IDrive (Offsite Data Backup)

Pergunta

• Hello

I am wondering if anybody tried if IDrive (www.idrive.com) also works on the Homeserver RC1?

It works well on normal MS Server 2003, but also Homeversion?

Thanks for your feedback, would be a great online Backup tool,

Daniel

quinta-feira, 21 de junho de 2007 17:22

Respostas

• I notice they seem to cover copyrighted material in their agreement, personaly i don't like being called about my backups of my movies because lets face it, the whole reason of the backup is to not have to swap dvd's ;-)
    terça-feira, 26 de junho de 2007 21:26

Todas as Respostas

• Hello

Since nobady replied, I made the step:

Installation no problem. Backup works great, so now all my data are secured online.

WHS is great folks, lets wait for the final release....

dk

sexta-feira, 22 de junho de 2007 03:45
  • Yes IDrive-E (as it's known) works fine on Windows Home Server. My article may help you for more information.
    segunda-feira, 25 de junho de 2007 13:57
    Moderador
  • Thanks for your Feedback, Great article. Can only underline that IDrive works great. I have uploaded about 40GB (and ongoing) and it works great in the background and the ressources needed are minimal.

dk

segunda-feira, 25 de junho de 2007 15:42
  • I've posted a suggestion for an Add-in using Handy Backup. It has a great FTP feature that allows you to back up to your own remote server.  But there have been no takers on the suggestion...

Handy Backup will allow you to back up via a network drive or FTP to your own server! It is Server 2003 compatible. It also has a great tab that you can throttle it on or off to run as a service too.

I normally used it on my other pc's before WHS. Now I run it as a service on WHS and have it FTP WHS shares to my remote web server during the weeeee hours of the night. It runs all on it's own even if I'm not logged in...just as it should. Now I have some of my most important files redundantly backed up off site.  That rocks!

I have a web server with 300 gig of unused storage for next to nothing a month ($7.00!). I host 4 web sites and run a small game server on it too. So, for way less than what Idrive  and those other remote server backup companies charge, you can get your own web server and store your stuff on it way cheaper! And you don't have to even put a web site up to use it......

I sound like a billboard for them both, but some of you may find alternatives useful

www.handybackup.net
    www.bluehost.com
    terça-feira, 26 de junho de 2007 00:04
  • Thanks for your Feedback, just one little add-on. IDrive is about 5$ a month with unlimited up/download and it has a really fast client to upload the data and you also have a versioning function.

Have a look www.idrive.com there is a 2GB free version.

dk

terça-feira, 26 de junho de 2007 13:05
  • I notice they seem to cover copyrighted material in their agreement, personaly i don't like being called about my backups of my movies because lets face it, the whole reason of the backup is to not have to swap dvd's ;-)
    terça-feira, 26 de junho de 2007 21:26
  • I signed up for IDrive - the $4.xx per month is fine for what I needed.

To me, IDrive is not for backing up the 1+ TB of DVD movies that I have on my WHS. It provides the final level of backup for total piece of mind for my personal data that cannot be recreated from anywhere else.

My WHS is currently backing up 55GB of data to IDrive - should be done by about Midnight Thursday night. That data is all of my digital photos, excel spreadsheets, financial software data, etc. that I have accumulated over the years.

WHS now has finally given me the last pieces of automated backup - from the desktops to the server, and IDrive gives the the automated off-site backup. Now, when I insert a memory card from my digitcal camers into my laptop, it is automatically copied out to the server Photos share (which is duplicated for redundancy) and then will be backed up within a few hours to IDrive.

As for Media backups (music, movies, etc) - my music collection doesn't grow that fast to worry about it. I have an external drive that has a copy of the music share which I keep at my desk at work (which has other benefits Smile. So that handles my 160 GB of music if I need to restore from a total catastrophe. DVD backups are just too large to worry about either duplicating or backing up offsite. Even if I had them on IDrive, it is faster to re-rip the DVD ISO than it is to download from IDrive.

quarta-feira, 27 de junho de 2007 17:33
  • I'm a little unclear about how people are using the IDrive service.  Is the client installed on the WHS server or one of the networked clients?  I ran it on one of my clients and while it worked, it was cumbersome to configure the way I wanted.  It would be much better if I could run it off the server.

