Live Mesh does not sync or work with files on NAS RRS feed

• Pergunta

• My files are on an HP Media Vault Network Attached Storage (NAS) on my home network. I use my Thinkpad to access these files and have Live Mesh installed on my Thinkpad. I noticed that Live Mesh cannot sync with the drives and/or folders on the NAS, even through my Thinkpad. This makes Live Mesh pretty much worthless for my application. Does anyone know if there is a way around this problem or if Microsoft is working on a solution? Thanks in advance.  
    quarta-feira, 20 de janeiro de 2010 11:18

Respostas

• This is not likely to change.
    You cannot sync files located on removable media or a mapped drive.
    From Help:

Are there types of files or folders that I cannot share or synchronize?

You cannot synchronize or share the following with Live Mesh:

• Files containing obscene or copyrighted material. Copying or sharing unauthorized materials, including materials that you did not create or you do not have the rights necessary for use, is a violation of the Windows Live terms of use. See the Microsoft Copyright Notice and FAQ.
    • Files whose names begin with a tilde (~)
    • desktop.ini
    • thumbs.db
    • Hidden files
    • Windows Systems folders
    • Your Desktop directory folder (for example, C:\users\[myusername]\Desktop on Windows Vista or C:\Documents and Settings\[myusername]\Desktop on Windows XP)
    • Files and folders stored on removable media (such as an external hard drive, flash drive, or USB drive)
    • Files and folders stored on mapped network drives

Live Mesh also blocks files that have the following file extensions:

• .bak
    • .gfs
    • .laccdb
    • .lnk
    • .mbf
    • .mny
    • .mpc
    • .pst
    • .sav
    • .tmp
    • .wlx
    Note

The .wlx extension represents files that have not finished synchronizing in a Live Mesh folder. Typically, the extension will go away once synchronization is complete. However, in some cases, the extension may persist if you have exceeded the storage limit on your Live Desktop.

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    quarta-feira, 20 de janeiro de 2010 13:24
    Moderador

Todas as Respostas

• This is not likely to change.
    You cannot sync files located on removable media or a mapped drive.
    From Help:

Are there types of files or folders that I cannot share or synchronize?

You cannot synchronize or share the following with Live Mesh:

• Files containing obscene or copyrighted material. Copying or sharing unauthorized materials, including materials that you did not create or you do not have the rights necessary for use, is a violation of the Windows Live terms of use. See the Microsoft Copyright Notice and FAQ.
    • Files whose names begin with a tilde (~)
    • desktop.ini
    • thumbs.db
    • Hidden files
    • Windows Systems folders
    • Your Desktop directory folder (for example, C:\users\[myusername]\Desktop on Windows Vista or C:\Documents and Settings\[myusername]\Desktop on Windows XP)
    • Files and folders stored on removable media (such as an external hard drive, flash drive, or USB drive)
    • Files and folders stored on mapped network drives

Live Mesh also blocks files that have the following file extensions:

• .bak
    • .gfs
    • .laccdb
    • .lnk
    • .mbf
    • .mny
    • .mpc
    • .pst
    • .sav
    • .tmp
    • .wlx
    Note

The .wlx extension represents files that have not finished synchronizing in a Live Mesh folder. Typically, the extension will go away once synchronization is complete. However, in some cases, the extension may persist if you have exceeded the storage limit on your Live Desktop.

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    quarta-feira, 20 de janeiro de 2010 13:24
    Moderador
  • Stephen, I hate to disagree with you "You cannot sync files located on removable media or a mapped drive."

I have Live mesh synced to my Maxtor "G" drive and it works just fine.

quinta-feira, 10 de março de 2011 22:20
  • Stephen, I hate to disagree with you "You cannot sync files located on removable media or a mapped drive."

I have Live mesh synced to my Maxtor "G" drive and it works just fine.

Sorry, you are not disagreeing with me and we are both correct. :-)

You replied to a post from a year ago and it refers to Live Mesh beta --- www.mesh.com --- and it was valid for that service.

With the release of Windows Live Mesh, part of Windows Live Essentials, and the merging of Live Sync and Live Mesh into a new service offering and program, you can now sync with other locations.

-steve

sexta-feira, 11 de março de 2011 20:16
    Moderador
  • How did you set that up? 

I have a network drive at home (mapped to T in my case), and i'd like Mesh to sync my document to that. 

I tried selecting the mapped folder first, but got the error "Folders in network locations can't be synced."

I want to select a destination other than SkyDrive!  I want to select the destination as my LAN mapped T-drive.

sábado, 2 de abril de 2011 08:38
  • How did you set that up? 

I have a network drive at home (mapped to T in my case), and i'd like Mesh to sync my document to that. 

I tried selecting the mapped folder first, but got the error "Folders in network locations can't be synced."

I want to select a destination other than SkyDrive!  I want to select the destination as my LAN mapped T-drive.

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

segunda-feira, 4 de abril de 2011 15:32
    Moderador