SyncToy not deleting files on the right during Echo RRS feed

• Question

• I have a folder pair set up for Echo, and SyncToy 2.1 is not deleting files on the right that don't exist in the folder on the left. I tried it when it was already set up and I deleted folders/files on the left (didn't work), then I deleted the folder pair and ran it again and still didn't delete folders/files on the right.

Is this what Echo is supposed to do? The description says it will delete files on the right that have been deleted on the left. Even if I delete files on the left after making the folder pair, it still doesn't delete on the right.

dhinged
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:53 AM

All replies

• Right you are. Echo should delete backup files that were deleted from your main hard drive. While not performing as advertised. it may be a good thing if you are using SyncToy as a backup tool. For example, assume you accidentally deleted a folder and later ran SyncToy. When you eventually realize you deleted valuable data you could get it back via SyncToy. The down side is that you have to delete files in two drives if you really do want to permanently remove them.If you are syncing two drives, then the Echo malfunction is a real bummer.
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 10:32 PM
  • The SyncToy action you are seeing is "Contribute", which is what I use for my backups. I assume you have [?double-]double-checked you haven't got "Contribute" selected rather than "Echo". However I do use "Echo" to mirror changes between two computers, but haven't noticed / experienced that problem to my knowledge - I "echo" C:\Users\Public between three machines. For me it seems to work as stated, mind you I might go back and double-check now I've seen your posting!
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:01 AM
  • The SyncToy action you are seeing is "Contribute", which is what I use for my backups. I assume you have [?double-]double-checked you haven't got "Contribute" selected rather than "Echo". However I do use "Echo" to mirror changes between two computers, but haven't noticed / experienced that problem to my knowledge - I "echo" C:\Users\Public between three machines. For me it seems to work as stated, mind you I might go back and double-check now I've seen your posting!
    Echo has never worked for me. When I use Windows Explorer to display the properties of the left side and right side folders, the file counts are different. Echo has always failed to delete files on the backup external hard drive.
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 4:53 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue.  Files which were renamed on the left are appearing on the right with old and new names.

Yes, I have double-checked that I'm using "Echo"

Monday, April 4, 2011 6:08 AM
  • I have the same issue with Echo :(

It do not delete files on the right

Monday, April 4, 2011 11:11 PM
  • I have the same problem using "Echo".  It's hit and miss as to whether files will be deleted on the right.  I may have found a workaround, though.  If I choose "Preview" before actually running the sync operation, it seems to delete the files on the right every time.  At least it has for the last several weeks of doing it this way.  I wish MS would just update this otherwise fantastic sync program- it's been waaaaay too long since an update.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:05 PM
  • I have the same issue with Echo :(

It do not delete files on the right

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue : (

Will MS fix it ?

Saturday, April 9, 2011 11:26 AM
  • I'm experiencing exactly the same issue : (

Will MS fix it ?

Is this the right forum to report a bug?

There must be a way to tell MS that this is stuffed.  Anyone know what it is?

Sunday, April 17, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Saturday, July 16, 2011 3:11 PM
  • add me to the list, echo wont delete files. 
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 5:36 AM
  • Found this via search, I have the same problem - deletes and renames on the left aren't deleting the things on the right when using Echo (which is basically the whole reason for using Echo...).  I love how the Bug Fixes on the download page says "Fixed the issue that prevented delete changes from being synchronized when the sync option is set to 'Echo,'" haha.

From what I've read so far, basically this is caused by documents/folders on the right getting interacted with in some way (either by you or by another program), so touching things on the right is totally off-limits (which is really, really lame and poorly constructed).

Has anyone tried the 32-bit (x86) version to see if that fixes it?

Otherwise, is there an alternative anyone found to be as simple and useful as SyncToy?  Right now I'm considering FreeFileSync, I was also looking at Bart by Zhorn Software but it's a little trickier to set up than I would like.
    • Edited by tadcampbell Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:27 AM clarification
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:20 AM
  • A simple alternative to SyncToy?  Well, very much more basic (but sometimes more basic is better), how's about the RoboCopy command wrapped in a .bat file wrapper with the output piped to a log file?  As far as I can tell, it's absolutely solid and robust.  I use it with my options specified in a .rcj file, and /mir will give you a proper mirror copy.  I also add /s /e /xj /r:0 /fft /dst,  and /xd and /xf to exclude things like the recycle bin.  And if you want a GUI front-end to it there's RichCopy though that seems to have a couple of omissions like for the /fft flag for coping with FAT:NTFS time representation differences.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hi Tadcampbell,

It looks like Synctoy is no longer supported.  It has been around for a long time and this echo issue persist.

However, I have it working with my Scheduler except for this distrubing trend to leave old files sitting on the right side because they were somehow touched. 

So....

I am going to try to run "FreeFileSync" manually and leave in place my synctoy scheduled echo backups.  FreeFileSync uses the mirror command.  I am not sure how this is going to work.  Seems like a tuff solution to use two sync packages because the first is crippled.  Maybe when I have time, I will just buy a good package that has a scheduler and be done with it.  I hear Goodsync is nice but is not simple.

Perhaps Microsoft will fix Synctoy 2.1 with a 2.2 version but I am not holding my breath.

Sunday, April 7, 2013 6:26 PM
  • It is no bug, it's feature!

In echo-mode first time you must synchronize left folder to empty folder.

After it all deletes from left was delete in right. But if you create a new file in right folder it's not delete.

Sorry my English!

Friday, October 9, 2015 6:51 AM
  • It is no bug, it's feature!

In echo-mode first time you must synchronize left folder to empty folder.

After it all deletes from left was delete in right. But if you create a new file in right folder it's not delete.

Sorry my English!

For anyone still using SyncToy, this guy is right. It will not delete or rename any files on the right that existed when the pair was created. If the files are copied to the right by SyncToy, it will then delete or rename them. So to properly use Echo, you must use an empty folder on the right when you create the pair.
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 8:44 PM
  • I've started to use Synctoy recently and it works perfectly for me having started with a blank right hand folder
    Tuesday, July 7, 2020 10:24 AM