Jim

quarta-feira, 27 de junho de 2007 19:21
  • Jim

It runs directly from WHS and is Backing up your defined shares whenever you want it. I Backup my shares during the night to keep the Bandwith.

As long everbody of your users have their Data on the WHS machine stored there is no more headache about loosing data. And it stores up to 30 previous versions of the file.

Works great....

daniel

quarta-feira, 27 de junho de 2007 20:43
  • Hi Jim,

If you want to know how to install and configure IDrive-E, I have posted a tutorial on my site.

quinta-feira, 28 de junho de 2007 00:15
    Moderador
  • Phil,

I installed this...and seems to work great.

However, after I log off, the back-up seems to stop. Is this running as a service in the background? Do I have to log on for it to work?

Thx

Dawg.

terça-feira, 3 de julho de 2007 04:47
  • Hi,

If you have configered it the way I have suggested then it runs as a service in the background, so you don't have to be logged in for it to work.

terça-feira, 3 de julho de 2007 08:49
    Moderador
  •  dkazoch wrote:

As long everbody of your users have their Data on the WHS machine stored there is no more headache about loosing data. And it stores up to 30 previous versions of the file.

Works great....

daniel

Daniel,  I apoligize in advance if I am wrong, but I suspect you are an employee of IDrive-E or have some financial gain.  Tell me if I am wrong and I will send my apoligies right away, but please be truthful.  If I am right, I do not think this is the place to promote a product.  It may be a great product but forum users have to decide that for themselves.  There is little detail in your posts that helps us decide what we should do here. 

Having said that, based on Philip Churchill's excellent and detailed information that he referenced above in this thread, I have tried IDrive-E.  I did some initial test and then signed up for the $5 per month plan.  I must say I like the simplicity of this solution. It is working well for me.  However, the speed is quite slow but that is not the fault of IDrive-E; it is due to the throttle put on my upload speed by my ISP (as all ISPs I am aware of do).  It would take forever to upload your DVD collection as even one movie of average length takes about 20 hours at my upload speeds (and I have a fast cable connection).  Also if you've got VOIP you can forget about any clarity on your phone conversations unless you pause the uploads while you are talking.  I know this will not last forever, because eventually I will not have to run backups 24 hours per day after the initial backups are done.  I have set IDrive-E to back up only in the early morning hours, but that will not be put in place until after I have intial backups done and that is taking many days.

IDrive-E seems to be a good product if you set it up the way Mr. Churchill suggested in his excellent tutorial.  Just be prepared for a bandwidth problem during the initial backups.

I provide this first hand information not to criticize or praise the product, but in hopes it will provide some useful information for forum members.

Best regards,

terça-feira, 3 de julho de 2007 16:35
  • Hello George

No, I am not an employee or neither do I have any financial gain.

Regarding Upload Speed. I have a 1 Megabite Upload Speed and it took me some 80 hours. Yes, thats a long time, but since I have uploaded everything the incremental Backups are very fast.

I also don't have any DVD's to upload. I just have my MP3 songs and Pictures and Important Data. For the DVD's I have a a easy solution, I just plug in a 500 GB USB drive in my client hand backup from WHS (99$ Solution for each USB Drive) and store it Offsite and also only for those i could not buy anymore.

Its the own descision of everybody how he wants to secure his data and i guess I am a kind of paranoid, but I can't recover those data if I lose them so I take every possibility to make them real secure.

BR

DAniel

Remark: IDrive added in the Meantime a Business solution for 99$ a year. And their Fair Share policy allowes up to 150GB of Disk Space. So if you are under 150BG great. Any other solution over 150GB?

terça-feira, 3 de julho de 2007 17:15
  •  dkazoch wrote:

Hello George

No, I am not an employee or neither do I have any financial gain.

