none
MS-MPI Installation failed with error code 4317. RRS feed

• Question

• While downloading MS-MPI v10.1.2 (msmpisetup.exe and msmpisdk.msi from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=100593 )

I was unable to execute msmpisetup.exe, a dialog box appears showin:

"MS-MPI Installation failed with error code 4317. The currently intalled version can not be upgraded.
    It must be manually uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs before this installation can continue".

When entering to Control Panel delete-replace-repair tool I'm unable to find the MS-MPI Files.
    I already searched for mspi.dll , mpiexec.exe and, smpd.exe . This files' location are C:\Windows\System32\msmpi.dll , C:\Program Files\Microsoft HPC Pack 2008 R2\Bin\mpiexec.exe , C:\Program Files\Microsoft HPC Pack 2008 R2\Bin\smpd.exe , respectively.

Finally, I didn't have any troubles while running msmpisdk.msi.

My question is: how can I execute msmpisetup.exe, without any trouble?

Monday, June 1, 2020 4:07 PM

All replies

• I just did a [first time] download and install of 10.1.12.498.18 and it worked fine and I have since built a test program in VS2019 and ran it from command line.

Assuming you are using Windows 10 then go to "Apps & Features" from "All Settings" and in the search box (in right-hand screen) type "mpi". On my system this shows both Microsoft MPI and Microsoft MPI SDK as separate installs. I believe the SDK gets installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\MPI by default.

Does this help?

Saturday, July 18, 2020 8:55 PM
  • Hi,

In HPC Pack 2008 R2, MS-MPI is part of HPC Pack, you are not able to upgrade MS-MPI only without upgrading other HPC Pack components.
    The decoupling of HPC Pack and MS-MPI was done in HPC Pack 2012 R2.

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 8:20 AM