Live OneCare in a Win7 x86 and Win7 x64 environment RRS feed

• Domanda

• Hello!

My Live OneCare account subscription is due for renewal in six weeks.  I am currently testing Windows 7 RC x86, and Windows 7 RC x64.  My home network also has one Vista x86 and one XP x86 computers.  When Windows 7 goes gold I intend to upgrade those capable of x64 to Win7 x64, but the Vista build will have to remain x86.

My questions are these:  

1.  Will I be able to continue to centrally manage my Live OneCare environment in such a mixed environment? 
    2.  Will Live OneCare ship as either an x64 or x86, or both? 
    3.  Will an x64 version be able to manage x86 computers as well as x64 computers? 
    4.  In short, will Live OneCare be capable of servicing such an environment as described above or need I look for another vendor?

I am very happy with my experience thus-far with Live OneCare and hope that you will have a positive response to these concerns.

Thanks!

giovedì 18 giugno 2009 17:34

Risposte

• OneCare will no longer be sold after June 30th, 2009 though existing subscriptions will be supported through the end of their terms.  For this reason, OneCare will never support Windows 7 at all.

However, Microsoft will be releasing a new free anti-malware product, code name 'Morro' later this year to replace OneCare for both Windows 7 and existing Windows XP/Vista systems.  It will only be for malware protection though, so it won't include things like backup or the hub features such as printer sharing.

If you only require antivirus, antispyware and rootkit protection, Morro should be an effective and low overhead alternative.  If you also need some of the other features found in OneCare, then you might be better off looking at other alternatives, though you could also add these separately since Windows 7 already contains its own backup similar to that in OneCare.

Printing and WiFi management are also much easier with Windows 7, so take some time to investigate these before deciding

< EDIT >  It's likely we'll see a beta release of Morro sometime before the release of Windows 7, so I'd think you might be able to try it on your test PC(s) before your 6 weeks of subscription are over.  Since it's timed to release with Windows 7, it's also likely the final version will be out by the October 22nd release date.

Current OneCare subscriptions are also being offered a free 6 month extension presently, so when you are notified of renewal, login to your Windows Live Billing account and see what happens when you click 'renew'.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    giovedì 18 giugno 2009 18:07
    Moderatore
  • Thanks OneCareBear, I appreciate the clarity on this topic.  Your description of 'Morro' sounds like it is all that I will need.  Too bad OneCare is going poof.  It was a good product. 
    • Contrassegnato come risposta GungaGeek venerdì 19 giugno 2009 19:44
    venerdì 19 giugno 2009 19:44

Tutte le risposte

• OneCare will no longer be sold after June 30th, 2009 though existing subscriptions will be supported through the end of their terms.  For this reason, OneCare will never support Windows 7 at all.

However, Microsoft will be releasing a new free anti-malware product, code name 'Morro' later this year to replace OneCare for both Windows 7 and existing Windows XP/Vista systems.  It will only be for malware protection though, so it won't include things like backup or the hub features such as printer sharing.

If you only require antivirus, antispyware and rootkit protection, Morro should be an effective and low overhead alternative.  If you also need some of the other features found in OneCare, then you might be better off looking at other alternatives, though you could also add these separately since Windows 7 already contains its own backup similar to that in OneCare.

Printing and WiFi management are also much easier with Windows 7, so take some time to investigate these before deciding

< EDIT >  It's likely we'll see a beta release of Morro sometime before the release of Windows 7, so I'd think you might be able to try it on your test PC(s) before your 6 weeks of subscription are over.  Since it's timed to release with Windows 7, it's also likely the final version will be out by the October 22nd release date.

Current OneCare subscriptions are also being offered a free 6 month extension presently, so when you are notified of renewal, login to your Windows Live Billing account and see what happens when you click 'renew'.

OneCareBear
    giovedì 18 giugno 2009 18:07
    Moderatore
  • Thanks OneCareBear, I appreciate the clarity on this topic.  Your description of 'Morro' sounds like it is all that I will need.  Too bad OneCare is going poof.  It was a good product. 
    • Contrassegnato come risposta GungaGeek venerdì 19 giugno 2009 19:44
    venerdì 19 giugno 2009 19:44
  • GungaGeek,

Since my last message Microsoft has indicated that the beta version of Morro, now called Windows Security Essentials, will be available next Week Tuesday June 23rd, 2009.  See the post at the top of this General forum for more info and links.

OneCare had its place and did a good job for those who preferred a suite with additional features.  However, I don't really lament its loss, since I never really used those other features over the long term and believe that what they've created with Windows Security Essentials (Morro) will be more valuable to a larger number of PC owners.  The fact that it will also be free is simply a big plus and removes one of the most confusing set of installation and activation issues.

OneCareBear
    venerdì 19 giugno 2009 19:54
    Moderatore