none
Windows Live Messenger 2009 (msnmsgr.exe - No Disk) RRS feed

• Pergunta

• Hi all, I would try the Beta of Windows 7 and I like it from the first moment I see it, but I've a big problem with Windows Live Messenger 2009 (also with Mail, so I think the problem is extended to Windows Live Suite). When I startup my pc, I can use my Messenger without problem, but if I insert a cd or dvd in my drive, then start the problem. In the moment that I eject the cd/dvd, and I try to disconnect from messenger, I have a windows that say: msnmsgr.exe - No Disk (in the title), and it say me that I must insert the cd (however any cd/dvd is good for it). It's so strange, because who or which bind messenger with a cd? Why it ask me the cd? I study my case and this is the assays that I've done:

1. For resolve the problem each time a insert a cd/dvd, I must go to Windows Explorer, right click on device and click eject (it see me the icon of safety remove in the bottom of right)... Why it see me this icon? I don't remove my drive, but only the cd... However after this operation, the system feel more instable...

2. Another way I try is to run WLM2009 in "Vista mode", but in this way I lost the wonderful goods of SuperBar, and this is only a workaround, not the resolution...

3. I try to install only Window 7 (32 bit first, then also 64 bit), update with windows update, and install WLM2009 (only this from Windows Live), but it see the error anyway... So I think it not is a problem with other program...

I've a Dell Inspiron 6400, so the problem must be the drive of the laptop, but it's a remote assumption, because it run well on XP and Vista...

However when I install se7en and I go on defrag, I can see the system partition of 200 Mb, but I talk with other person and have my same bug...

Please help me to resolve my issue, even if I think is a bug of Windows 7 with WLM2009...

P.S.: Sorry for my bad English...

Edit: The complete message is: "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive D:."

quinta-feira, 29 de janeiro de 2009 14:10

Respostas

• aaaaaahhhhhhh thats a heavy work :(

i took the registry of msn when the msn was working fine "CD-ROM drive letter E:" and compared it with the one whit the problem " CD-ROM drive letter D: " and all the difference was pointless

well 

i think at the moment we take the "changing the CD-ROM drive letter anything than D" as a solution 

and we wait till the final release of windows 7 if the problem still we send it to microsoft  

• Marcado como Resposta SadSlash sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 17:20
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 16:59

Todas as Respostas

• Untick show what I'm listening to (or something to that effect).
    quinta-feira, 29 de janeiro de 2009 15:11
  • Jens Peter Karlsen ha detto:

Untick show what I'm listening to (or something to that effect).

Hi, thanks for the reply, but it's just unchecked... However I make other test... I try to change the drive of my notebook (I've got other 3 drive different each other)... All of 3 give me the same problem, but one, in a particular moment no. In this moment when I go on Windows Explorer, where is the drive, is wrote "Cd Drive" instead of "DVD RW Drive"... It's a stupid thing, but with this I've not got errors... So I think there is a problem with the integrated burning program of windows 7, with my drives... Is strange that all of 3 have the same problem, but it happens...

Anyone have my problem? Who don't have this, what have in windows explorer? DVD RW Drive or CD Drive? Thanks anyway...

Edit: I check that I've the problem only with cd/dvd not empty, because I try cd and dvd empty, and I don't have any problem. So, I think we are near the solution...

Anyone have a good idea?

quinta-feira, 29 de janeiro de 2009 17:09
  • Update of the situation: Hi all, I've got a new information... When messenger starts, if I've received new mails, in the main windows it say me that, but if I click with right button on the icon in the superbar, it doesn't show me this, until I insert a cd/dvd in the drive. After this, the messenger seems "unlocked", but if I've insert a cd/dvd not empty, I've got the error described up, if I've insert a cd/dvd empty, nothing error and it work perfect...

