OFX Import only updating positions, not individual transactions RRS feed

• Question

• My job switched our 401(k) Provider.  I can get an OFX file, but when I try to import it, I only get total share count changes.  So it imports it as one "Add Shares" transaction per fund instead of each individual Buy transaction.  This used to work with another 401(k) provider.  Has anyone else seen this before?

Alex

Sunday, June 7, 2020 3:09 PM

All replies

• If you right-click on the file and select Edit, or Open with Notepad, you can actually see what you have downloaded.  Sounds like you have requested a Statement Summary, rather than a Transaction History, so perhaps if you select download from a different screen, you'll get the expected results.
    Sunday, June 7, 2020 8:38 PM
  • I see a couple of possible ways to handle this. One would be to change the AddShares transactions into TransferIn from the old account. The Buys and Sells still exist, and the  securities, basis and all, get transferred. I have done that when transferring an account contents to an existing account with its own existing transactions. You could do that for a whole account being transferred.

Another way, if the whole account was transferred, would be to rename the old account to the new account name, change Details. Then Void the AddShares transactions. That is a method I have used when moving a whole account. If you have trouble getting new OFX downloads to route into that account, let us know.

Monday, June 8, 2020 12:43 AM
  • Ameridan,  I checked the file and it has the <INVTRANLIST> section with all the transactions in it.  It also has the <INVPOSLIST> with the current totals, and the <SECLISTMSGSRSV1> with the list of securities.  So it seems like it's all there.  I wonder if there's a syntax error in my new 401(k) provider's ofx file format.

Cal, Sorry, I think I confused things by mentioning my old provider like that.  I already took care of moving the money from the old 401(k) account in Money to the new one, and then buying the appropriate assets.  This issue is about me trying to import new transactions from the downloaded file into Money.

Money knows that these new OFX files are for this new Account.  it's just odd that although all the details are there, Money doesn't seem to recognize them.  It only seems to recognize the  <INVPOSLIST> section of the OFX file.

Any other thoughts are welcomed while I keep looking at the syntax and formatting.

Thanks.

Alex

Monday, June 8, 2020 3:05 AM
  • Cal, Sorry, I think I confused things by mentioning my old provider like that.  I already took care of moving the money from the old 401(k) account in Money to the new one, and then buying the appropriate assets.  This issue is about me trying to import new transactions from the downloaded file into Money.

Money knows that these new OFX files are for this new Account.  it's just odd that although all the details are there, Money doesn't seem to recognize them.  It only seems to recognize the  <INVPOSLIST> section of the OFX file.

Any other thoughts are welcomed while I keep looking at the syntax and formatting.

Thanks.

Alex

I was thinking you are saying that the position data in the new OFX files is not matching with the existing securities.

The investment CombineWith operation might be useful in this case.
    This was added first to Money 2007.

The CombineWith operation was motivated largely by the Fidelity Net
    Benefits quirk of having a wrong "CUSIP" ID in their download.  So
    downloading data from a source with a correct CUSIP and from them
    did not allow Money to understand they were the same stock, and
    could share the same symbol and quotes.

This feature should be of use in more cases too.  The way it works
    is that there is a CombineWith button on the Details page.  You can
    select a security of the SAME Investment Type.  When you go to
    FundA details and click CombineWith, a list of mutual funds already
    defined comes up.  A pop-up tells you that all of this investment
    will be renamed as the other selected investment.  If you combine
    with FundB, in the register, All FundA transactions will now appear
    as FundB.  I suspect that there is a hidden table that will now say
    that both CUSIPs will henceforth refer to FundB.

This feature has a restriction: the combined investments must be of
    the same type.  This will not allow for the case if that some ETFs,
    REITs and MLPs might be called a mutual fund from one broker's
    downloads, and as a stock in others.  The implementation as it sits
    will be very useful, and will handle many of the situations that
    stymie people.

Test gave popup when combining "WY combined" with "WY orig" from "WY orig":
    If you combine  'WY orig' with 'WY combined', all of the transactions for
    'WY orig' are renamed as 'WY combined'. Are you sure you want to
    combine these two investments? [Yes][No] Then "WY orig" no longer shows
    in investments. In my test, I blanked symbol from both first. I was able
    to rename "WY combined" to "WY orig".

As with all new stuff used, keep an extra copy or backup of your file first.

=================BUT...==================

If you are saying that the positions are being matched OK, but you are missing new transactions that occurred after the change in custodian, say so. If BUYMF, SELLMF, BUYSTOCK, SELLSTOCK, INCOMETYPE and so forth are being ignored, Ameridan's idea may cure that for you. Who is the new custodian, in case somebody has specific experience with them and OFX lately?

Monday, June 8, 2020 3:47 PM
  • <SECLISTMSGSRSV1> is like a statement summary, but you are correct in that the individual transactions within <INVTRANLIST> should have imported into your account, as expected.  As an experiment, if you run Pocketsense, add that file to your import folder, so that the file will get scrubbed for tags like CORRECTACTION, CORRECTFITID, etc. that Money doesn't like.
    Monday, June 8, 2020 6:17 PM
  • Thanks for all the thoughts.  They lead me down the correct path.  I ended up using the OFX Analyzer from http://moneymvps.org/faq/article/366.aspx and found that the <TOTAL> fields in the <BUYMF> transactions needed to be negative, but they were positive.  I'm going to try contacting my financial institution to let them know (not that I expect them to correct the error).

The new custodian is Principal.  The old 401(k) was liquidated, money transfered, and new funds were purchased at Principal.  In MS Money, I created the new account, sold all assets from the original, transferred the cash, and purchased the new assets.  I somehow got a downloaded statement or list of transactions from Principal to import into MS money, but couldn't get it to work again.

When I download from them, I can only get data when I choose the "Quicken '05 and Newer" format.  If I choose "Microsoft Money '99 or Newer", "Quicken '99-'04", or "Other", I get a 0 byte file.

Thanks again.  

Alex

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 3:55 AM
  • You could try using this program:  ConvertToOfx.exe available at ConvertToOfx.  It free and open source from GitHub.  I've had success using it to run qfx  (Quicken) files when they don't meet OFX formatting standards,

• Edited by bobjbkln Wednesday, June 10, 2020 3:28 AM Inserted hyperlink.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2020 3:25 AM
  • Thanks.  If my manual method stops working, I'll give ConverttoOfx a shot.

Alex

Saturday, August 22, 2020 3:27 PM