none
Azure IaaS node template with Add to domain option not working RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2016 hybrid cluster with headnode on premise. I have created a node template with add to domain option succesfully. our company's AD tenant is already available in Azure. 

Azure subnet is visible

When I create a new node using this template, i get the following error. What additional steps are to be taken to make this work? Azure subnet is visible from on-prem computers and vice versa. 

The operation on the Azure node XX-YYHPC1000 finished with status 'Failed', error details:
    {"code":"DeploymentFailed","message":"At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please list deployment operations for details. Please see https://aka.
    ms/arm-debug for usage details.","details":[{"code":"Conflict","message":"{\r\n  \"status\": \"Failed\",\r\n  \"error\": {\r\n    \"code\": \"ResourceDeploymentFailure\",\r\n    \"message\": \"The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 
    'Failed'.\",\r\n    \"details\": [\r\n      {\r\n        \"code\": \"VMExtensionProvisioningError\",\r\n        \"message\": \"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'configHpcComputeNode'. Error message: \\\"DSC Configuration 'ConfigHpcNode' 
    completed with error(s). Following are the first few: PowerShell DSC resource MSFT_xWaitForADDomain  failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: Domain 'a.b.com' NOT found after 30 attempts.  The SendConfigurationApply 
    function did not succeed.\\\".\"\r\n      }\r\n    ]\r\n  }\r\n}"}]}

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 6:12 PM

All replies

• Looks like the domain controller for a.b.com cannot be found, so the VM cannot join the domain.

Is there a site-to-site VPN or ExpressRoute between your company's on-premise networking and Azure virtual network in which you want to deploy the IaaS compute nodes?

Thursday, March 28, 2019 5:42 AM
  • Yes there is a site-to-site between our on-prem and Azure. Could this be a DNS problem - If so, anyway to provide the "DNS" to HPC so it can be used during provisioning of IaaS VMs?
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 1:10 PM
  • The DNS servers for the IaaS VMs are auto-fetched from the DNS setting for the virtual network, you may need to correctly set the DNS servers on the virtual network.
    Friday, March 29, 2019 2:16 AM
  • Hi SriRam,

Is this resolved? Can you please share the solution here. I'm also facing the same Issue while adding the Node with IAAs Template .

Thanks

Mahesh

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 10:34 AM
  • Hi Maheshkkalva,

What's the error message you have? Is it exactly the same? Have you check the DNS/AD configurations in the vNet?

Regards,

Yutong Sun

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 9:39 AM