The Windows Home Server Toolkit is a collection of tools that help you troubleshoot issues with Windows Home Server. The toolkit is made up of the following components:
· Error Reporting
The Error Reporting tool collects log files from your home computer and sends them to Microsoft. These log files are useful to the Support professionals when they are troubleshooting issues with Windows Home Server.
· Windows Home Server Connector Troubleshooter
The Windows Home Server Connector Troubleshooter is a program that runs on your home computer to help you troubleshoot problems with installing the Connector software. It runs a series of tests to check the most common Connector Setup problems, and it recommends possible solutions.
· Windows Home Server Add-In
You can also use the Troubleshooter to install a Windows Home Server Toolkit Add-in on your home server. With this Add-in, you can run troubleshooting tasks from the Windows Home Server Console Settings page.
Installing the Windows Home Server Toolkit & Home Server Add-In
On the Home Computer:
1. Launch the WHSToolkit.msi installer
a. click Run if a security warning is presented
2. Select ‘I accept. . .’ > click the Install button > click the Finish button
3. The Windows Home Server Toolkit installation is now completed
When you start the Connector Troubleshooter from the Start menu, the Troubleshooter runs in “simple mode.” It runs tests and displays a summary of the results. It also provides suggestions to help you successfully install and configure the Connector software.
You can also start the Troubleshooter in “advanced mode.” Some of the functionality of the Troubleshooter is available only in advanced mode. Follow these steps to start the Troubleshooter in advanced mode:
1. In Windows Vista or XP, Click Start > click Run > type “cmd” in the open text box (without quotes) > a command prompt launches
2. At the command prompt, type “cd /d %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server\Toolkit” (without quotation marks) to change the current directory.
3. Type “ConnectorTroubleshooter.exe –a” (without quotation marks) and press Enter to start the Troubleshooter.
Installing the Windows Home Server Toolkit Add-In
1. From the home computer (that the Toolkit has been installed onto), click Start > click Run > type CMD > click OK
2. In the command prompt window, type in “cd /d %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server\Toolkit” (without quotation marks) > press Enter
3. In the command prompt window, type in “ConnectorTroubleshooter.exe –a” (without quotation marks) > press Enter > the Connector Troubleshooter will launch
4. From the Connector Troubleshooter, click the Server menu from the top of the window > click Publish Server Add-In
5. Select your home server from the Server Name pull-down menu > enter the Administrator password in the Password field (the same password used to log in to the Console) > click Ok
a. A ‘Finished!’ dialogue window will appear > click OK
6. To complete the Add-In installation, launch the Console from the home server taskbar icon
a. From the Console, click Settings > Add-ins
b. Click the Available tab > click the Install button from the ‘Windows Home Server Toolkit’ listing
c. The installation will complete and display a dialogue indicating that the Console will close > click OK to close the Console
d. Re-launch the Console to use the Toolkit
Creating and Submitting Logs
Once the Windows Home Server Toolkit Add-in is installed, you can easily send in your log files. To send log files to the Windows Home Server Team, please follow these steps:
1. From a home computer, launch the Console from the task bar > click the Settings button
2. Click the Toolkit button > click the Support tab
3. Click Send > a dialogue will appear providing additional information > click ‘Collect and Send’ > a dialogue window will appear with your CAB ID number, be sure to write this number down before clicking OK
a. NOTE: You may see an error stating that Talq has thrown an exception: “Cannot find file. . .” To remedy this, please connect to your home server using Remote Desktop and verify that your Internet Connection settings are set to automatically detect settings. Once selected, click Send once more to try again.
i. To verify connection settings, please follow these steps:
1. Click Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections Tab > LAN Settings > check the ‘Automatically detect settings’ checkbox > click OK
4. Click OK to close the Settings window
You can use this Add-in to do the following:
· Send log files from Windows Home Server to Microsoft to investigate problems.
· Check the health of your server storage.
· Open a command prompt on your home server.
· Open Event Viewer.
· View the Windows Home Server log files.
· Change the trace levels for the log files to record more or less information.
· Change the settings for the backup-health notification.
· And more….
You can download the most recent version of the Toolkit from the Microsoft Web site ( http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=98872 ). If you want to upgrade the Toolkit to a newer version, first uninstall the existing Toolkit and Add-in.2007. október 10. 19:16