Simultaneous RDP Users - Server 2012 Essentials RRS feed

• السؤال

• Hi, how many concurrent RDP users can I have logged into a Server 2012 Essentials instance? I know previous versions of SBS have allowed two, but a thread here suggests only one can login to the 2012 Essentials version.

Thanks

28/صفر/1434 10:11 م

الإجابات

• For a direct connection to the server, Terminal Services is installed in "Remote Desktop for Administration" mode. This allows two standard connections to the server via Remote Desktop, plus one connection to the server's console, which could be a physical login or a login to session 0 via RDP. The dashboard is, I believe, still single-instanced and allows only one connection at a time.

Note, however, that using Remote Desktop to connect to your server for anything except administrative use is a violation of the EULA. If you need to set up a Remote Desktop server, you would be better off with a different starting point.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة Ken Warren 29/صفر/1434 02:12 ص
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Clarence Zhang 12/ربيع الأول/1434 05:52 ص
    29/صفر/1434 02:11 ص

جميع الردود

• For a direct connection to the server, Terminal Services is installed in "Remote Desktop for Administration" mode. This allows two standard connections to the server via Remote Desktop, plus one connection to the server's console, which could be a physical login or a login to session 0 via RDP. The dashboard is, I believe, still single-instanced and allows only one connection at a time.

Note, however, that using Remote Desktop to connect to your server for anything except administrative use is a violation of the EULA. If you need to set up a Remote Desktop server, you would be better off with a different starting point.

• تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة Ken Warren 29/صفر/1434 02:12 ص
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Clarence Zhang 12/ربيع الأول/1434 05:52 ص
    29/صفر/1434 02:11 ص

Hi,

I'm a bit confused. The description of server 2012 essentials says "25 users limit". So why can't I use more than 2 connections? That seems a little bogus.

Why it says 25 users? I have to upgrade a system in a very small company with no budget for IT. The idea is to install the accounting software on the server and let 3 or 4 users access it at the same time via RDP. They don't have money for the WS 2012 standard (which costs more than 1000€, thats 3 times the cost of the server hardware), so I gave the idea of the essentials.

Are you saying that I cant use a server with 25 users limit be accessed by 4 users maximum? Wow, MS marketing at it's best.

So the user limit in WS 2012 Essentials is 2, not 25. That seems very strange, pure false advertising I think.

Well, the company must continue with their old server with WS 2003 standart since Microsoft doesn't seem provide alternatives to small businesses.

05/رمضان/1434 12:20 ص
  • It isn't bogus, disingenuous, false advertising, or even marketing spin. It is a matter of understanding the product.

Think of it this way: There are some sports motorcycles out there that have horsepower ratings that rival some fairly hefty pickup trucks. Neither one is "falsely" advertising their horsepower. But they put that to two very different uses. One, for speed. The other...well...let's just say I don't think many people would recommend towing a horse-trailer behind a motorcycle.

Essentials 2012 *absolutely* supports 25 users. But look at how many roles Windows Server 2012 can be used as! Can Essentials 2012 be used as a file server for 25 users? Absolutely. Can 25 users, with 25 desktops or laptops, connect to Essentials *simultaneously* to access files stored on a SMB share?  YES.

Can 25 users access a shared printer queue on Essentials? YES. Can the essentials client backup be used to back up machines for 25 users? YES. ...I can go on and on...

For the roles that Essentials supports, Essentials supports 25 users. The "Remote Desktop Services" role is *not* supported on Essentials. Nowhere will you find a document that says Essentials supports 25 users with the RDS role. In fact, Microsoft clearly states in several places (on TechNet, on  FAQ pages, etc) that the RDS role is not supported on Essentials *AT ALL!* So no, they did not hide this fact. They did not try to use marketing spin. In this instance, they are very up front.

Like any product, you must understand what the product is and what its limitations are. If you bought a motorcycle to haul a boat simply because you read the HP...that isn't the motorcycle manufacturer's fault. Neither is it Microsoft's fault that some people don't bother to read about Essentials.

It does support 25 users. It does NOT support the RDS role. Not for 25. Not even for 2. Or even 1. It *allows* remote connections *for administrative purposes.* But that is not the same as a true RDS setup, and as Ken said, allowing end users to use even those 2 connections is against the license agreement. Full stop.

05/رمضان/1434 02:06 ص
  • Hi!

Have I understood correctly that when using Windows Server 2012 Essentials users have to open Remote Desktop connections to the server via Remote Web Access -portal? If yes, then I have few questions...

1. Is there any limitations with the connection itself (when compared to "normal" Remote Desktop connection)?
    2. How many concurrent users can be connected to the server remotely via Remote Web Access -portal, 25?
    3. Is it possible that Remote Web Access -portal URL is same when accessing inside company network and when access from outside company network?

As a background information... I have small client who have 14 users in three different cities. They have some software which should be installed on the server and used via Remote Desktop by all users. Some users work from the office and some users work remotely from home etc. Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Toni Rantanen
    Triuvare Oy
    www.triuvare.fi

• تم التحرير بواسطة Toni Rantanen 03/ذو القعدة/1434 11:01 ص
    03/ذو القعدة/1434 11:00 ص
  • Toni,

Based on your description in your "background information" you want to set up a remote desktop services (RDS) server. Essentials *cannot* be used as an RDS server. Even with the remote web access portal.

So the answers to your questions as asked are as follows:

"users have to open Remote Desktop connections to the server via Remote Web Access -portal?"

NO. Users should *not* be connecting to the server via RDP. At all. Ever. The connectoins that are allowed to the server are for administrators, and that can be done via RWA or can be done via standard RDP. RWA is not "required" to connect.

