Can WS 2012 Essentials be configured not to be Domain Server RRS feed

• Pytanie

• Two questions:

1- Can WS 2012 Essentials be configured not to be a Domain Server completley?

2- Can WS 2012 Essentials be configured not to be a Domain Server, but be able to join a domain if needed?

Thanks in advance...

BJ

wtorek, 11 września 2012 17:08

Odpowiedzi

• Two questions:

2- Can WS 2012 Essentials be configured not to be a Domain Server, but be able to join a domain if needed?

Thanks in advance...

BJ

When you install 2012 Essentials, it automatically becomes a domain controller (although it can be added to an existing domain by selecting Server Migration during the install process).

• Oznaczony jako odpowiedź przez Sean Zhu - wtorek, 18 września 2012 07:16
    wtorek, 11 września 2012 18:09
  • I need the dashboard and integrated backup that comes with the WS2012 essentials.
    Ah, you didn't mention that aspect! The only other option I can think of is WHS2011.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

piątek, 14 września 2012 17:56

Wszystkie odpowiedzi

• Two questions:

Thanks in advance...

BJ

When you install 2012 Essentials, it automatically becomes a domain controller (although it can be added to an existing domain by selecting Server Migration during the install process).

wtorek, 11 września 2012 18:09
  • I understand that, but can we disable that somehow?

BJ

wtorek, 11 września 2012 18:19

BJ

Not without breaking it.  :)
    wtorek, 11 września 2012 18:25

I'm curious as to why you would like to do that?

czwartek, 13 września 2012 20:21
  • We are thinking of using that OS to build couple of units for storage only and put them in our offices tht have a domain server already. Can I do that without disabling domain controller functionality of this unit and without messing things up in our offices.

BJ

czwartek, 13 września 2012 20:42
  • If that's all you want to do with it, why not use Windows 8 which comes with Storage Spaces?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

czwartek, 13 września 2012 21:34
  • I need the dashboard and integrated backup that comes with the WS2012 essentials. no other version has it as far as i know. We have used WSS 2008-essentials before, but am looking something similar to that in 2012 versions.

BJ

piątek, 14 września 2012 16:39
  • I need the dashboard and integrated backup that comes with the WS2012 essentials.
    Ah, you didn't mention that aspect! The only other option I can think of is WHS2011.

piątek, 14 września 2012 17:56
  • I need the dashboard and integrated backup that comes with the WS2012 essentials. no other version has it as far as i know. We have used WSS 2008-essentials before, but am looking something similar to that in 2012 versions.

Storage Server has the same backup, console and ability to backup up to 25 machines - and it can join an existing domain/integrate into an existing environment much better than SBS Essentials or WHS for what you want.

Gramps has the cheapest storage servers I have been able to find (MS does not sell Storage Server software except to a select few integrators)

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2011/12/28/looking-for-a-windows-storage-server-r2-essentials-vendor-check-out-backup-box-by-gramps.aspx

He links to Western Digital's solution, and Dell, HP and the usual suspects have Storage Server "appliances" too - for a higher cost.

• Zmodyfikowany przez E Eskam piątek, 28 września 2012 05:50
    piątek, 28 września 2012 05:10
  • Yes, Windows Storage Server (WSS)-2008R2-Essentials did have a dashboard like WS-2012-Essentials, but there is no WSS-2012-Essentials anymore. I am looking for a WS-2012 or WSS-2012 solution with the dashboard that is not (or configured not to be) a domain server. Have not found it so far......

BJ

piątek, 28 września 2012 15:56
  • Why is it a problem to have Windows Server 2012 Essentials as an additional domain controller in a pre-existing domain, something which is fully supported?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

piątek, 28 września 2012 16:10
  • Yes, it will work. But I offered that to one of my clients who was basically looking for a storage appliance, and he said "I already have two domain controllers and don't need another one. I only need the storage capabilities and he likes the dashboard". I think he wanted to keep things simple.  

BJ

piątek, 28 września 2012 16:22
  • So install it and tell him that it being a domain controller isn't going to be a problem. Which is true. :)

sobota, 29 września 2012 01:23
  • Thanks for the inputs. They help a lot. I am a storage guy and maybe need to understand this domain controller stuff more. So should I assume that a storage box being a domain controller is not an issue, and also having an extra domain controller sitting around in an existing domain is not going to cause any issues? 

What if they want their storage to be part of their main domain? Can this storage box that happens to be a domaon controller join an existing domain?

BJ

sobota, 29 września 2012 17:45
  • ... Can this storage box that happens to be a domaon controller join an existing domain?

Look up, to where kariya21 answers exactly this question for you...

sobota, 29 września 2012 20:08
  • Does it being a domain controller affect which PCs on my network I can backup?

I have 1 domain and a workgroup on my network and would like all PCs on the network to be backed up regardless of their domain.  Is this a problem?

thanks

sobota, 6 października 2012 16:01
  • Does it being a domain controller affect which PCs on my network I can backup?

I have 1 domain and a workgroup on my network and would like all PCs on the network to be backed up regardless of their domain.  Is this a problem?

thanks

No.  It can backup computers that are in its domain and workgroup computers as well (as long as the client connector software is installed).  After all, it can backup Win7 HP and Win8 Core which cannot be part of a domain.
    niedziela, 7 października 2012 16:59
  • Excelent topic here. I'm going through similar issues right now. I have an existing domain, and want the backup capabilities WS 2012 Essentials provides. I've been using WHS 2011, which works, but WHS 2011 can't join the domain. Bummer not being able to control file shares on the box with AD. WS 2012 Essentials was looking like a great solution. During the install, you're given the choice of either a new domain, or "Migrating" an existing domain. You're warned right there you have 21 days to complete the migration before your original DC is shut down! From what I can tell, WS 2012 Essentials must be the one and only root forest AD controller. I'm not about to dump my multiple controller environment for lack of redundancy. If in fact it can be an additional controller, then I can work with that. Details here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200186.aspx

So, I built it as a new domain, and set up a two way transitive trust. Now at least I can manage file share rights with my original domain's accounts.

Now came the epic failure. I try to join a Win8 workstation that's a member of "Domain1" to the WS 2012 Essentials connector in "Domain2". WS 2012 Essentials says I have to join the workstation to the "Domain2" domain. Argh.... Should have noticed that here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj593255.aspx

Now the previously posted conversation has me wondering if it can in fact continue operating in a multiple top level controller environment.

The Wikipedia specification list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_2012 shows only WS 2012 Foundation as having to be "root of forest and domain".

Side note: Since WS 2012 Essentials has no local user accounts, it doesn't look like I can demote it, join it to Domain1, then promote it either.

piątek, 14 grudnia 2012 09:15
  • This is 5 year old thread, but if anyone runs into this topic while google searching I would just recommend getting a NAS.
    sobota, 25 marca 2017 20:12