Now we have many information for resolve this problem, so please help me :)...

sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 13:54
  • I'm running WinLive 2009 on Windows 7 (with the Plus! add-on) with no problems at all, I've been popping DVDs in and out of my drive with no errors from messenger.
    sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 19:52
  • F4T3 said:

I'm running WinLive 2009 on Windows 7 (with the Plus! add-on) with no problems at all, I've been popping DVDs in and out of my drive with no errors from messenger.

Hi F4T3, I know that it's a personal problem, not a problem of all people... But I want to resolve it because is so fastidious and so strange :p, and I want to be useful for the people that in future could have my same problem ;)...
    sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 21:13
  • woooo hooo  so im not the only one with this error .. i am still trying to figger it out if i do ill post back and i hope you do the same 
    sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 21:36
  • helloz

did you try to disable the autorun for you drive? 

try and see how it works

good luck and have fun

sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 21:48
  • Mrrampage said:

woooo hooo  so im not the only one with this error .. i am still trying to figger it out if i do ill post back and i hope you do the same 

Hi mrrampage, I'm so "happy" that I'm not the only one with this error. I hope that you have had the patience for read my post where I described my try... Of course I'm  continuously try to find a solution, in fact I update the topic everytime I found new information, but if I'm the only, it's hard... Now we are two :), maybe we can become more and more and finally we can fix this problem ;)...

However thank you, and please "spread the voice" (I think is incorrect)... :)

sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 21:49
  • Amrooz said:

helloz

did you try to disable the autorun for you drive? 

try and see how it works

good luck and have fun

Yes, I try this trick, but with no success...

Thanks for the suggestion :)...

sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 21:51
  • can i ask how you turned the autoplay off?
    sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 22:05
  • well its funny .. me and 6 of my friends are testing out 7 and im the only one with the  cd error ... i have tryed turning the auto run off about 4 days ago and its didnt work
    sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 22:12
  • while installing "messenger or mail" , did you have any CD/DvD inside your drive?
    sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 22:17
  • nope ... it first happend when i tryed watching a dvd  once i was done with a dvd i opened the drive and BANG the error began 
    sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 22:18
  • Amrooz said:

while installing , did you have any CD/DvD inside your drive?

I try with a cd/dvd inside and also without, but nothing... I'm happy that now many people want to help us :)...
    sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 22:21
  • first things first .... what type of cd/dvd drive do we all have .. i have a lite-on dvdrw LH-20A1P
    sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 22:24
  • Mrrampage said:

first things first .... what type of cd/dvd drive do we all have .. i have a lite-on dvdrw LH-20A1P

Same I've said on a previous post, I try with three different drive:

1. (NEC) Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540 ATA Device (Dell Firmware 1.03Cc)

2. (NEC) Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5560 ATA Device

3. Philips SDVD8820

Three drives, same result...

sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 22:34
  • well that kills that idea ... i have played with my reg keys and that didnt work ... hmmmmmm (foggs up glasses while thinking )
    sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 22:36
  • Mrrampage said:

well that kills that idea ... i have played with my reg keys and that didnt work ... hmmmmmm (foggs up glasses while thinking )

I've played for disable the autorun also from there, but it didn't work too... Sorry, what means "foggs up glasses while thinking"? :)
    sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 22:40
  • lol it meens im thinking so hard i have steam coming out my ears its fogging up my glasses  lol
    sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 22:41
  • Mrrampage said:

lol it meens im thinking so hard i have steam coming out my ears its fogging up my glasses  lol

Ahahah, it's so funny... We are the only two unlucky people that have this problem and we are gonna to be crazy for this :p...

