Is it a OneCare Problem?? RRS feed

• Pergunta

• I have been experiencing a strange problem for more than a year.  The only common thread seems to be windows live onecare.  This problem persists on five different dell laptops (some Inspirion and some Vostro).  The problem persists with both Windows XP and Windows Vista.  The problem persists with both Office 2003 and Office 2007.  I have tried formatting the hard drives to rectify the problem, but the problem persists.  I have tried using several different USB devices and connections, all experiencing the same problem.  I have a dell desktop computer that runs McAfee and does not experience the problem.  I have used the USB devices on other computers with no problems.  Here is the problem.

The problem occurs when using Microsoft word, running a file off any USB device (the problem does not occur when running reading a file from the hard drive). Specifically, the problem occurs when saving to the USB device.  Periodically, when saving, I receive assorted errors including something like "The drive door is open close the drive door" and "the file is in use by another program, can not save" and "file permission error".  In each case, the drive is plugged in, and Word is the only program running on the computer.  Microsoft word then crashes.  The event is particularly vicious, because it not only dissallows the save, it deletes the entire file off of the USB device.  On occassion, I have been able to trick the computer into allowing me to save the file, but not reliably.  I have tried everything I can think of to resolve the issue.... upgrade office.... upgrade the operating system..... format the hard drives..... replace USB devices.....purchase new computers, turn off the function that lets the drives go to sleep when inactive, and I am certain some others that I no longer recall. 

The only remaining common denominators are these.  The computers that do not have problems are desktops, while the computers that do have problems are laptops.  The computers that do have problems run Live OneCare while the computers that do not have problems run McAfee.

Is this a known OneCare issue?  Is there a workaround? Any help would be greatly appreciated

quinta-feira, 29 de novembro de 2007 20:58

Respostas

• Thank You Steve.  Uninstalled OneCare.  Problem gone.  Too bad, I just last week renewed my OneCare licences for 5 different computers.  This problem asside, I very much liked Onecare. But this problem is unacceptable.  I am sadly switching back to McAfee.

sábado, 1 de dezembro de 2007 23:02

Todas as Respostas

• I believe you are experiencing what has been discussed in several threads now, including this one, the most recent - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=906300&SiteID=2

So, it is hard to pin down, but it certainly appears like OneCare is involved.

-steve

sexta-feira, 30 de novembro de 2007 02:37
    Moderador
  • Thank You Steve.  Uninstalled OneCare.  Problem gone.  Too bad, I just last week renewed my OneCare licences for 5 different computers.  This problem asside, I very much liked Onecare. But this problem is unacceptable.  I am sadly switching back to McAfee.

sábado, 1 de dezembro de 2007 23:02
  • Thanks for trying OneCare, though. This problem has been most elusive. It was more widespread some time ago and it appeared to have died down, but we're still getting reports of it now and again. Hopefully they can nail it completely soon. Be sure to check back to see if it has been resolved - I'm sure that there will be updates in these forums about the issue.

-steve

segunda-feira, 3 de dezembro de 2007 03:56
    Moderador
  •  

As Steve mentioned, this was a legacy problem which we believe to have been resolved around 3 months back.  The latest version of OneCare v2.0 includes this fix and was specificially tested against MS Office at the time of the fix.

Your indication that the problem ONLY occurs on the USB is very interesting.  If this is the case, we'd like to get more information from you on the contents of the USB drive as well as the doc size in question (or complexity of the doc).  It would also be helpful to understand your USB speed (USB 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0).

Another thread also discusses this problem and points to Office updates as being the factor which re-introduces these problems.  Although nothing is certain, we will look into this problem and attempt some general analysis.

Again, any details you can provide would help expedite our investigations.

Sincerely,

Eddy

quarta-feira, 5 de dezembro de 2007 19:15