none
Missing Settings for Fonts and Colors RRS feed

• Pergunta

• I want to alter font sizes in Sql Server Management Studio 2017, particularly for query grid results but other settings too, however most of the options that were available in SQL Server Management Studio 2016 are missing. How do I access them? (Tried to submit a screenshot but don't have permissions to do that until my account is verified.)

The only options I get are...

• [All Text Tool Windows]
    • Command Window
    • [Watch, Locals, and Autos Tool Window]
    • Autos Window
    • CallStack Window

Thanks,

Alastair

• Editado Alastair McD terça-feira, 14 de novembro de 2017 09:11
    terça-feira, 14 de novembro de 2017 09:09

Respostas

• Hi Alastair,

>> most of the options that were available in SQL Server Management Studio 2016 are missing. How do I access them?

You can install SSMS 17.2 and then install "SQL Server Management Studio 17.3 upgrade Package(upgrades 17.x to 17.3)", see if it helps.

Another similar thread for your reference can be found here.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Sugerido como Resposta Hannah Yu sexta-feira, 17 de novembro de 2017 10:02
    • Marcado como Resposta Naomi NModerator quarta-feira, 6 de dezembro de 2017 15:59
    quarta-feira, 15 de novembro de 2017 02:44

Todas as Respostas

• I can see it in options. My version is SSMS 17.3

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

terça-feira, 14 de novembro de 2017 09:28
  • I do not see these options. What would prevent them from displaying? My version is also SSMS 17.3

Alastair

• Editado Alastair McD terça-feira, 14 de novembro de 2017 09:54
    terça-feira, 14 de novembro de 2017 09:53
  • You are not alone. I ran into the same issue myself today as I am setting up my new workstation at my client. And I know an MVP colleague who ran into this.

I tried some tweaks, but none with success. The best was to export settings from my old SSMS and import it into the new. This changed the font in the text editor, but no other. (But when you change fonts, the only to have effect directly is the one for the text editor.) However, when I closed SSMS and restarted it, the default font was back.

Interesting enough, when I installed SSMS, I had not yet installed Visual Studio, so we cannot blame interference with the VS installation.

Out of the blue, which antivirus do you have?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

• Sugerido como Resposta Naomi NModerator quarta-feira, 6 de dezembro de 2017 15:59
    terça-feira, 14 de novembro de 2017 22:34
  • Hi Alastair,

>> most of the options that were available in SQL Server Management Studio 2016 are missing. How do I access them?

You can install SSMS 17.2 and then install "SQL Server Management Studio 17.3 upgrade Package(upgrades 17.x to 17.3)", see if it helps.

Another similar thread for your reference can be found here.

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Sugerido como Resposta Hannah Yu sexta-feira, 17 de novembro de 2017 10:02
    • Marcado como Resposta Naomi NModerator quarta-feira, 6 de dezembro de 2017 15:59
    quarta-feira, 15 de novembro de 2017 02:44
  • Thanks Hannah! That sorted it out on my end!

I also made a test with installing the full setup on VM with a decently fresh install of Win10, build 1703, but missing the latest patches. In this install I had no issues with the "Show settings for" dropdown. Go figure.

quarta-feira, 15 de novembro de 2017 20:02
  • Hi Alastair,

Any update? Have you tried the method I mentioned in my earlier reply? Does it work for you?

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support

• Editado Hannah Yu quarta-feira, 29 de novembro de 2017 04:20
    quarta-feira, 29 de novembro de 2017 04:20
  • Did everything mentioned in this thread and still not fixed.  This is what I see:

RS

quarta-feira, 6 de dezembro de 2017 15:47
  • Sounds like some weird bug. I just checked mine and I also have only the mentioned 5 options. I have SQL Server 2014 and SSMS 17.3 installed. I don't want to downgrade and upgrade, I'd rather have it fixed in the next version.

Do you know if Connect item already exists? If so, I'd vote. If not, can you or thread originator please create one?

Thanks.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

quarta-feira, 6 de dezembro de 2017 16:03
    Moderador
  • Still not fixed in 17.7! Utterly unacceptable and inexcusable MS!
    domingo, 20 de maio de 2018 15:40
  • Hi,

in my experience, this bug appears if you install SSMS in english and you have OS and/or VS and/or .Net in other languages.

If I install MSSQL in my standard language (Italian in my case) the problem don't appears.

marc.

domingo, 20 de maio de 2018 15:52
  • in my experience, this bug appears if you install SSMS in english and you have OS and/or VS and/or .Net in other languages.

The only situation when this has occurred to me, the OS was US English. (To be exactly, it was a corporately installed OS, but it has US English when I got the machine.)

More recently, I installed SSMS 17.5 on a machine where the OS langauge was Swedish, and I had no issues. (I later changed the OS language to English, but I believe I installed SSMS before that.)

And knowing Lenni, I would not expect him to use any other language than US English.