Please Microsoft, help us, poor unlucky people :)...

sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2009 22:54
  • well thats what i found sadly it's bugged but you can try and tell me the result 

i used the "gpedit.msc" command to find any policy for the removable storage to try to stop the windows from detecting the CD-ROM drive. i found policy name "removable storage" 

you can get access to it by doing the following:

run gpedit.msc  in the toolbar press view >> Filter option >> Filter for word >> type " Removable storage"

then make Filter On form the view menu at the toolbar

then chose user configuration on the left menu >> Administrative Templates >> All Sittings 

you will find in the right side 2 policies with the name "removable storage" make both Enable

then run CMD and type gpupdate /force after it's done 

type MMC in the CMD, and new console will appear press at "File" in the toolbar then press Add/Remove Snap-in" you should have in the list at the left a snap-in with the name " Removable storage"

somehow i couldn't get this snap-in maybe my windows is bugged or something. so i stopped at this step , if you can try to go this far and get this snap-in working then open it and let me know what inside of it , you may try to upload a screen shot for it so i can see what the options we have.

"i made a deep search inside the windows options and policies and i couldn't find anything except this thing and sadly it didn't go farther i hope you can go farther and give me the result"

Good luck and have fun  

sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 00:13
  • Has anyone tried just removing the disc drive and checking to see if the error went away while it's out?  SadSlash has said he tried changing the drives, but what about just leaving the slot empty for a while?
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 00:25
  • lol i have just uninstalled and reinstalled live messenger .. then run the repear  and im not getting the error anymore ... cant be that simple 
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 00:31
  • BIG LOL
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 00:33
  • Amrooz said:

well thats what i found sadly it's bugged but you can try and tell me the result 

i used the "gpedit.msc" command to find any policy for the removable storage to try to stop the windows from detecting the CD-ROM drive. i found policy name "removable storage" 

you can get access to it by doing the following:

run gpedit.msc  in the toolbar press view >> Filter option >> Filter for word >> type " Removable storage"

then make Filter On form the view menu at the toolbar

then chose user configuration on the left menu >> Administrative Templates >> All Sittings 

you will find in the right side 2 policies with the name "removable storage" make both Enable

then run CMD and type gpupdate /force after it's done 

type MMC in the CMD, and new console will appear press at "File" in the toolbar then press Add/Remove Snap-in" you should have in the list at the left a snap-in with the name " Removable storage"

somehow i couldn't get this snap-in maybe my windows is bugged or something. so i stopped at this step , if you can try to go this far and get this snap-in working then open it and let me know what inside of it , you may try to upload a screen shot for it so i can see what the options we have.

"i made a deep search inside the windows options and policies and i couldn't find anything except this thing and sadly it didn't go farther i hope you can go farther and give me the result"

Good luck and have fun  

I've tried what you described, but I can't see removable storage in the mmc too :(... I try also to restart but nothing... Also insert a cd, nothing...

Anyone can try this for see if works? :)

sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 00:54
  • F4T3 said:

Has anyone tried just removing the disc drive and checking to see if the error went away while it's out?  SadSlash has said he tried changing the drives, but what about just leaving the slot empty for a while?

I think that after of this operation, it work properly, but the problem is that it must work properly also with the drive :p... It's a matter of principle :p...
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 00:59
  • Mrrampage said:

lol i have just uninstalled and reinstalled live messenger .. then run the repear  and im not getting the error anymore ... cant be that simple 

Have you try in all the ways? I can't believe that is so simple, and however, the problem is that is also a workaround and I think it can be crash at any time...

In any case I try this way and report here my results... ;)

Edit: I try directly the repair, but it doesn't work... Tomorrow I try your way... Only a question: Did you remove only Windows Live Essentials, or something else? However please do more tests, I'm more doubtful that is so simple when the problem is so "seriuos"... :p

sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 01:02
  • i unstalled  the essentials i left the asstant  and went from there
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 01:37
  • Mrrampage said:

i unstalled  the essentials i left the asstant  and went from there

I just try this way (unistall, reinstall and repair Windows Live Essentials), but not work for me... I think we are near the solution, but we don't losing sight our goal... We must install messenger and we should have any error message from the begin, or we should fix a certain thing that give us the problem, same like the "Amrooz idea"...

