none
Assigning Resources Allocation for a three months tasks

Pertanyaan

• Hi,

I have to assign 4 people to five tasks that will run for 44 days. Each person will be able to work only 20% of their time per each task. So, here is what I'm trying to do but I'm getting Resource Overallocation Error. 

1) Create the five Tasks.

2) Put in 44 days for Duration of each of the five tasks.

3) Assign the resources, each for 20% of their time to all four tasks. 

I don't think I'm doing this right. 

Any suggestions will greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to show the overall resources is taking to do certain jobs.

Thanks in advance.

Selasa, 20 November 2018 17.56

Jawaban

• GoMSPRoject,

It's not totally clear as to what you want/need to see, but yes, if you need to keep a fixed 120 day duration, then you should use a fixed duration type task.

And yes, you will see an overallocation of resources if they are assigned to work on multiple simultaneous tasks and their assignment level is such that their total hours per day, week, or month exceeds the default threshold (i.e. 8h/d, 40h/wk, 160h/mon). You can eliminate overallocation by either manually adjusting daily, weekly, or monthly hours (depending on the leveling option set under Resource > Level group > Leveling options), or use Project's leveling feature. For the latter you need to assign priorities to the tasks.

Hope this helps.

John

• Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh GoMSProject Senin, 26 November 2018 19.46
    Senin, 26 November 2018 19.12

Semua Balasan

• GoMSProject,

It sounds like you ended up assigning each of your resources more than 20% or your resources have a custom resource calendar that gives them less than the default 8h work day.

Given the normal Project default settings (i.e. Standard calendar) you should see the following in the Task Usage view:

John

Selasa, 20 November 2018 20.13
  • Thanks <g class="gr_ gr_53 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="53" id="53">John</g>. I greatly appreciate your time.

I guess my issue is that I need to keep the duration to 44 days. How do you make sure the resource assigned for even one task at a 20% utilization can do the job. Is it correct than when I change the utilization to 30 percent, the duration changes to a shorter <g class="gr_ gr_500 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="500" id="500">time.</g>

How can I calculate the manpower for one person is required to finish a 44 days project? 44 Days/8 Hours Per Day=5.5 days. So if he is available only 25% of his time, how would you calculate it. 

Thanks

Selasa, 20 November 2018 20.29
  • GoMSProject,

First of all you need to understand the difference between duration and work. In Project duration is the time span during which a task is performed. Work is the effort one or more resource will expend to complete the task.

Project has what is referred to as the work equation. It is:

Duration = Work/Units, where "units" represents the number of equivalent resources.

Project has three task types, Fixed Duration, Fixed Work and Fixed Units. If you want a fixed duration of 44 days, then you should set the task Type field to Fixed Duration. Then as you change the units assignment level, say from 20% to 30%, the work will increase. But, if you have a fixed work type of task and you change the assignment level the same way, the duration will decrease.

I think the example in your last paragraph needs re-thinking. The equation, 44 days/8 hours per day does NOT equal 5.5 days, it effectively gives 5.5 "days-day per hour" (a meaningless metric). If the resource is only available 25% (2h/d equivalent), then over a duration of 44 days, he/she will only be able to accomplish 88 hours of work, but if the work content of the task is 44d x 8h/d = 352h, the task won't get done.

Does that clarify things a bit?

John

Selasa, 20 November 2018 21.28
  • John,

Thank you again. Yes, this helps a lot!

In this case, the Duration is constant all the tasks need to run for one year. But as I add additional resources, the duration was changing. So I put the durations back to one year after the resources were changing since the overall attempt in here is to show how much of each Resource Hours are being used by how many developers within the year timeframe. That's all I need to show. 

Minggu, 25 November 2018 00.51
  • GoMSProject,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

As I indicated in my previous response, what you want is a Fixed Duration type task. You can set that up under File > Options > Schedule Group "Scheduling options for this project". Or, you can do it task by task by adding the Type field to the Gantt Chart view and picking Fixed Duration as the task type. Note, as you add resources to a fixed duration task, the hours per resource will decrease, but you can edit the hours via the Task Usage or Resource Usage view.

If I answered your question, please consider marking one of my responses as the answer.

John

Minggu, 25 November 2018 18.37
  • John,

My apologies. the dilemma I'm facing that is a story to tell is as following. I have people working over a 6 months at different utilization (5%, 10%), etc. So, my approach has been keeping the Duration Fixed for the 6 months but adding the Resources to the Tasks (No Duration Change) based on their utilizations %s.

This way, when I create a report, all the resources % of time used for the tasks is shown from the 6 months and therefore, showing the Overallocated Resources as well.

Develop Software       120 days

Obtain Requirement 120  Days 20%  J. garden

Design Screen         120 Days 10% S. Malkins

Code Generation      120 Days 50% J. garden, 50% Malkins

So, within the 120 days, these resources have used the above % of their time toward the specific project/milestone. I have many of these milestones of course.

So the duration needs to stay as 120 days or is there a better way to do this that I still show the above information.

THanks so much for all your time.

Senin, 26 November 2018 18.05
  • John,

120 days and not 6 months. Sorry for that. Thanks

Senin, 26 November 2018 18.18
  • GoMSPRoject,

It's not totally clear as to what you want/need to see, but yes, if you need to keep a fixed 120 day duration, then you should use a fixed duration type task.

And yes, you will see an overallocation of resources if they are assigned to work on multiple simultaneous tasks and their assignment level is such that their total hours per day, week, or month exceeds the default threshold (i.e. 8h/d, 40h/wk, 160h/mon). You can eliminate overallocation by either manually adjusting daily, weekly, or monthly hours (depending on the leveling option set under Resource > Level group > Leveling options), or use Project's leveling feature. For the latter you need to assign priorities to the tasks.

Hope this helps.

John

• Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh GoMSProject Senin, 26 November 2018 19.46
    Senin, 26 November 2018 19.12
  • Thanks <g class="gr_ gr_43 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="43" id="43">Jon</g>. I greatly appreciate your explanations. 
    Senin, 26 November 2018 19.47
  • GoMSProject,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Senin, 26 November 2018 21.55