none
Moving Entire Schedule 3 Weeks RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if there is a way to move an entire schedule 3 weeks later, with broken linkages and deadend tasks.  There are no constraints and it is all auto scheduled.  The schedule is very large and I want to avoid hunting down every critical path - Thanks

Thursday, June 4, 2020 5:14 PM

Answers

• SmokeyJoe101,

Good to hear from you again. Take a look at the Move Project feature that is found under Project > Schedule group.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by SmokeyJoe101 Thursday, June 4, 2020 7:34 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2020 6:46 PM
  • SmokeyJoe101,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

The critical path of course shows which tasks are the driving tasks for the plan. You can also use the Network Diagram, Descriptive Network Diagram or the Relationship Diagram views to see network and individual task drivers. You might also try the Task Inspector found under Task > Task group > Inspect.

Does that help or am I not understanding what you want?

John

• Marked as answer by SmokeyJoe101 Thursday, June 4, 2020 9:22 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2020 8:29 PM
  • SmokeyJoe101,

Again, you're welcome and thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you end goal was to find "dangling" tasks rather then to locate driving tasks. That is easy to do by filtering for tasks with no predecessor, no actual start, and no constraint but it sounds like you found another approach that works for you.

John

• Marked as answer by SmokeyJoe101 Friday, June 5, 2020 7:16 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2020 2:49 AM

All replies

• SmokeyJoe101,

Good to hear from you again. Take a look at the Move Project feature that is found under Project > Schedule group.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by SmokeyJoe101 Thursday, June 4, 2020 7:34 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2020 6:46 PM
  • Thank you once again John -

I have never had to use this tool, but works well.  Side question.  Would it be possible to use this to find all the driving task? By setting an obscure date and running a filter for that date.

Thursday, June 4, 2020 7:34 PM
  • SmokeyJoe101,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

The critical path of course shows which tasks are the driving tasks for the plan. You can also use the Network Diagram, Descriptive Network Diagram or the Relationship Diagram views to see network and individual task drivers. You might also try the Task Inspector found under Task > Task group > Inspect.

Does that help or am I not understanding what you want?

John

• Marked as answer by SmokeyJoe101 Thursday, June 4, 2020 9:22 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2020 8:29 PM
  • John - I tried some of those methods and though they worked well, they did not fully get me where I wanted to go.

What I did and it worked out for me:

Pulled sub project from main project

change start date 1/1/10

Sorted all task with a 1/1/10 date and filter out summary task and task with predecessors

This gave me a list of task that needed either a processor or a hard coded date

Thanks for all your help 

Thursday, June 4, 2020 9:28 PM
  • SmokeyJoe101,

Again, you're welcome and thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you end goal was to find "dangling" tasks rather then to locate driving tasks. That is easy to do by filtering for tasks with no predecessor, no actual start, and no constraint but it sounds like you found another approach that works for you.

John

• Marked as answer by SmokeyJoe101 Friday, June 5, 2020 7:16 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2020 2:49 AM