Anyone can try "Amrooz idea" o can propose new ideas? :)

However I'm just happy that someone is interested at our problem, thank you all! ;)
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 09:59
  • sounds little stupid but did you try to run the windows live installer in vista compatibility mode ?

uninstall all and go to Program files folder and delete anything left , then make new installation in vista compatibility mode  

sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 10:55
  • Amrooz said:

sounds little stupid but did you try to run the windows live installer in vista compatibility mode ?

uninstall all and go to Program files folder and delete anything left , then make new installation in vista compatibility mode  

I installed in "se7en mode"... Maybe if I installed in vista compatibility mode it can run properly (the program just run properly if it starts in vista mode), but like a just say, it's only a workaround in my opinion, because all the people not install in this way and work properly, so the problem is "deeper", and if I fix messenger problem in this way, I think I can have other problem in future with other program, because I think the problem is at OS level, not only messenger, otherwise when I make all my previuos tests, also with installing only messenger, it could ran properly (even a time :(...)... In fact all the people use messenger in "se7en mode", and don't have problem...

However I try also this way, thanks for the suggestion ;)...

Edit: I try your suggestion but the problem remains... The thing more strange is that in compatibility mode with vista, it works without problem... In se7en mode, it crashes... Is there a way to view the log of windows messenger and the drive? I just view in event viewer, but I can't find anything for now...
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 11:06
  • people who have the problem using laptop? 
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 12:01
  • Amrooz said:

people who have the problem using laptop? 

Yes, I've wrote in the first post... I have a Dell Inspiron 6400... I've already asked, at other people with laptop (different from mine), for verify if they have that problem, and the answer is no...
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 12:03
  • BitLocker is on ? in your system
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 12:05
  • Amrooz said:

BitLocker is on ? in your system

No, it's off...
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 12:06
  • a new suggestion , go to disk management and change your CD-ROM drive letter to E or F 
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 12:10
  • Amrooz ha detto:

a new suggestion , go to disk management and change your CD-ROM drive letter to E or F 

Amrooz, your suggestion is really good, in fact I not see more error message :), but there are two problems:

1. If I return the drive to D:, it gave me the same error, so I want to know if all people who have the drive with D: letter have this error...

2. If I click with right button on the icon of messenger in superbar, if I've received a new mail, under the tasks, sometimes it say me that, sometimes it some me only the link to my email... It change under the cd I've insert (for example, a blank disk or the Se7en Dvd, give me nothing, a disk with personal file, give me the written that show me how much message I've received)...

I forgot to say a thing... I'm an university student, and I study software programming... I'm only at the second year, but I've got since I'm younger, a "programming mind", in the sense that: if I have and error and another pc, in the same condition, not have, I try to find why my pc give me this error :p... I know I'm strange, but I think is the right way to conceive programming and in general the use of pc... In the past I have a problem with Google Earth and my Microsoft mouse (when I use the wheel, I can only go forward, or if I inverted, backward), and this problem there isn't with a 5€ mouse, so I've reported to Microsoft this problem... After two days they call me, ask me for many information and then they reported all to Microsft America... So, after three days, Google update Google Earth, and surprise, the bug was revolved :D... For this reason I'm confident that we can resolve this (perhaps with Microsoft help... :p)

However I think now we are really on the right way to find the bug, or simple the problem, that we have... ;)
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 12:47
  • here is where i found about this suggestion

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/330137

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/163633

" This problem occurs when the PATH statement in the Autoexec.bat file, Windows NT System Environment Variables, or User Environment Variables for <user name> refers to a floppy disk drive or CD-ROM drive. 