Okay, Daniel. You now have my official apoligy.  But I as only one forum member, would appreciate it if you would provide the downside of this product as well as the upside.  That would allow all forum members to make a more informed decision.  Thanks for your comments.  I do appreciate the information you have provided here.

Regards,

terça-feira, 3 de julho de 2007 18:16
  • Here are some recommended online backup providers listed by the amount of data that you wish to back up.

1. For up to 25GB of storage I would use Mediamax FREE alongside Proxure Keepvault add-in for WHS. And as the package name suggests it is free.
    2. IDrive-E Pro for Personal Use allows unlimited storage space for your backups. Although their use of "unlimited" is 150GB. So for backing up 26GB-150GB I would use them @ $4.95 per month.
    3. For backing up 151GB-250GB I would use the Mediamax Elite service along side Proxure Keepvault add-in for WHS @ $9.95 per month.
    4. And for backing up 251GB-1000GB Mediamax again along side Proxure Keepvault add-in for WHS @ $29.95 per month.

More details available from my site.

terça-feira, 3 de julho de 2007 21:10
    Moderador
  •  judgeschambers wrote:

I have a web server with 300 gig of unused storage for next to nothing a month ($7.00!). I host 4 web sites and run a small game server on it too. So, for way less than what Idrive  and those other remote server backup companies charge, you can get your own web server and store your stuff on it way cheaper! And you don't have to even put a web site up to use it......

www.bluehost.com

PhillTheChill wrote:

Here are some recommended online backup providers listed by the amount of data that you wish to back up.

1. For up to 25GB of storage I would use Mediamax FREE alongside Proxure Keepvault add-in for WHS. And as the package name suggests it is free.
    2. IDrive-E Pro for Personal Use allows unlimited storage space for your backups. Although their use of "unlimited" is 150GB. So for backing up 26GB-150GB I would use them @ $4.95 per month.
    3. For backing up 151GB-250GB I would use the Mediamax Elite service along side Proxure Keepvault add-in for WHS @ $9.95 per month.
    4. And for backing up 251GB-1000GB Mediamax again along side Proxure Keepvault add-in for WHS @ $29.95 per month.

More details available from my site.

Based on the comments byThe Judge and Phill above, I see that The Judges recommendaiton for 150GB and over is looking better all the time.  Even though I have already signed up for a month-to-month contract at $5 per month with IDrive-E, I am thinking about moving over to the 300GB, $7 per month alternative offered by Bluehost because I, too, have more than 150GB of WHS Share Folders to backup.  The cost per GB is actually lower at Bluehost if you have over 150GB of data to backup.  IDrive-E says their 150GB many change (hopefully that means increase rather than decrease) so I may wait a bit to see how this all works out.  I sure hate to have to go throught the bandwidth limiting first backups of my WHS Share folders to another service.

Best regards, 

quarta-feira, 4 de julho de 2007 03:05
  • I am not an FTP expert....what about security? Are the files encrypted on the FTP site?

Thanks for any explanations,

daniel

Phoenix, AZ

quarta-feira, 4 de julho de 2007 03:22
  • hi,

i'm french,

i've subscribe this service (personal use unlimited...150 go..) for 49.50 $/year.

for your information, in euros, my bank invoices me 37 €...

Sly.

quarta-feira, 11 de julho de 2007 12:59
  • I just went on IDRIVE site and the general conditions are ***! So much for a so called "unlimited storage", as you were saying dkazoch, if you have less than 150GB...fine around 50$ a year that's great, the soft is fine, the speed is there, cool.

But if you have more than 150GB, either you go under a pro subscription or you get penalties by GB over 150GB...uuh?? The penalties are just there to make you switch to a pro account, which is not the same price...

For my part, there is a site that is starting slowly, Foreversafe.com, unlimited (really) storage for 39€/year that is today around 50$ so same price as Idrive but with real unlimited, the bad stuff about it is that they don't have the soft yet. The storage is there, but the only way to put stuff on is throught a lousy web interface...the soft is in progress...

But I might say that if I had money, Idrive would the solution, the crypting, the soft, the large range of option for the backup, the speed. Good product...