So while an interesting theory, I don't really believe in it.

As for the issue not being fixed, Microsoft needs a repro so that they can understand how this happens - it is not that it happens to everyone.

domingo, 20 de maio de 2018 19:29
  • For what it's worth: I installed Windows 10, build 1803 on a new VM. I changed regional settings and keyboard to Swedish, but else stuck with English. I said No to all suggestions about using voice, ads etc. After instllation of OS, I first installed WMWare tools. Next install was SSMS 17.7.
    Guess what? All options for settings fonts were available.

segunda-feira, 21 de maio de 2018 22:05
  • Ditto

quinta-feira, 7 de junho de 2018 15:56
  • The only way I've found to resolve this is by exporting settings from another version.  Go to Tools ... Import and export settings.

I exported the settings from my previous SSMS 2012 version and imported into SSMS 17.7.

I hope that helps someone.

quinta-feira, 7 de junho de 2018 16:44
  • I copied XML from an older install, put in a file and imported only this portion:

<UserSettings>
    <ApplicationIdentity version="10.0"/>
    <ToolsOptions>
    <ToolsOptionsCategory name="Environment" RegisteredName="Environment"/>
    </ToolsOptions>
    <Category name="Environment_Group" RegisteredName="Environment_Group">
    <Category name="Environment_FontsAndColors" Category="{1EDA5DD4-927A-43a7-810E-7FD247D0DA1D}" Package="{DA9FB551-C724-11d0-AE1F-00A0C90FFFC3}" RegisteredName="Environment_FontsAndColors" PackageName="Visual Studio Environment Package">
    <PropertyValue name="Version">2</PropertyValue>
    <FontsAndColors Version="2.0">
    <Categories>
    <Category GUID="{A27B4E24-A735-4D1D-B8E7-9716E1E3D8E0}" FontIsDefault="Yes">
    <Items>
    <Item Name="SQL System Table" Foreground="0x00008000" Background="0x02000000" BoldFont="No"/>
    </Items>
    </Category>
    <Category GUID="{E6784B78-8552-41D7-9630-D1FDEE0DD8E2}" FontName="Lucida Console" FontSize="9" CharSet="1" FontIsDefault="No">
    <Items/>
    </Category>
    </Categories>
    </FontsAndColors>
    </Category>
    </Category>
    </UserSettings>

Fixed the problem for me. But still the setting does not show in the tools. Still an issue in version 17.9

• Editado Rick_1313 sábado, 15 de setembro de 2018 09:15
    sábado, 15 de setembro de 2018 09:07
  • This issue is still unresolved for me. After a _year_, I can't believe this is still an issue.

Hatessunlight

sexta-feira, 16 de novembro de 2018 22:04
  • Hey,

I got that exact problem now (installed SP3 for SQL Server 2014, wanted to fix colors for INFORMATION_SCHEMA views and found this issue)!

Did you solve it and if yes, how?

My blog

My TechNet articles

sexta-feira, 23 de novembro de 2018 03:53
    Moderador
  • I have SSMS 17.9, BTW.

My blog

My TechNet articles

sexta-feira, 23 de novembro de 2018 03:56
    Moderador
  • BTW, was this problem ever reported to MS and if yes, where is the link to it?

I'm wondering if I should try installing SSMS 17.9.1 which most likely will not solve this issue, but claims to solve a few others.

My blog

My TechNet articles

sexta-feira, 23 de novembro de 2018 13:43
    Moderador
  • Erland,

Just wondering if you had received any word from Microsoft whether the fonts issue is a known bug or whether it is going to be resolved soon.

Igor.

terça-feira, 4 de dezembro de 2018 17:41
  • Maybe it is resolved in SSMS 18, which is in preview. I say maybe, because SSMS 18 is built on the VS2017 shell, so maybe that fixes the issue automatically. I am under the impression that Microsoft has not been able to repro this. Although many users report this issue, there also a lot more that do run into it.

terça-feira, 4 de dezembro de 2018 23:01
  • Another +1 with this problem.

Operating System 6.3.14393 (Server 2016 Std)
    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 14.0.17213.0 (17.4)

quinta-feira, 10 de janeiro de 2019 10:53
  • Hi all,

be sure to try the EXCELENT Mihai_Rusnac's  solution!!! First I installed SSMS 17.9.1, then I installed SSMS 18.4 to obtain Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.rll file. Now my SSMS 17.9.1 show Text Editor in combo!!! :-D

I quote:

The solution described in the link below worked for me.

https://blog.greglow.com/2019/04/11/sql-fix-missing-font-options-in-sql-server-management-studio-ssms-17-x/

But I had to also install SSMS 18.1 alongside 17.9.1 to get a copy of this Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.rll file. After following the instructions, all the options in Font and Colors reappeared even without restarting SSMS.

sábado, 23 de novembro de 2019 03:46