If the Autoexec.bat file refers to a floppy disk or CD-ROM drive, Windows NT 4.0 does not display the error when you log on, but when you run applications."

but this location doesn't exist in windows 7 registry " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\SETUP\WinntPath "

but if you go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\SETUP " you should find some registry keys i uploaded a screen shot of mine i guess you need to synchronize the values with mine if there is a change

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/3453/15675467sz5.jpg 

sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 13:06
  • SadSlash said:
    I forgot to say a thing... I'm an university student, and I study software programming... I'm only at the second year, but I've got since I'm younger, a "programming mind", in the sense that: if I have and error and another pc, in the same condition, not have, I try to find why my pc give me this error :p... I know I'm strange, but I think is the right way to conceive programming and in general the use of pc... In the past I have a problem with Google Earth and my Microsoft mouse (when I use the wheel, I can only go forward, or if I inverted, backward), and this problem there isn't with a 5€ mouse, so I've reported to Microsoft this problem... After two days they call me, ask me for many information and then they reported all to Microsft America... So, after three days, Google update Google Earth, and surprise, the bug was revolved :D... For this reason I'm confident that we can resolve this (perhaps with Microsoft help... :p)

i am a  Microsoft Certified System Engineer but actually i am more effective when my hands on the PC that has the problem. 

sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 13:15
  • 1. If I return the drive to D:, it gave me the same error, so I want to know if all people who have the drive with D: letter have this error...

2. If I click with right button on the icon of messenger in superbar, if I've received a new mail, under the tasks, sometimes it say me that, sometimes it some me only the link to my email... It change under the cd I've insert (for example, a blank disk or the Se7en Dvd, give me nothing, a disk with personal file, give me the written that show me how much message I've received)...

for No 1 . just keep the CD-ROM drive letter away from D:

for No 2 . i know you are bored from "Installing /Uninstalling" the Live messenger but make one last try while your CD-ROM drive is not D:

sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 13:25
  • Amrooz said:

SadSlash said:

i am a  Microsoft Certified System Engineer but actually i am more effective when my hands on the PC that has the problem. 

The same thing happens to me when I must repair a pc for my friend... But strangely, when I must fix a problem of mine, I've always more, more problems :p
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 13:38
  • Amrooz said:

here is where i found about this suggestion

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/330137

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/163633

" This problem occurs when the PATH statement in the Autoexec.bat file, Windows NT System Environment Variables, or User Environment Variables for <user name> refers to a floppy disk drive or CD-ROM drive. 

If the Autoexec.bat file refers to a floppy disk or CD-ROM drive, Windows NT 4.0 does not display the error when you log on, but when you run applications."

but this location doesn't exist in windows 7 registry " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\SETUP\WinntPath "

but if you go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\SETUP " you should find some registry keys i uploaded a screen shot of mine i guess you need to synchronize the values with mine if there is a change

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/3453/15675467sz5.jpg 

Unfortunately my registry is equal to your... However I try the resolution of the first link (insert a dvd at the start of pc), but nothing...
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 14:49
  • Amrooz said:
    1. If I return the drive to D:, it gave me the same error, so I want to know if all people who have the drive with D: letter have this error...

for No 1 . just keep the CD-ROM drive letter away from D:

for No 2 . i know you are bored from "Installing /Uninstalling" the Live messenger but make one last try while your CD-ROM drive is not D:

1. This thing is feasible, but I want to know if your cd/dvd drive has D letter, or another...

2. Well, I try this and no problem... This is the results of my test:

Before remove:

a. Registry is equal, nothing change and not working...

b. Cd at the start, not working...

c. Change the letter (D: in F:), working...

d. After the change of the drive, I try to connect an external hd, its letter is d:, when I remove, continue to working...

After remove and installation (with change letter):

e. If the letter remains F:, working...

f. If I change in D:, not working...

Test with virtual drive on "D:" and an image mounted:

g. PowerISO 4.3 (the drive on Windows Explorer is written "CD Drive", working...

h. Slysoft Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.2.2 Beta (the drive on Windows on Windows Explorer is written "DB-ROM Drive"), not working...

This is my result... What you suggest me? I don't want to surrender, especially because if we don't fix this problem now, I'm afraid that the problem could present in future (with RC or final Se7en)...

