Configuring Router RRS feed

• Pytanie

•  

I have a Motorola WR850GP Router that I am finding impossible to get configured.  I am led to believe by Motorola and some contributors on this forum that I probably do not need a new router for remote access, but I have not yet been able to configure the router.  My ISP (AT&T dsl) tells me that there are no port restrictions and that my modem is in "bridge mode" and therefore the modem is not restricting anything and the router is in total control.  Motorola took me to "virtual server" area (virtual server tab in configuration page) to configure ports 80, 443, and 4125.  This step only resulted in not being able to access the internet through the router.  I undid the changes and internet access returned, but still no remote access.  (UPnP is enabled)   Someone suggested that I have a dynamic IP server address and I need to change it to a static IP address.  Is router configuration mostly consistent among different router brands and models or are they all totally different?  Remote access page in WHS indicates that router is configured, but that "router is not accepting website connections" and "router is not accepting remote access connections". 

I have totally no confidence in the competence of the techs I spoke to at AT&T or Motorola either, so their advice may be no good.  Does anyone know if AT&T, like Verizon, blocks certain ports for residental customers? 

Can anyone shed any light on what my problem may be and what I need to do to get remote access working?

czwartek, 28 lutego 2008 21:01

Odpowiedzi

• Virtual Server should be it.  But, be warned - for some routers, that setting leaves a machine wide-open to the Internets.  Hopefully, the router also has a help file to give specifics? 
    However, it would be good to know for sure that the modem is truly in bridge mode.
    If it is, you should find (in the router's config) that it's set up to dial a PPPoE connection (i.e. username & passwords are entered), and the router's WAN IP address should be an internet IP, rather than a private (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x., or 172.16.x.x)  What's the WAN IP address (first three octects, feel free ATM to xx out the fourth)?

*Edit:
    Yes, Virtual Server is it, and it's safe on this router.
    Refer to the manual, section 3, page 34 (pdf page 72.) 

piątek, 29 lutego 2008 04:12

Wszystkie odpowiedzi

• I've done that and it worked.  On my router the page is called Port Forwarding.  Did you point those 3 ports to the IP of the Server, something like 192.168.0.3?  Thats where a static IP would help, because everytime you reboot the server it could get a different IP address.

czwartek, 28 lutego 2008 21:06
  • I have a tab named "port trigger" which looks what I thought would be the most likely setting, but the incompetent tech at Motorola (who admitted that he really was not sure) said that was not where I wanted to go.  I did that anyway and set the three ports to always be open but it made no difference.  Server IP is 192.168.10.8.  Each client computer on the network (and a couple that I no longer own) have sequential numbers in the last block.  (192.168.10.1 through 192.168.10.8).  There was a "from" and "to" selection and a "port range" selection and it looked that I wanted to enter from "port 80" to "port 80" etc. in the blank that asked for port range (range of ports).   I assume that I do not want to open everything from 80 to 4125.

czwartek, 28 lutego 2008 21:24
  • Port triggering is not the same thing as port forwarding. Port triggering opens up an incoming port if it detects outgoing packets on a particular port (could be the same port, could be a different one). This lets protocols that start on one port but have a backchannel on a different port to work. So in this case, the Motorola tech was right.
    piątek, 29 lutego 2008 03:26
  • Do you feel that "Virtual Server" tab is the area that I need to work in to get things configured?  I have pretty well searched all the tabs on all the pages and I do not find anything that specifically refers to "port forwarding" or "open ports".  This router is about 3 years old and I know a lot of technology changes in that length of time.  I did find the selection to enable UPnP if that dates the piece with respect to whether I should be able to configure it (or if it can be configured).   Thank you for your patience with me on this.  I may be a slow learner, but I can learn.

piątek, 29 lutego 2008 03:58
  • Virtual Server should be it.  But, be warned - for some routers, that setting leaves a machine wide-open to the Internets.  Hopefully, the router also has a help file to give specifics? 
    However, it would be good to know for sure that the modem is truly in bridge mode.
    If it is, you should find (in the router's config) that it's set up to dial a PPPoE connection (i.e. username & passwords are entered), and the router's WAN IP address should be an internet IP, rather than a private (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x., or 172.16.x.x)  What's the WAN IP address (first three octects, feel free ATM to xx out the fourth)?

