none
Master/sub-project layout

Pertanyaan

• Hi all,

I am just starting out with MS Project 2016 so I apologize if this has been answered and I wasn't able to find it in my google searching.

I would like to create individual projects for each job our company has (approximately 12 jobs per year with a project duration of 6 months). These individual projects have the same structure and task names each time. I would like to incorporate these individuals projects into a master project using the subproject capability. Inside the master project I would like to be able to organize the project so the matching task names are together for the different projects. For example I would like the project to look something like:

Project A      Task 1

Project B      Task 1

Project C      Task 1

Project A      Task 2

Project B      Task 2

Project C      Task 2

Any help is appreciated!

Jon

Rabu, 28 November 2018 14.52

Semua Balasan

• JKamstra,

First of all, be advised that working with a dynamic master file structure in Project can lead to corruption. None of the files in the structure should ever be renamed, moved, overwritten, or "saved off" to another location. Ideally, all files should reside in a single directory on a local drive and not be operated over a network. If you want to use SharePoint, forget it since a dynamic master file structure does not work on SharePoint.

As a best practice, similar tasks in different files should not have the exact same task name, particularly if those file are inserted into a master. The task name as a minimum should have some type of file identifier in the name.

With regard to your sorting issue, one simple method is to identify similar tasks in each file using a Number field (i.e. "task 1" has a "1" in the Number1 field, "task 2" has a "2" in the Number1 field, etc.). Then at master level you can simply sort on the appropriate Number field.

For example, here is a dynamic master with 3 subprojects. Note, each subproject has a Task 1, Task 2, etc. and each of the task names has a prefix identifying which subproject. The Number1 field is marked to identify each Task 1, Task 2, etc. Milestones have a "0" identifier so they will be sorted together also.

The Sort function is set up as shown. Note the "keep outline structure" option is unchecked.

When applied, the sort looks like this.

Hope this helps.

John

Kamis, 29 November 2018 02.19