none
Linking Project Tasks with Regional Map

Pertanyaan

• As a public utility we are looking to add a new tool to our outage coordination planning. Due to the regional dependency of our systems we would like to have a map that would highlight areas based on keywords in our fields.

Ex. Task 1: Substation A is out for maintenance Sep 15th- Dec 20th.

Task 2: Substation B is out for maintenance Nov 19th - Nov 30th.

Task 3: Substation C is out for Maintenance Dec 15th to Dec 25th.

These substation names would be linked to a regional map and would be highlighted when the task is selected. Secondly, It would check the outage durations of other tasks and highlight those to show the coordinated Outages. As a bonus the ability to show dependent tasks different colors would be beneficial.

Curious if such a plugin exists, or software that could fill this need.

Thanks.

Kamis, 15 November 2018 15.30

Semua Balasan

• nkperetti,

What exactly do you mean by "lined to a regional map"? Is the regional map in some type of application or url that shows a map? If so, the only way I can think of "linking" them is via a hyperlink but that's "iffy" at best.

As far as highlighting various tasks within Project, yes that is very doable depending on exactly how the criteria is set up, but without a more detailed explanation of what you mean by "dependent tasks" and how you want them highlighted, there is not a lot I can suggest.

John

Kamis, 15 November 2018 16.09
  • We have a one-line drawing of our transmission system. Ideally I could define regions of that one-line drawing in terms such as "Substation-Name1".Every time "Substation-Name1" was used in a task the map would highlight that area. As an added bonus, tasks that also have overlapping time windows would also highlight. This would show visual conflicts in our outage scheduling based off of our Microsoft projects tasks.
    Selasa, 27 November 2018 00.15
  • nkperetti,

You still didn't explain exactly what the "drawing" is. Are you talking about Project's timeline? Without some understanding of what you mean by "drawing", we can't be of much help.

John

Selasa, 27 November 2018 01.33
  • Presently linking ,hyperlink is best option  i feel it. 
    Selasa, 27 November 2018 02.10
  • If you use Power BI and Project Online, you could enter the lat/long co-ordinates for the substation, and automatically display in BING maps when you select the task.

Re different colours for dependent tasks, this is already built into MSProject (version 2013 onwards) from memory.

I don't know of any add-in which would do what you want (maybe Excel if you used Visual Reports to export the data and managed to include the lat/long data).

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Selasa, 27 November 2018 10.15