But unfortunately, I don't have money, just ideas...

sexta-feira, 13 de julho de 2007 23:20
  • hum, judgeschambers could you mail me I'd like to know more about your bluehost space, I visited the website it's unbelievable...but WHS forum is not the best place to talk about that...I'd like to know everything before maybe transfering my domain and starting my backups on bluehost...

please mail me julienrosier@dumbcat.fr

Thanks a lot.

sexta-feira, 13 de julho de 2007 23:40
  • I am trying this service monthly and it seems to be quite good. Bandwith is quite slow though. I am getting 789Kbps, which is only about 110k up. It is taking forever for my 140Gig. Two weeks now. Ha.

Anyway, a add-in for this would be really nice.

Thx for the tip on this one.

Dawg.

domingo, 15 de julho de 2007 06:26
  • Dawg,

I don't know what your Internet service is but generally speaking if you are getting 789 Kbps (thousands of bits per second i.e. 789,000 bps) that is a reasonable upload speed. Is it possible you are confusing bits and bytes? Bandwidth is measured in bits per second or bps whereas storage is measured in bytes e.g. 140 GigaBytes

It will take you over 500 hours to transfer 140 GB at a bandwidth of 640,000 bits per second (640 Kbps) and that is on a 24 hour basis.

My mother always said that patience is a virtue....

quarta-feira, 18 de julho de 2007 20:28
  • Thx for the reply. Yes my bits and bytes are correct. I should not have spoken too soon, I am down to 444Kb now. Ha. You can double that now to 1000 hours.

I should of said in my earlier thread that you dont realize how slow 110KB is untill you try uploading a server.

Its a good thing that I have patience.

Dawg.

quinta-feira, 19 de julho de 2007 00:54
  •  dkazoch wrote:

I am not an FTP expert....what about security? Are the files encrypted on the FTP site?

Unfortunately, I am an FTP expert :-(.  Traditional FTP transfers usernames, passwords, and data in clear text.  Recent options include FTP/TLS that encrypts the control channel (e.g. username & password) but not the data channel.  Not every client or server supports FTP/TLS.  FTP/TLS is not to be confused with SFTP which is not FTP at all (it's an SSH connection that happens to look like it accepts FTP commands).

The output file is just as encrypted as the input file - FTP is just the *transfer* protocol, not the data storage protocol.  If you want your data encrypted at the other end, you should encrypt it before you transfer it.  That would be a good practise anyway since then if your username/password is compromised, the data won't do anybody any good.  Personally, I would not store any unencrypted Quicken data on a remote server that I don't have control over.   You never know when that supplier is going to go belly up, allow a remote penetration, have a disgruntled sysadmin, or simply sell an old server and its disks without wiping the data first.

.../Ed

sexta-feira, 20 de julho de 2007 17:59
  • Thanks,

I have now backup4all and encrypt my files bevore I upload them. Your explanations make absolute sense, dont want to share my personal data with the whole world...

tnx

daniel

sexta-feira, 20 de julho de 2007 19:10
  • Hello all,

I have been using the service since the beginning of the month and its almost perfect... almost.  I have a few questions/issues that I emailed IDrive support a few days ago but have yet to get any answer.  Maybe some of you might know the answers?  Any help would be appreciated!

1. Is there an easy way to know for sure that all of my files are backed up beyond doing a file by file comparison on my own?

2. Let's say I want to move a large amount of data from one folder to another (i.e. move 40 GB of mp3s from \\server\music\itunes to \\server\music\mp3 or maybe take it a step further and say that I rename the folder from itunes to mp3).  Is Idrive smart enough to realize that all those files just moved to a different location and it will move them or will it see it as data has been deleted\new data has been added and try to upload 40 GB again?

3. When I delete a file (on purpose) that has been backed up, does it stay on Idrive until I remove it?

4. Those are basic questions, but here are some problems.  Every so often I'll notice that during a backup, the process will get hung up on trying to back up a certain file.  Last time this happened, it was a simple bmp file that was 1.5 MB.  It didn't lock up and stop, it actually  kept uploading the file over and over again for the remainder of the backup (the log says it was an incremental backup.)  This really slowed things down since Idrive was only able to upload one file at a time instead of two.

