Create a new partition on a RAID 5 big disc RRS feed

• Pergunta

• Our company has a Dell Server 2950 with 3 500GB SATA hard discs.

RAID 5 is currently in use and total capacity is now 1 TB.

The 1 TB had already been partitioned into Drive C (12 GB) and Drive D (988 GB).

Both drives have data inside.

I just used the Acronis PartitionExpert to resize the partition for Drive D to 488 GB and make new room for new partition 500 GB.

Up to that moment, everything went very well.

Once I would like to create a new partition using the 500 GB's partition.

Windows went crazy and I tried to set a new drive letter on that new partition.

The Acronis PartitionExpert hanged and also the server.

Before I setup an IIS on Drive D for Web Service,

I can still browse our company web site for some while.

However, I can't since Saturday.

I did everything using VNC and I felt very worry about all the data in Drive D will be lost.

What can I do now?
    domingo, 15 de março de 2009 02:57

Respostas

• Dear Customer,

Thank you for your post.

From the information you provided it is hard to know what caused your problem.
    1. Please send the application event log directly to the forum.

2. Please capture a screenshot and send it to the me(v-tozhan@microsoft.com).

Thank you for your cooperation.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

Tom Zhang – MSFT
    terça-feira, 17 de março de 2009 09:28
    Moderador
  • Janis Wu 表示:
    I just used the Acronis PartitionExpert to resize the partition for Drive D to 488 GB and make new room for new partition 500 GB.

The version you used is Acronis Partition Expert 2003?
    It does not support RAID 5 resizing.

You need a more updated version of it. It is Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0.
    Acronis Disk Director Suite is capable of working with hard disk drives organized in RAID5 array.

I cannot tell that if your partition is dead or not, you better call for their support in order to receover it.

大家一齊探討、學習和研究,謝謝! Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Community Star(TW & HK), MCT, MCSD, MCAD, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCDST, MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
    quinta-feira, 19 de março de 2009 05:49

Todas as Respostas

• does the RAID 5 ( 1TB ) disk be Dynamic Disks ?

seem Acronis does not support Dynamic Disks ...

for safety,  plug a extranal HD and backup the data ( 500GB HD is cheap , baby ) ...

re-partition the disk (suggested to use native windows tools ) and copy it back to the RAID 5 disk .
    segunda-feira, 16 de março de 2009 04:24
  • Dear Customer,

Thank you for your post.

From the information you provided it is hard to know what caused your problem.
    1. Please send the application event log directly to the forum.

2. Please capture a screenshot and send it to the me(v-tozhan@microsoft.com).

Thank you for your cooperation.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

Tom Zhang – MSFT
    terça-feira, 17 de março de 2009 09:28
    Moderador
  • Janis Wu 表示:

The version you used is Acronis Partition Expert 2003?
    It does not support RAID 5 resizing.

You need a more updated version of it. It is Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0.
    Acronis Disk Director Suite is capable of working with hard disk drives organized in RAID5 array.

I cannot tell that if your partition is dead or not, you better call for their support in order to receover it.

大家一齊探討、學習和研究,謝謝! Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Community Star(TW & HK), MCT, MCSD, MCAD, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCDST, MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
    quinta-feira, 19 de março de 2009 05:49