Microsoft Will Drop Legacy Edge and IE11 RRS feed

• Question

• Bleeping Computer reports today that MS will drop Legacy Edge this year and IE 11 in a year. What will this mean for users of MS Money?

Monday, August 17, 2020 5:50 PM

All replies

• Current versions of Microsoft Money - Sunset and Money 2005 - do not need either browser.

Read and understand the post:

• Beginning November 30, 2020, the Microsoft Teams web app will no longer support IE 11.
    • Beginning August 17, 2021, the remaining Microsoft 365 apps and services will no longer support IE 11.
    • After March 9, 2021, the Microsoft Edge Legacy desktop app will not receive new security updates.

IE11 and Legacy Edge will no longer receive support, i.e. no updates, not even for security: they are not being removed from Windows 10.

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 11:50 AM
  • Note this reply posted elsewhere on this forum:

Money Sunset and QFE2 versions do not need IE. They have their own, limited capability browser which now points to the MSN home page.

However, Money includes residual code which, on installation, checks for the presence of IE and its build number.

When Windows 10 was in development Money installed and ran. The last development build number was 9993.

On release, with the same code, the Windows build number was increased to 10240 – from 4 digits to 5 - and Money then refused to install. The first Cumulative Update for Windows 10, in August 2015, included a fix. Since then, whether or not IE11 is disabled in Windows 10, Money will install and run. We do not know what that fix was.

Eventually, Windows 10 will be replaced. Microsoft may not then be either willing, or able, to continue the fix.

Note that any unsupported program is at risk of becoming unusable as Windows is developed. Programs use low-level features in Windows which are continually being modified. Sometimes these features are modified in ways that break programs. With supported programs their developers will work with Microsoft to fix the issues. Unsupported programs may recover if an unintended bug was introduced, but there is no guarantee and if the feature was changed intentionally it is just too bad.

• Edited by SC489 Wednesday, August 19, 2020 6:12 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2020 6:08 AM
  • I have just found my way here in search of (whatever happened to Microsoft Money?). I was actually a Quicken fan forever but several years back between health & a family situation, I dropped using it. I need to regain the control I once had and need a program. There's not much out there for the average citizen to keep control of their spending. I was hoping to learn of something from Microsoft that I wasn't aware of. I'm sorry they're dropping a program you're used to using. Hopefully they have something in mind to replace it with. Good luck to you. 
    Friday, August 28, 2020 1:02 AM
  • I have just found my way here in search of (whatever happened to Microsoft Money?). I was actually a Quicken fan forever but several years back between health & a family situation, I dropped using it. I need to regain the control I once had and need a program. There's not much out there for the average citizen to keep control of their spending. I was hoping to learn of something from Microsoft that I wasn't aware of. I'm sorry they're dropping a program you're used to using. Hopefully they have something in mind to replace it with. Good luck to you. 

Is a cloud solution useful to you? That could be the newer path. Doesn't appeal to me.

I like that Microsoft Money does my personal financial consolidation on my computer. Moneydance tries to take that path. Quicken today seems to do a hybrid.

Friday, August 28, 2020 12:48 PM