5. A couple of times I've seen Idrive try to backup files that don't exist anymore because I had recently either deleted them or moved them to a different location.  Has anyone seen this?

quarta-feira, 25 de julho de 2007 13:09
  • Hi ,

perhaps verify the numbers of files, or global size ? it's marked on the interface

Is Idrive smart enough---> no... Wink
    if you backup after your change, idrive keep on idrive server your 40Go of itunes folder and backup 4àgo of mp3 folder.
    two solutions : you must delete itunes folder on idrive server and backup mp3 folder or
    use SYNC function : this is the same, but it's auto !

no, idrive keep your old backp files, you must use SYNC function.

extract of Idrive FAQ wrote:

What is the sync feature?

The ‘Sync’ feature lets you match the contents of your IDrive-E account to that of your local computer for the selected folder(s)/drive(s) existing on your IDrive-E account.

This is a very useful option if you have been backing up regularly, and now you have cleared up some data on your computer and wish to clear the same on your IDrive-E account to bring them in sync.

However, we recommend you to use this feature carefully only after completely understanding how the sync feature works.

How does the sync feature work?

On the Restore tab, once you click on the Sync icon after selecting the folder(s)/drive(s), the IDrive-E application displays the list of files that are not present on your local computer, but are still available on your IDrive-E account for the selected folder(s)/drive(s).

Upon synchronization, these files will be deleted from the selected folder(s)/drive(s) present on your IDrive-E account.

Now after synchronization, the IDrive-E application will prompt a message asking if you wish to sync the contents of your IDrive-E account for the selected folder(s)/drive(s) with the most recent contents on your local computer. Clicking on Yes will take the backup of the most recent contents of the selected folder(s)/drive(s) on your local computer and update the same in your IDrive-E account.

In other words, the ‘Sync’ operation is a ‘two-way sync’ from ‘My Computer’ to your IDrive-E account and vice versa for the selected folder(s)/drive(s).

4. i dont undertand your question.. my english is poor..

5.i don't sure, but, if you move often folder on your server, use Sync function. (this function is not in schedule task).

I hope to have answered has your questions

quarta-feira, 25 de julho de 2007 17:50
  •  

So one more question for everyone....

I have got I-Drive working and so far so good.

I am double paranoid about backups because our house burned down about 10 years ago and we lost a lot of data (beside other things)

I want to move the actual "backups" that Home server makes.

Where would those files be? Where should I point i-Drive?

Thanks ahead of time

quinta-feira, 26 de julho de 2007 02:34
  •  

i'm not sur understand your question. you want to move your backup ? another location ?

have you read the faq ? most of responses..

http://www.idrive.com/online-backup-faq.htm

for other people, the official demo is great !

http://www.idrive.com/online-backup-demo.htm

quinta-feira, 26 de julho de 2007 08:26
  • I should have worded that better.

What I want to do is backup (make a copy) of the backup files on home server out on to i-drive and I am trying to figure out what directories to backup/sync to make that happen

Thanks

quinta-feira, 26 de julho de 2007 09:25
  • I think you are looking for this directory. D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

quinta-feira, 26 de julho de 2007 22:42
  • Perfect,

Exactly what I needed!

Thanks

sexta-feira, 27 de julho de 2007 01:49
  • I had to take that directory out of my iDrive backup as it caused a conflict with my WHS backup a couple of times, causing it to fail.  Is there a trick to making it work?  I tried changing the time, but the backups sometimes take so long that they end up conflicting anyway.
    sexta-feira, 27 de julho de 2007 13:18
  • I finally received my response back from Idrive:

Hello User,

Thank you for contacting the IDrive-E Support.

1. Is there an easy way to know for sure that all of my files are backed up beyond doing a file by file comparison on my own?

