" to read the EULA, understand the EULA, and be honest when asked if "you, the purchaser" agree to the terms of the EULA. Personally, I don't click through until I've read the darn thing, no matter how impenetrable it seems to be. (Unless I've read it before, that is. :) ) If you can't agree to the EULA, you return the software and find something else to use. Legally and ethically the choices are pretty clear cut. And the depth of your wallet doesn't matter.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:38 AM
  • Are you guys really arguing EULA in a thread that is four years old?

Bigger than that, are you arguing SBS EULA in a Windows Home Server v1 thread?  Which towns are missing their idiots?

WHS might be based on the SBS core (irony: see thread title) but it is NOT subject to the same EULA.  You will not be using the SBS featureset of a domain controller, Exchange server, Sharepoint services under the WHS umbrella.  So to have an SBCore failure on a WHS box is a valid reason to nuke the SBCore service from orbit.

Now, if you want to have a big fight about SBS licensing and EULA restrictions on the SBCore service, go do it in an SBS thread and stay out of the WHS stuff that you don't seem to comprehend correctly.

Monday, October 24, 2011 6:36 AM
  • plonk

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Are you guys really arguing EULA in a thread that is four years old?

Bigger than that, are you arguing SBS EULA in a Windows Home Server v1 thread?  Which towns are missing their idiots?

WHS might be based on the SBS core (irony: see thread title) but it is NOT subject to the same EULA.  You will not be using the SBS featureset of a domain controller, Exchange server, Sharepoint services under the WHS umbrella.  So to have an SBCore failure on a WHS box is a valid reason to nuke the SBCore service from orbit.

Now, if you want to have a big fight about SBS licensing and EULA restrictions on the SBCore service, go do it in an SBS thread and stay out of the WHS stuff that you don't seem to comprehend correctly.

BullDawg
    Monday, October 24, 2011 6:55 AM