none
GPO - Software Restriction Policy - Problem with Google Chrome and Microsoft who are in the Users folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

Context: 

I have set up a GPO that implements a software restriction policy on my workstation (to test).

It allows to limit the paths on which files (.exe, .bat,...) can be executed. The concerned paths are the following ones: 

-C:\Windows

-C:\Program Files

-C:\Program Files (x86)

As well as the use of the command prompt/PowerShell with dedicated rules. 

The goal is to prevent the execution / installation of unauthorized software. 

Example: Running AnyDesk / Installing Spotify

My problem:

Some applications such as Google Chrome and Microsoft Teams are located in the Users folder (C:\Users), so for these software to work I need to add a rule per path for each software.

This "solves the problem" in the sense that the software runs again but the blocking of the execution of programs of type .exe/.bat... at the level of its paths is no longer effective. 

This means that for example if the exe of AnyDesk / Spotify is moved in one of these 2 paths it is then executable / installable

Attempted but not conclusive solution:

- Set up a rule per certificate for Google Chrome and Microsoft Teams, it works but sometimes blocks the use of the software

Questions:

Do you know how to solve my problem? 

PS: I can't use AppLocker

Sincerely, 

Pablo COELHO DA SILVA

Monday, December 5, 2022 4:05 PM

All replies

• Why is GPO so hard to configure?

Introduction:

GPO configuration is not as straightforward as it seems. There are many settings that can be configured and there are different ways to achieve the same result. The configuration of GPO can be extremely complicated for novice users and even experienced users may have trouble configuring it. This article will show you how difficult it can be for beginners and give some basic tips on how to configure GPO successfully. We will also discuss some advanced topics like GPO auditing, customizing GPO configuration, setting up multiple GPOs with the same group policy object (GPO), changing GPOs on-the-fly, and more!

How do I enable GPO in my browser?

An introduction to GPO is a good way to introduce the feature. We can use it to explain how it works and what it does.

What are the pros and cons of enabling and disabling GPO?

Some people consider GPO to be a great feature that helps them in keeping track of their work and make sure that they don't waste time on tasks that they should be doing.

There are pros and cons of enabling and disabling GPO. There are many questions about the pros and cons of enabling or disabling

Wednesday, December 7, 2022 11:01 AM
  •  Try these common Chrome crash fixes

Close other tabs, extensions, and apps. 
    Restart Chrome. 
    Restart your computer
    Check for malware. 
    Open the page in another browser. 
    Fix network issues and report website problems. 
    Fix problem apps (Windows computers only) 
    Check to see if Chrome is already open.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

Friday, December 16, 2022 5:51 AM
  • As a Chrome administrator, you can use the DownloadRestrictions policy to prevent users from downloading dangerous files, such as malware or infected files. Applies to Windows users who sign in to a managed account on Chrome browser. As an administrator, you can configure Chrome Browser settings on Microsoft® ...

• Proposed as answer by Frenco ltd Friday, December 23, 2022 6:23 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2022 6:22 AM