You may also verify the status of the backups using the following steps:

1. Login to IDrive-E application.

2. Click on 'Activity Log' Menu

3. Click on 'session' option.

2. Lets say I want to move a large amount of data from one folder to another i.e move 40 GB of mp3s from \\server\music\itunes to \\server\music\mp3. Or maybe take it a step further and say that I rename the folder from itunes to mp3

Please note that, if the files/folders are moved on the local computer, then the application will back them up again, since it maintains mirror path by default

3. When I delete a file on purpose that has been backed up, does it stay on Idrive until I remove it?

If you delete a file/folder on your local computer, then they will still reside on your account. You need to manually delete them from your account.

4. Those are basic questions, but here are some problems. Every so often Ill notice that during a backup, the process will get hung up on trying to back up a certain file. Last time this happened, it was a simple bmp file that was 1.5 MB.

If the issue persists , please send us the complete log files from the send error report feature of the application.

5. Ive seen Idrive try to backup files that I had recently either deleted or moved to a different location. I had not logged off or rebooted in between the time of the move/deletion and the time the backup started. Is this a bug?

Once you delete/move files/folders on your local computer, then you have to update the backup-set accordingly (manually).

Please feel free to contact us for further queries or clarifications.

Regards,

IDrive-E Support

They cut off some of my questions so look at my previous post if it doesnt' make sense.  Very disappointing that it will reupload a large amound of data if you change folders.

sexta-feira, 27 de julho de 2007 15:16
  • Has anyone tried the 'Sync' feature and have it work?  I tried using it and all that happened was the IDrive exe taking 80-90 percent of the CPU time with nothing noticable happening on the screen for over 24 hours.  This has happened multiple times.  Has anyone else had any luck with it?

quinta-feira, 2 de agosto de 2007 19:21
  • i'm using the Sync Function..

she's block my system but she's works. my system is "low" since 10 minutes (perhaps more) then when the synchro is launched, all is ok.

quinta-feira, 2 de agosto de 2007 21:06
  • My experience has been generally good with IDrive. I have Mac Leopard and IDrive appeared to be better than other services including .Mac in executing the backups. I was able to move around 20GB in about a day. I have 500Kb/sec bandwidth.

quarta-feira, 14 de maio de 2008 03:45
  • Hello,

I would recommend you to try the sync feature using the latest updated setup. Its  working fine with the latest updated setup. You can download and install the latest updated setup using the following link:

http://www.idrive.com/downloads/IDriveSetup.exe

sábado, 7 de junho de 2008 15:15
  • If you are wanting to backup your backup folder from the WHS, then it isn't just a matter of copying a folder.

As detailed in the M/s Document, the following is the procedure:

Quote:

To copy the backup database from your Windows Home Server
    (In this example, assume that the external hard drive is given a drive letter of ESmile

1.  Run mstsc.exe to start a Remote Desktop Connection session to your home
    server.
    Caution 
    Be careful when using a Remote Desktop Connection to your home server.
    You can damage Windows Home Server functionality if you use it incorrectly.   
    2.  Plug in an external hard drive to your home server (do not add it to the Server
    Storage through the Windows Home Server Console).                 
    3.  Open a Command Prompt, Click Start, Run and type CMD
    4.  Type net stop PDL.
    5.  Type net stop WHSBackup to stop the Windows Home Server Backup service.
    6.  Copy the contents of D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    to the external hard drive E:. 
    7.  Type net start WHSBackup to restart the Windows Home Server Backup
    service.
    8.  Type net start PDL.
    The only relevant settings that Windows Home Server backup stores in the registry on
    the home server are Backup Time and Automatic Backup Management. 

Unquote.

HTH,

Colin

sábado, 7 de junho de 2008 16:54
  • Hello All,
    I have subscribed to idrive and am currently undertaking the initial backup (230kb/sec uploading 55gb).
    Does anyone know if i can switch off my computer during this or will i have to start the backup all over again?
    thanks

quinta-feira, 30 de abril de 2009 15:19
  • For questions about iDrive, you should probably check with iDrive support.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    quinta-feira, 30 de abril de 2009 15:27
    Moderador