reactivation dead-end RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a paid subscription to OneCare at the recommendation of a salesperson (BIG MISTAKE) when I bought my laptop at a Circuit City store.  It was installed for me; I was given the product key and didn't think I would need anything else.  Later, a friend who suspected that OneCare was the reason for slow online activity deactivated it.  To reactivate, a OneCare ID and password were required - something that Circuit City never gave me.  I obtained new OneCare ID online, but it was only good for downloading a new trial subscription.  When I tried to go through the maze of OneCare help online, I got to the place for contacting support, but it requested a 20-digit product key.  My product key is 25 digits!  I just want to reactivate the program that I paid for, but I can't do it.  I am now living abroad and cannot go back to the store for tech support.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  OneCare online help was very time consuming and led nowhere.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:52 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, you cannot re-use the key. When you purchased the PC and Circuit City set it up for you, they should have given you documentation with the LiveID that they used and the password. I'm sorry that you are now unable to reach the store directly, but they are the ones who should be able to tell you that information, assuming they have retained a copy on file.

To reach support, to see what alternatives you may have, select the option during the support flow that you are a trial or beta user -  this will allow you to open an email support case. Identify your problem in detail as you have done here and request a call back. Support can tell you the LiveID based on your product key and/or contact information. Perhaps they can reset the LiveID password for you so that you can recover ownership of the LiveID that Circuit City created for you.

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:36 AM