"Is there any limitations with the connection itself (when compared to "normal" Remote Desktop connection)?"

Yes. The connections allowed are for performing administration tasks on the server. It is not for running client/server applications. That is a significant restriction and applies to both RWA and RDP connections to the Essentials server. Connecting to another RDS server through RWA does *not* have that restriction as long as you have properly licensed the RDS server with appropriate CALs. The RWA app that runs RDP is an active-X control that calls the same code that the native RDP app calls, so the functionality is very similar. Almost identical.

"How many concurrent users can be connected to the server remotely via Remote Web Access -portal, 25?"

No, not 25. *TWO.* And *ONLY* for administration purposes. End users should not be connecting to the Essentials server itself. Not via RWA, and not via RDP.

"Is it possible that Remote Web Access -portal URL is same when accessing inside company network and when access from outside company network?"

Yes, this is set up by default as long as you run the setup wizards. The external URL works internally as well because a split-DNS zone is created by default.

-Cliff

• تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة Toni Rantanen 06/ذو القعدة/1434 03:19 م
    03/ذو القعدة/1434 10:37 م
  • Hi,

Thanks Cliff for your very clear answers!

Best regards,

Toni

www.triuvare.fi

06/ذو القعدة/1434 03:19 م
  • First off call the microsoft store and ask any sales associate this question. Nobody will tell you only two users are allowed for remote connection. This is why M$ is losing gain in the server world. 
    06/ذو القعدة/1434 09:09 م
  • Give me a break! You are going to pull a "Microsoft Store" as a reason?  Let me tell you (true story) that one day, while browsing an Apple store near the iPad launch, I had a "sales" person approach me and after having a casual, pleasant conversation, tried to get me to buy the iPad on the spot. I told him I wasn't sure yet, wanted to investigate options, had some concerns because I knew it wasn't compatible with my current media investment....etc etc...

After asking some probing questions, he tried to convince me that this new iPad would play my existing library of music just fine. Now mind you, my existing library is a rather eclectic compilation of DRM protected WMA (from back in the day when Napster went subscription but didn't sell unlocked MP3s yet), lossless WMA that I have ripped over the last 10 or so years, and some service subscription music that I don't particularly feel the need to buy, but is handy to have in playlists as long as I am subscribing. ...basically, ALL things that will NOT play on an iPad.

Sales reps are often minimally informed. My "general" experience with the Microsoft store is that they will say "I don't know." So you are technically right, you can call the store and ask that question and they won't give you the answer you seek. Hopefully they won't actively mislead you though (and if they do, file a complaint with the store manager!) Unlike my Apple experience. But the point is that sales reps are minimally qualified. If they were top-shelf, they'd not be working in a retail store. So c'mon, that is weak.

There is a tipping point where, especially for a business purchase, you are responsible for doing *some* minimal market research. And the RDS limitation is pretty clear. The server segment that Microsoft has targeted to small businesses (SBS 4.0, SBS 4.5, SBS 2000, SBS 2003, SBS 2008, SBS 2011 Standard, SBS 2011 Essentials, and 2012 Essentials have *all* had the "no RDS" restriction. That is 15 *years* that this has existed. And has not been buried, misrepresented, or is some dark secret only available to a select few. All you need to do is read the product literature. Or...*gasp* ASK, like the OP and like Toni did. 

But blaming MS because of failed due diligence and a bad decision on nobody else's part? Yeah, you can tell how far my sympathy goes. 

06/ذو القعدة/1434 10:01 م

Hi,

I'm a bit confused. The description of server 2012 essentials says "25 users limit". So why can't I use more than 2 connections? That seems a little bogus.

Why it says 25 users? I have to upgrade a system in a very small company with no budget for IT. The idea is to install the accounting software on the server and let 3 or 4 users access it at the same time via RDP. They don't have money for the WS 2012 standard (which costs more than 1000€, thats 3 times the cost of the server hardware), so I gave the idea of the essentials.

Are you saying that I cant use a server with 25 users limit be accessed by 4 users maximum? Wow, MS marketing at it's best.

So the user limit in WS 2012 Essentials is 2, not 25. That seems very strange, pure false advertising I think.

Well, the company must continue with their old server with WS 2003 standart since Microsoft doesn't seem provide alternatives to small businesses.

Perhaps if you guys don't have the cash you need to be more flexible, You could look at hiring remote desktop solutions which wouldn't break the bank. Or run the software locally and  use smb shares to share the data. They could remote into their own pcs by using different ports through RDP. That would be a cost effective solution.
    26/جمادى الأولى/1435 08:50 ص
  • Pasting a link to technet microsoft

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn629457(v=ws.11).aspx

Scroll to section:

Solution design for providing secure access to data when users are outside the network.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials (appropriate for use for up to 25 users and 50 devices) and the Standard and Datacenter editions of Windows Server 2012 R2 with the Windows Server Essentials Experience role installed (appropriate for use for up to 100 users and 200 devices) provide a solution for small to midsize business to enable users to easily and securely access company data through a variety of Internet-connected devices.

Isn't this clearly misleading at BEST or deceptive at worst?? 

29/رمضان/1437 03:00 ص
  • No problems with that description as it is accurate

Grey

29/رمضان/1437 01:08 م
  • Hi, you confusing the term "Users" and "Remote Desktop Users" server essentials provides 25 users, that is user accounts, this accounts are so you can sing in to the domain server via active directory and validate the workstation. Remote desktop users, are limited to 2, and this are accounts to login to the server and use the server just like if you where in front of it. Usually remote desktop, like the work implies are for users who are in a remote location, like at home and will like to work on a document that is on the server.

AM

03/رجب/1438 02:29 م