OneCare a big let down!! RRS feed

• Pergunta

• Can someone help me?

I have been a subscriber to OneCare for a week or so now and cannot seem to escape a trojan dropper that has been removed a couple a times already by the virus scan but seems to find it's way back.  Today I am unable to launch task manager and in the RUN field it says this (and no I didn't put it there) which is exactly where i was when I decided to subscribe to OneCare.

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

The task window next to the time looks like it has been cut out by an x-axto knife and left a hole I can see the desktop through.  Something is hogging resources.  I am unable to get to CMD by way of Run as the above stays in that field.  No matter what I type into RUN it tells me "Another program is currently using this file"  therefore I am unable to get to the command prompt.  I disabled a OneCare scan the other day after it ran for 17 hours.  I feel pretty much like I have thrown $50 out the Windows....so to speak..........any help will be eternally appreciated.  BTW, the navigating through this site is anything but user friendly/intuitive.......IMHO.

sexta-feira, 9 de maio de 2008 14:02

Respostas

• I believe that you have a conflict with OneCare if a scan took 17 hours before you killed it. Did you completely remove your prior security software before installing OneCare?

Another real possibility is that your pre-existing problem is something that OneCare is unable to fix and that is causing the OneCare scan performance problems.

Where does OneCare report that the malware has been found and what action does it report to have taken on it? You can open OneCare, click change settings, go to the logging tab and click the link to create the support log to open a report in your browser. Scrolling down to the virus and spyware section should show you the details for the malware detection and action taken.

Depending on where the infection is, you may be able to remove it by running OneCare in Safe Mode against the location that contains the malware. What is the frequency of the infection returning?

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

If your reference to navigating the forums is due to the server errors that many are encountering, that's a pretty bad issue that the MSDN communities team is aware of and actively trying to resolve. If you mean that finding information within the forums is difficult, that is, unfortunately, the nature of forums, though you can use the search function to narrow down results to match a specific search.

In your case, though, I strongly recommend that you seek technical support per the information in the link above.

-steve

sexta-feira, 9 de maio de 2008 14:37
    Moderador

Todas as Respostas

• I believe that you have a conflict with OneCare if a scan took 17 hours before you killed it. Did you completely remove your prior security software before installing OneCare?

Another real possibility is that your pre-existing problem is something that OneCare is unable to fix and that is causing the OneCare scan performance problems.

Where does OneCare report that the malware has been found and what action does it report to have taken on it? You can open OneCare, click change settings, go to the logging tab and click the link to create the support log to open a report in your browser. Scrolling down to the virus and spyware section should show you the details for the malware detection and action taken.

Depending on where the infection is, you may be able to remove it by running OneCare in Safe Mode against the location that contains the malware. What is the frequency of the infection returning?

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

If your reference to navigating the forums is due to the server errors that many are encountering, that's a pretty bad issue that the MSDN communities team is aware of and actively trying to resolve. If you mean that finding information within the forums is difficult, that is, unfortunately, the nature of forums, though you can use the search function to narrow down results to match a specific search.

In your case, though, I strongly recommend that you seek technical support per the information in the link above.

-steve

sexta-feira, 9 de maio de 2008 14:37
    Moderador
  • Thank you for the prompt reply, Steve.  Yesterday in 2 seperate phone calls I spent over 3 hours on the phone with the techincians and today a supervisor broomed my off to my hardware  OEM (Gateway) for a "system file check".  I'm confused by this as I have a problem in my registry.  When Bangalore gives up on you where do you turn?  I am still unable to run REGEDIT, or CMD or anything from RUN for that matter as well as task mamager.  I am also unable to d'load Service pack 3 because as soon as it gets to the CMD.exe it stops the upload and informs me someone ELSE is using that file.  The last thing the technician gave me to do last night was to run the virus scan from SAFE MODE and it did detect and eliminate a trojandownloader: ASX/WIMAD/.GEN!C which is a different trojan that I was bothered with previously.  I am still not out of the woods though as I have no idea how to reach Gateway as their tech support has been farmed out.  Besides my problem is with the OS not the hardware.  The OneCare techs are excellent I must say even though my case is closed unresolved.  They are all very efficient, very polite, and very knowledgeable.  I had several hunting through my system remotely all to no avail......nobody seems to want to see about the line that was in my RUN when this all started which said   ............

REG add HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\policies\system/v disable task manager

Where this came from and how is still a mystery to me.

Sincerely,

Paul

domingo, 11 de maio de 2008 19:16
  • I'm sorry to read that the problem persists despite working with OneCare support. Did you try the other number I posted for malware removal help? That is the only thing that the techs do at that support line - remove malware.

On the other hand, it may be worth biting the bullet on this and making sure that critical data has been backed up (and scanned for possible infections before restoring) and then performing a full restore of your Gateway PC using the restore CD/DVD set or the restore function to return it to factory condition. Once that's complete, reinstall OneCare and your other software, the restore your data. That may be a painful process, but it will be the best way to insure that all is well with the PC. You may be able to resolve the issues without such a drastic move, but it will likely be the quickest solution when all is said and done.

-steve

segunda-feira, 12 de maio de 2008 14:47
    Moderador
  • I'm having the same problem.  I try to clean this and it supposedly cleans it then it reappears and now OneCare can't clean it.  I'm very frustrated and pretty disappointed with this OneCare deal.  I'm glad it is just a trial.

quinta-feira, 29 de maio de 2008 22:28
  •  Tamster wrote:
    I'm having the same problem.  I try to clean this and it supposedly cleans it then it reappears and now OneCare can't clean it.  I'm very frustrated and pretty disappointed with this OneCare deal.  I'm glad it is just a trial.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2 As a trial user, the support will be via email.

-steve
    sexta-feira, 30 de maio de 2008 00:29
    Moderador