Need Reactivation Help RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using windows xp home edition. Iv'e been using it for 1.5 years already. So on saturday august 12 2006 I decided to update some software. I got 1 new critical security update from windowsupdate and 8 new security updates from windowsupdate. I updated avast antivirus program and it's virus data base, spyware search and destroy, unistalled my nvidia geforce 84.xx driver and installed the new nvidia geforce 90.xx drivers for my graphic card. Then I closed my wireless connections and rebooted I think. Then after rebooting and before or after refixing my wireless connection by clicking repair thats when the whole **** blew over. I was at that point thinking wtf reactivation in 3 days? This has never happened before.

The message was something like your windows configuration has been dramatically changed and now you must reactivate windows in 3 days.

So was this what the new Windows update did? Critical update my a s s and now I got only 1.9 days left until I lose windows. Whoever writes the critical update for wga needs to get rid of the maximum count of driver and software upgrades and reinstallations. They have just recently decided to screw millions of windows users by forcing them to reactivate windows in an insane 3 day period. My product key is genuine and I'm the only one who has ever been using it and now it seems like a bad windows update is trying to stiff everyone of money.

Not only that but the reactivation procedures aren't correct. They tell you to got start>program>accessories>system tools and then somehow you should find a reactivation slot but it's not there. You can only go to the reactivation window when you reboot and find the pair of keys icon on the bottom of the screen. So I did that and opened the reactivation window and typed in my 25 key product key and they tell me that the number of time I used it was exceeded? W T F! I'm the only one using it. So they must be b u ll***** me. So then I called the toll free united states number and use my voice to read an 8 or 10 set customer id number and the call ends with something like it can't validate my copy of windows xp and plz hold and a representative will speak to you. So I wait and it ends up like they automatically hang up the phone and no representatives speak to me. I called them this morning at US pacific time 8am too and you would think that someone would pick up the phone working for Microsoft since they are a big corporation but they didn't. So the phone call ends up with no progess and now I have less than 2 days to reactivate. I will be piss ed if I need to reformat and reinstall windows. I do not want to spend 3 days reinstalling and upgrading all my software so what should I do? They don't even list support phone numbers on their webpage.

People are so worried about viruses, pop-ups, spam, spyware, and bad internet connections. So why am I facing a basic 3 day reactivation product key problem when I've been the only one using it for 1.5 years? All of a sudden they let a noob intern programmer write WGA for windowsupdate and now millions of people are getting reactivation problems while they intern is getting a paid for vacation and a promotion by us dummies who are being forced to buy new product keys. These magicians actually believe they can hypnotize us and make us think that our copy of windows is not genuine and to make us be afraid of them. I won't be surprised if someone smarter than me decides to sue microsoft for this b s. If my reactivation problem is not fixed then I might as well be signing up to support anyone who wants to sue microsoft.

I have more than 50 gigs of stuff that I haven't backed up yet so should I start backing up my stuff or should I have faith and wait and be screwed when 1.9 days run out?

I made my last 3 sets of 5 of windows product key stars cuz I don't want people to see them. If you want them I can type them in a reply.

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Not Activated
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-***** ***** *****
    Windows Product Key Hash: +a/4j3HQCGo1B8k35O5KaLx+Pc0=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2159567-49346
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: COA/Sysem Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    Download Center code: 67FRNQ8
    ID: cd6820cb-1caf-4174-9442-41121c38f2a6
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    Cache refresh Interval: 3136 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): 14
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): 31
    All disabled: 0
    Reminder reduced: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics: 7E90FEE8-165-80004005_B4D0AA8B-511-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>cd6820cb-1caf-4174-9442-41121c38f2a6</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-7YQBG</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2159567-49346</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-117609710-1482476501-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>MSI</Manufacturer><Model>MS-7058</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>V1.4B0</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040914000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>85873D5701844E7D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>C0905852DF09064</Val><Hash>ThftedLcoHWshkLxNVmisMT0roE=</Hash><Pid>70141-050-6426395-56168</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, August 14, 2006 4:52 PM

Answers

• userhomepc4545,

I do want to apologize for all the issues that you are having re-activating your copy of windows. The only advice that we can give you is to continue to call the US activation number that you were provided with. That number is the only line that can activate your key after a certain numbers of product activations are made.

Monday, August 14, 2006 5:00 PM

All replies

• userhomepc4545,

I do want to apologize for all the issues that you are having re-activating your copy of windows. The only advice that we can give you is to continue to call the US activation number that you were provided with. That number is the only line that can activate your key after a certain numbers of product activations are made.

Monday, August 14, 2006 5:00 PM
  • User,

The way this process works, you have to be activated before anything else can be done.  I think you will find that your problems will go away after a phone activation.

Please continue to try to activate.

Monday, August 14, 2006 5:04 PM
  • Thanks Derrick and Dan. I called them again and its all fixed now. Thanks. I hope someday that they will decide to patch the 3 day reactivation thing and either make it longer or completely disable it cuz its causing too many problems. I'm the only one using my home edition product key for my only one computer and thats how it will always be. To limit customers from upgrading anti virus programs, spyware programs and graphic drivers is too much of a handicap for WGA to be precieved as a window genuine advantage. Rather until they fix or eliminate the 3-day reactivation b s it should be known as a window genuine disadvantage. Help from this forum was great. Within 3 hours the problem fixed. In the future microsoft should just link their program to the forum instead of making people treasure hunt a start>programs>x>x> path that leads to nothing. Thanks everyone. So will I be seeing anyone of you in the next 1.5 years?
    Monday, August 14, 2006 6:08 PM
  • User,

Product Activation does have some tolerance built in to accept some changes, and the vast majority of average XP users will never see or hear a peep out of PA.

Computer enthusiasts such as yourself, though, who are changing hardware and installing and uninstalling programs and the OS a lot do tend to run into product activation's built-in "speed bumps."  The good news is that as a rule phone activation goes smoothly, although lately posters have been reporting that some PA call centers have been having phone troubles and were in the midst of system upgrades that were keeping them from activation callers.  Hopefully these situations are like the signs you see at highway contsruction sites, "Temporary inconvenience, permanent improvement."

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 3:20 AM
  • I just formatted my pc. After formatting I installed windows xp sp2 from geniune cd. After that I activate windows the message comes that "according to our records, the number of times you can activate windows with this product key has been exceeded. please enter a different product key, and then click retry".

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:15 AM
  •  Rachit Bhatnagar wrote:
    I just formatted my pc. After formatting I installed windows xp sp2 from geniune cd. After that I activate windows the message comes that "according to our records, the number of times you can activate windows with this product key has been exceeded. please enter a different product key, and then click retry".

If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP by phone:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click 'Start', point to 'All Programs', point to 'Accessories', point to 'System Tools', and then click 'Activate Windows'.
      Or,
    click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).
      Or,
    clicking Start button, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.  

3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
     "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows". 

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:41 PM