OneCare Delete a backup set folder from an external hard disk in XP my added notes THIS WORKED FOR ME. RRS feed

• Discussão Geral

•  I have added my notes to the OneCare instruction. For me there was a missing step. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Undate 07-08-08

I am running Windows XP Professional SP3 on this system. NOT home edition.

My apologies for not noting that in my original post.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2

Notes XP USERS FOLLOW THESE STEPS FIRST(print this info or put a copy in your shared folder so you have it when in "safe mode" for easy referance)

NOW YOU CAN DO THIS:

Delete a backup set folder from an external hard disk in Microsoft Windows XP

1. On the Start menu, click Run.

2. Type explorer.exe, and then press ENTER.

3. In My Computer, double-click the drive letter that corresponds to your external hard disk.

4. Right-click the Windows Live OneCare folder, and then click Properties.

5. On the Security tab, under Groups or user names, click either Administrators or your user name.

6. Next to Full Control, select the Allow check box, and then click Apply.

1. In the Windows Live OneCare folder, select the backup set folder, and then press DELETE.

Here is the missing part that fixed it for me:

I also applied step 4-6 to the computer folder just in side the OneCare back up folder.

So after aplying “Full control to the OneCare folder, open the OneCare, right-click the folder with your computers name, apply steps 5-6. That fixed it for me.

Personal note:

This is disappointing. This is not user friendly! This is overly complicated for a basic home computer. OneCare is being sold as a all in one “USER FRIENDLY” utility. Having to spend hours searching FAQ and forums to learn how to simply delete redundant back up files is tedious and annoying. I certainly don't intend to be rude, but this is not user friendly.

Am I alone in this assessment?

domingo, 6 de julho de 2008 15:51

Todas as Respostas

• Thanks for providing your experience. I've added a note to the FAQ post referencing this one.

Yes, I'm also disappointed in the lack of a simple maintenance process from within OneCare to handle cleaning up backups from hard drives - external or network Shares. I'm afraid that the lack of this feature is due to the original design for OneCare backup to *only* backup to CD/DVD.

-steve

terça-feira, 8 de julho de 2008 16:44
    Moderador
  • It did not work for me! I am running XP Home SP3. Right clicking on Windows Live OneCare folder and clicking Properties brings up another window but none of the tabs is Security.

Do I actually have to go into Safe Mode to delete a backup file?

Don

sexta-feira, 5 de setembro de 2008 18:56
  • Thank you, mt_tucker. That's what I needed to make the "Official Procedure" work.Your addition should be included in the Official procedure. It really is too bad that we must "hunt" for a procedure that should have been automatically included in the "How to..." section.
    quinta-feira, 25 de setembro de 2008 01:52
  • YES you must do this in Safe Mode as instructions say.

I think this arduous process is one of the main down sides to WIN ONECAREI have many functionality issues with WIN ONECARE For a product that is supposed to be user friendly I am not impressed. Don’t get me wrong I do believe it has potential, it just needs some serious work on User Interface. The ease of deleting Back Ups is just one example.

quinta-feira, 25 de setembro de 2008 16:19
  • I wonder if this issue isn't my problem. I did back up my files initially with One Care, but then it just took too much time to load the DVD mess with it's config.,etc. so I stopped backing up my system. There isn't anything on it that I can't do without really.
    But yesterday I noticed that after my tune-up that the C drive couldn't  be 'defraged' because there isn't enough space on  my C drive. I have moved almost everything to my D drive that I can and that created a problem by somehow saving all sorts of images, desktop and thumbnails into many folders that I am afraid to delete as they look like they are part of my system files. I did this some time ago.
    But be that as it may I have plenty of room on my D drive so will put that off to another day. I did notice that some of the files I have moved to the D drive, [i.e. documents, pics., etc.] have somehow been added back to the C drive. Not all but some and I wonder if that isn't the One Care Backup problem?

Any assistance would be appreciated and I can tell you that my next PC will definitely be a MAC

I wish some techy out there would write a program that would just fix all the registry problems, the file and maintainence problems and really everything. It could be share-ware but the person would make a mint with ads.

OH, and a tidbit for you all. Don't know if you have experienced this or not but yesterday I noticed a problem with my VAIO OS. Went in to check the Advanced Files and what a mess. Have no idea if One Care was blocking any of the gateways/ports/et al, but I do know it will take me a month to straighten it all out if ever. My Microsoft OS,[if you will], is fine....uh-huh, but my PC's is a mess.It of course doesn't get updated as does the Microsoft.

Anyway, Thanks much,

Anthony

mlb
    sábado, 17 de janeiro de 2009 21:06
  • Your OneCare backups would not be on the C: drive. They are written to the backup destination.

If you moved your Documents and such to D:, but did not change the default locations of the User folders, the C:\users will still exist and will be used by programs on the PC.

You should have no need to do anything with the Advanced firewall settings list of allowed and blocked programs in OneCare, if that is what you are referring to, unless something isn't being given access to the network that you need to allow.

I don't really know what you mean by the VAIO OS. The Vaio is the model name of the Sony PC and the OS on your PC is Windows. OneCare is apparently your chosen protection. What "is a mess" with your PC?

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    segunda-feira, 19 de janeiro de 2009 16:37
    Moderador
  • This is crazy. Nothing works. Access denied ALL THE TIME. Is it actually possible to delete backup files on an external hard drive or not?
    segunda-feira, 15 de junho de 2009 11:22
  • This is crazy. Nothing works. Access denied ALL THE TIME. Is it actually possible to delete backup files on an external hard drive or not?

Yes, it can be done, but it can be a pain.
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/f0281206-ed0b-474c-8541-cc50843e5be2

If nothing in that post works for you, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    segunda-feira, 15 de junho de 2009 12:52
    Moderador
  • It is almost three years after mt_tucker's post here, but his advice worked fine for me under XP Pro SP3.  As I was not using Home Premium, the Properties/Security tab allowed the enabling of full control over all folders and files, without booting to Safe Mode.

After enabling full control for all folders under Windows OneCare Backup,  the deletions proceeded smoothly, unlike at first.

I found I could not initially delete the parent folder, Windows OneCare Backup, until I selected the file, DO_NOT_DELETE.mediaID, in the folder, and used the Security tab to enable full control of this file.  Then the deletion of this file proceeded, and subsequently I could delete the parent folder, so as to erase all evidence of Onecare Backup from the external HD.

My results suggest that anyone experiencing deletion trouble should enable full control of all files and folders to be deleted.

I applaud mt_tucker and appreciate his spade work toward resolving this troublesome problem for many casual users, including myself.

I intend to pursue the method as a solution to those frequent troublesome, undeletable adware cookies.

Jack Martinelli  CompTIA A+,  MS MVP for Win 9X/XP 2001-06

END

quinta-feira, 21 de abril de 2011 03:48