However thank you for the patience and for the effort you put in this situation ;) :)...

sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 15:04
  • i have my CD-ROM drive is E never been D before " i am using a Desktop not laptop" 

if everything working good while your CD-ROM not D then keep it away from this letter and go on 

i am still working around this problem trying to find the real cause of it , i guess the windows is using the drive D for something what is it i am still searching

the last thing i found is there is a temp folder on my D drive name "msdownld.tmp" i found an entry in the registry for it   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Active Setup Temp Folders

there is a key name Folder i edited it from C:\Windows\msdownld.tmp|?:\msdownld.tmp

into C:\Windows\msdownld.tmp

and i deleted D:\msdownld.tmp and now i will make restart to see what will happen 

sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 15:18
  • Amrooz said:

i have my CD-ROM drive is E never been D before " i am using a Desktop not laptop" 

if everything working good while your CD-ROM not D then keep it away from this letter and go on 

i am still working around this problem trying to find the real cause of it , i guess the windows is using the drive D for something what is it i am still searching

the last thing i found is there is a temp folder on my D drive name "msdownld.tmp" i found an entry in the registry for it   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Active Setup Temp Folders

there is a key name Folder i edited it from C:\Windows\msdownld.tmp|?:\msdownld.tmp

into C:\Windows\msdownld.tmp

and i deleted D:\msdownld.tmp and now i will make restart to see what will happen 

restarted and everything going fine no problems caused of changing the entry

you may try to do same and reboot and make your CD-ROM drive into D and check it out

sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 15:30
  • i made my CD-ROM into letter D and now i have the problem :D hehe

i think now with my hands on the problem i can do better 

wish me luck trying to find out 

sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 15:34
  • Amrooz said:

i made my CD-ROM into letter D and now i have the problem :D hehe

i think now with my hands on the problem i can do better 

wish me luck trying to find out 

:D I hope you can resolve this "bug"... Is so nasty (and so strange), right? :p So I really wish you do better than me, I wait for your news... If there is other test that I do, please write me... I'm 100% available...
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 15:46
  • this is my the 1st result of my search after having the problem

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms648774(VS.85).aspx

sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 15:50
  • Amrooz said:

this is my the 1st result of my search after having the problem

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms648774(VS.85).aspx

Mmm... Sincerely, my English is not enough good for understand this technical page... However I hope it can be useful... ;)
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 16:11
  • aaaaaahhhhhhh thats a heavy work :(

i took the registry of msn when the msn was working fine "CD-ROM drive letter E:" and compared it with the one whit the problem " CD-ROM drive letter D: " and all the difference was pointless

well 

i think at the moment we take the "changing the CD-ROM drive letter anything than D" as a solution 

and we wait till the final release of windows 7 if the problem still we send it to microsoft  

• Marcado como Resposta SadSlash sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 17:20
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 16:59
  • Amrooz said:

aaaaaahhhhhhh thats a heavy work :(

well 

and we wait til the final release of windows 7 if the problem still we send it to microsoft  

Mmm, I also think that for now it's the only solution, but I only ask you the last thing... Can you report this discussion to the "Windows 7 Team"? I hope that they really fix this problem before the RC or, at least, the Final Release, because it's not possible that we have this problem, and other people that I've asked no (even if they have tested properly). The problem isn't of the drive or anything similar, but "D letter for a drive", because also with a virtual drive (if the virtual drive have D letter) we've this problem too... However the difference with virtual clonedrive to poweriso and ultraiso is that in Windows Explorer it have the name "BD-ROM Drive" (normally with phisical drive I've CD Drive), and poweriso and ultraiso have "CD Drive". Also virtual clonedrive have the "autorun options" that show the available operations, while poweriso and ultraiso no. But we have tried to disable autorun and it doesn't work. However the black CD/DVD works... It's so strange, but there are all the information that we have. I hope that Microsoft can fix this bug...