*Edit:
    Yes, Virtual Server is it, and it's safe on this router.
    Refer to the manual, section 3, page 34 (pdf page 72.) 

piątek, 29 lutego 2008 04:12
  • This is probably where I read that the server needs a static IP address.  (At least one place anyway)  The WAN IP address is 192.168.1.xx. There is also listed with that, "subnet mask", "default gateway", and "primary DNS".    I do not understand the difference between a static and dynamic IP address except that somehow one changes (or at least can) and the other does not.  I do not know how to assign a static IP address to the server.  Maybe that is my whole problem.   I do have the router manual printed out and have almost worn out page 34 over the last week.  Can you tell me where I can go to get instructions to change this address to a static address, or pass on to me the steps necessary to do it?  I think MAYBE that is my problem rather than router configuration itself.

I just went back into the router setup and checked and WAN interface is set on DHCP.  There are 4 choices there: DHCP, PPPoE, Static Assigned, and PPTP.  If I click PPPoE, the User name, password, etc. blanks come active but they are blank.  Perhaps I should change this?  Would my user name and password be my ISP user name and password, or would I just assign one?

piątek, 29 lutego 2008 05:04
  • Microsoft's Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool says that my router does not support UPnP and does not support NAT.  Both of these are listed in the router setup and both are checked "enabled".  I wonder if the tool finds "not supported" because something else is not configured correctly (porting??,  something in the basic configuration??), or does the router just not support these two items to the current standards required by the server??   I really do not want to go buy a new router then find out that AT&T has the ports blocked or something like that.

This is an evaluation copy of Windows Home Server. My evaluation is beginning to look like it "Needs a heap more work before it is ready for the average Joe!"

piątek, 29 lutego 2008 08:41
  • Your DSL modem/router isn't running in bridge mode - note your router's private WAN IP.
    Your choices are:
    - log in to the modem, and forward 80, 443, and 4125 to the router.  The router then forwards the ports to the WHS.  Or,

- properly configure the modem/router to run in bridge mode (this is better in the long term.)

What's the make & model of your modem?

piątek, 29 lutego 2008 13:02
  • The modem is a Netopia 2241N and the router is a Motorola WR850GP.   I am going to set this issue aside for a few days as I will be switching ISP's.  I will be switching from AT&T DSL to Comcast cable internet service.  I will have everything set up and ready and attempt to have the installer configure everything at that time.  If he says "I cannot do that, I can only set up the TV and basic internet.", I'll punch him in the nose.  Nah, not really, but I am not beyond begging.

I do really want to thank all you guys for all your help.  We will get into printer questions and some other issues once I get past this ISP change over.  I don't have any hope of finding Comcast any more competent or willing to work out customer problems than AT&T, but at least I will be saving $50/mo and moving from 768Kbps to 12Mbps.  Thank You Everyone.

sobota, 1 marca 2008 05:47
  • Oh, this will be hugely easier.  Comcast's modem will (should) be a simple modem, rather than the typical DSL modem/router.
    All that needs to be done to get your LAN (and, along with it, the WHS) on the internet:
    Reboot the router.  That's it.  You'll pull the power wire, and power up the cable modem.  Once the modem has a line sync (~30 seconds), plug in the router.  Done. 
    At that point, you'll likely find that you really can correctly set up web access for your WHS.

sobota, 1 marca 2008 05:55
  • Yeah, I've done that modem, then router re-boot process so many times that I'm getting concerned about how many cycles the plugs will live through.  Well, at least the modem will be the same brand as the router.  Both will be Motorola.  The cable router will be a Motorola SB5101.   Of course this doesn't always mean that they will be nicer to each other than mixing brands, but it makes one feel better.  Actually, sometimes they fight like brother and sister.

You are mentioning modem/router!  My current DSL modem is a stand alone modem and not a combination device.  The modem was supplied by the phone company, but I purchased the router separately. 

I'll have everything assembled and located conveniently for the installer when he comes to install the cable.  That way I will not try to have him running all around the house to check this component or that component.  I can re-locate everything so suit my liking after everything is working.

Thanks again for all your help.  Maybe, in a week or so, I can report remote access.

sobota, 1 marca 2008 06:32
  • same issue on my side
    niedziela, 25 września 2016 22:04