Delete Mesh SkyDrive files RRS feed

• Question

• When I initially tested Mesh I was not aware of how to only sync PC to PC without the Skydrive.  I subsequently hit the 5 GB Mesh limit and want to now only do PC to PC.  How can I delete the files that are currently on my SkyDrive account.  I have not found a way to address this space directly.  Also, is there a limit of total file space when synching only PC to PC.  I used Live Sync for quite awhile and did not appear to have an limitations.
    John A
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:41 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

You're talking about the new version of Mesh, correct? Assuming that's the case, you can try the following:

1. Go to devices.live.com, and sign in with your Windows Live ID
    2. Select the "View synced folders" link in the navigation bar near the top left of the page
    3. Select a folder that you are syncing with SkyDrive synced storage
    4. After selecting the folder, you should be able to see its contents. Click the "Select devices" link near the top left of the page, in the navigation bar.
    5. Uncheck "SkyDrive synced storage" from the list.
    6. Check off any computers that you want to sync the folder on directly/via P2P, and hit the save button at the bottom of the page.

You can do this for each folder that you have syncing with the cloud, to free up your quota.

To answer your second question re: size limit when syncing P2P -- the only limit on file sizes is that no single file can be larger than 50 GB.

Hopefully that information helps. In the future, you can try posting on the Windows Live forums (link) for help with Mesh 2011.

Cheers,

Kacey

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:10 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

You're talking about the new version of Mesh, correct? Assuming that's the case, you can try the following:

1. Go to devices.live.com, and sign in with your Windows Live ID
    2. Select the "View synced folders" link in the navigation bar near the top left of the page
    3. Select a folder that you are syncing with SkyDrive synced storage
    4. After selecting the folder, you should be able to see its contents. Click the "Select devices" link near the top left of the page, in the navigation bar.
    5. Uncheck "SkyDrive synced storage" from the list.
    6. Check off any computers that you want to sync the folder on directly/via P2P, and hit the save button at the bottom of the page.

You can do this for each folder that you have syncing with the cloud, to free up your quota.

To answer your second question re: size limit when syncing P2P -- the only limit on file sizes is that no single file can be larger than 50 GB.

Hopefully that information helps. In the future, you can try posting on the Windows Live forums (link) for help with Mesh 2011.

Cheers,

Kacey

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:10 PM
  •  

Since you are referring to Windows Live Mesh, not Live Mesh - www.mesh.com, you are in the wrong forum.

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Steve,

Well I'll be.  One more time Microsoft tries to confuse the user.  From the info I received, Sync was dead and I had to go to Mesh.  Now there is a Live Sync?  Somehow I would have thought Live Mesh would have been the correct forum.  Now I have to go and "research" what is the difference between Windows Live Mesh and Live Mesh.  I know you are a MVP and not involved in MS policies, but this is pretty interesting.  I'm in Real Estate and have put a lot of my colleagues on Sync.  It was a great product.  Now, I'm going to have to show each one how to move to Mesh (whatever one I need).  MS should have just moved everyone to Mesh with a simple option (do you also want to save a copy in the Cloud) for any of your synced folders.  The 5GB limit is going to bite a lot of people who didn't have that limitation on Sync.  Oh, and the inability of using with XP is a real issue!! This is probably going to stop several of my colleagues from being able to continue to use a great MS product.

Sorry for the discourse, and I will try and "find" the proper forum in MS's very user friendly and intutive support system.

John R

John A
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Yes, very confusing. No need to apologize.

Sync is still alive along with Live Mesh beta, but of which will die at the end of March.

Live Mesh and Live Sync were combined into Windows Live Mesh, is probably the best way to describe it. The back end of Windows Live Mesh is different from both of the older products.

Since you mention SkyDrive in the original post, you are using Windows Live Mesh, the released version, that will not work on XP machines. Yes, that is unfortunate.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Oh, and the 5 gig limit didn't exist on Sync as there was no cloud component for storage. In the pre-release of Windows Live Mesh, that limit was even lower. They raised it at release to match what was available for Live Mesh beta users. I believe that they are evaluating increasing that limit over time.

-steve

Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Steve,

Some of the confusion here was using the term Live Mesh when, I think the real name was Live Mesh Beta (never used it).  The full release, as I understand it is Windows Live Mesh.  I have only been responding to the fact that as a Live Sync user I won't have access to that product in the future (after the end of March) and I'm trying to get ahead of the game.   I'm not a novice user and I found the manner and descriptions in which this was rolled out by MS to be very confusing.  

I ran across a thread of users really banging on the lack of XP support - probably more that just "unfortunate". 

John A

John A
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:37 PM