Amrooz, thank you for all the help that you gave to me... If you have news, please contact me... For now, the solution is "changing the CD-ROM drive letter anything than D" ;) :D...
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 17:19
  • i already sent a feedback to microsoft and waiting for answer 

you are more than welcome :D good luck and have fun :D

sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 17:23
  • hey guys ... i see you have got it fixed yet ........... it weird i do the littlest thing and mine works fine ... keep trying .. and i sent a error report off too
    sábado, 31 de janeiro de 2009 19:12
  • Hi Amrooz, I've tested new beta of Windows 7 (build 7022), and the bug was fixed! I don't believe when I insert cd and then I eject it, no error, nothing... And the bug of new mail visible on the right-click on the icon on super bar was fixed too (sorry, I've tested again and this bug remains). Microsoft did a good word :)...
    However, I found that also 2 "bugs" are still present:
    1. Defrag bug: when you go on defrag option, the system partition of 200 mb (restore partition created by seven itself), are still visible...
    http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=defragcz4.jpg
    2. Property bug: this bug was present also in Vista... It's a little bit difficult to explain, so I post you same images:
    http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=propertyad0.jpg
    http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=property2sf8.jpg
    http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=property3et5.jpg
    I hope I've understand what I mean and, if the result of your segnalation is this (wlm2009 bug fixed :D), please, report also these...
    Thank you for all...

EDIT: Also another bug... When you put an icon in "Games", if you remain with the mouse cursor on it, windows explorer crashes... In build 7000 I remember it doesn't happens.... :)
    terça-feira, 10 de fevereiro de 2009 10:05
  • SadSlash said:

Hi all, I would try the Beta of Windows 7 and I like it from the first moment I see it, but I've a big problem with Windows Live Messenger 2009 (also with Mail, so I think the problem is extended to Windows Live Suite). When I startup my pc, I can use my Messenger without problem, but if I insert a cd or dvd in my drive, then start the problem. In the moment that I eject the cd/dvd, and I try to disconnect from messenger, I have a windows that say: msnmsgr.exe - No Disk (in the title), and it say me that I must insert the cd (however any cd/dvd is good for it). It's so strange, because who or which bind messenger with a cd? Why it ask me the cd? I study my case and this is the assays that I've done:

1. For resolve the problem each time a insert a cd/dvd, I must go to Windows Explorer, right click on device and click eject (it see me the icon of safety remove in the bottom of right)... Why it see me this icon? I don't remove my drive, but only the cd... However after this operation, the system feel more instable...

2. Another way I try is to run WLM2009 in "Vista mode", but in this way I lost the wonderful goods of SuperBar, and this is only a workaround, not the resolution...

3. I try to install only Window 7 (32 bit first, then also 64 bit), update with windows update, and install WLM2009 (only this from Windows Live), but it see the error anyway... So I think it not is a problem with other program...

I've a Dell Inspiron 6400, so the problem must be the drive of the laptop, but it's a remote assumption, because it run well on XP and Vista...

However when I install se7en and I go on defrag, I can see the system partition of 200 Mb, but I talk with other person and have my same bug...

Please help me to resolve my issue, even if I think is a bug of Windows 7 with WLM2009...

Edit: The complete message is: "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive D:."

Sounds like the same sort of problem that I had - see Unable to read disk
    terça-feira, 17 de fevereiro de 2009 01:25
  • Mogojohn said:

SadSlash said:

Hi all, I would try the Beta of Windows 7 and I like it from the first moment I see it, but I've a big problem with Windows Live Messenger 2009 (also with Mail, so I think the problem is extended to Windows Live Suite). When I startup my pc, I can use my Messenger without problem, but if I insert a cd or dvd in my drive, then start the problem. In the moment that I eject the cd/dvd, and I try to disconnect from messenger, I have a windows that say: msnmsgr.exe - No Disk (in the title), and it say me that I must insert the cd (however any cd/dvd is good for it). It's so strange, because who or which bind messenger with a cd? Why it ask me the cd? I study my case and this is the assays that I've done:

Sounds like the same sort of problem that I had - see Unable to read disk

Yes, I read your post and I think is similar, but what drive letter has your drive? And also, how your drive is seen on Windows Explorer (if you read my post, when my disk is DVD RW Drive I have this problem, when is CD Drive, no...)...
    Also I suggest you to try if this issue is also present in Windows 7 build 7022 (you can find on internet)... I have no more this problem, but in this build there are other little bug :D...

terça-feira, 17 de fevereiro de 2009 15:45
  • It was an IOMEGA Zip drive D:

I am a public beta tester so do not have access to W7 build 7022.  I was advised against downloading W7 from other sources on the internet.
    quarta-feira, 18 de fevereiro de 2009 10:26
  • Mogojohn ha detto:

It was an IOMEGA Zip drive D:

I am a public beta tester so do not have access to W7 build 7022.  I was advised against downloading W7 from other sources on the internet.

I've downloaded the new build only for the test this trouble and for report other bug. After few days I return to our version (for public beta tester, I'm too :p...)... However if you want to resolve your problem, change the drive letter from D: to another (for example E or F)... In build 7000 this is the only way...
    quarta-feira, 18 de fevereiro de 2009 11:03
  • I got around the problem by disabling D: in device manager (I don't use the zip drive anyway).
    quarta-feira, 18 de fevereiro de 2009 19:38
  • Well, the problem is occuring with Vista Ultimate x64 and Live Messenger Version 2009 build 14.0.8064.206.  Only occurred after I forced a umount on a memory stick that Windows refused to unmount.  Silly Windows.  Kept telling me that it was still being used.  tsk tsk.  explorer.exe is the culprit, I know that much, but killing explorer.exe and restarting it screws other things and I didn't feel like a reboot.  You know, if Microsoft put on a great GUI front end to something like freeBSD, the world would be a better place. 

I doubt the problem is due to Windows 7, since I'm not running it and I have the same problem.  The common application is live messenger itself.  I haven't figured out a fix yet, but in reality I can't be too bothered with it.  There are plenty of other msn clients out there that run properly.  ;-)

Dave
    segunda-feira, 27 de abril de 2009 11:15
  • OK - some initial testing - I have FireFox as my default browser.  I made IE my default and tested adn no problems.  I made FireFox the default again, problem returns.  I did test with IE several times, it did not fail once.  I tested with Opera as my default browser, no issues.  I tested it with Google Chrome, no issues.  Safari, no issues either (I do a bit of web design for my own pleasure, hence having lots of browsers on my system lol.  I'm not including VMs where I have plenty more from UNIX style systems).  After all of this, I re-enabled FireFox and voila, problem comes back.  Can anyone replicate this on their systems - if you have FireFox as your default, set IE as the default, then test. 

I should note that my problem only occurs when I try and click on the check hotmail emails button in Live Messenger. 

I have no funny business in disk manager, no hidden drives, no drive re-arrangement etc.  I haven't tried uninstall/reinstall.  I could try a new user account and see what that does, that'd show it's some sort of user corruption I'd guess. 

Dave
    segunda-feira, 27 de abril de 2009 11:44
  • OK - follow up post.  New user account did not exhibit the problems (with administrative rights).  When I logged back in as my normal user, I re-tested, same problem.  I then turned off the "start live messenger automatically when Windows starts" option in live messenger, logged back out, and then back in and this time it worked without issue.  I logged back off and on, just to make sure, still no problems.  I then re-enabled the automatically start option etc, logged off and back on and re-tested, still behaving itself.  I then rebooted the PC and re-tested, since logging off doesn't really restart all the hardware from a kernel perspective, and it's still behaving.  I've now opened the dvd burner tray and closed it - tested live messenger again and it's still behaving itself.  Next test, insert a DVD into the drive and re-tested, still working OK.

As far as I'm concerned, problem solved.  It might have been a simple reboot that fixed it, not sure.  Could be a combination of things. 

Let me know if this helps you. 

Dave
    segunda-feira, 27 de abril de 2009 12:00