none
Server 2016 licensing for HPC

Pertanyaan

• Hi,

Does anyone know if there's any special way to handling licensing of Windows 2016 for Microsoft HPC clusters? We've been running two MS clusters for academic research for nearly 9 years now, but the move to licensing from sockets to cores causes such a huge cost for high-density compute nodes - 44 cores per node is pretty common now - it simply isn't going to be possible to keep going with MS HPC, if I understand the licensing requirements.

I'm guessing that we won't be the only department to have a major difficulty staying with MS HPC under the new licensing arrangement?

Thanks,
    Wes

08 Mei 2017 14:06

Semua Balasan

• Hi,

There is no special license for HPC Pack itself. As long as you have windows license (Server, Desktop), you are good to go. And MS HPC Pack also supports linux now as compute nodes.

Qiufang Shi

22 Mei 2017 5:36
  • Hi,

I understand that about the HPC Pack licensing - it's more the Windows Server 2016 licensing that's the problem. The changes in licensing method mean we now have to license an extra 228 cores, compared to what we had to do for 2012 R2, when we upgrade to 2016. I'm not quite sure how that is all meant to make sense for a cluster.

Wes

06 Juni 2017 11:17