"SELECT * INTO table FROM" a stored procedure? Possible? RRS feed

• Pytanie

• I did a search and read a few solutions but they just don't make too much sense to me. Forgive my newbie-ness but I'm still pretty new when it comes to stored procedures. I'm still learning every minute I working with SQL.

I have a big and somewhat complex stored procedure that returns a result set that I would like to just copy into a new table. I normally use the SELECT * INTO [table] FROM [table] statement but i don't know the proper syntax for a stored procedure.

I've fanthomed the idea of just copying the statements from the stored procedure, but this stored procedure is rather complex and I'm not too sure what to copy and what not to without reviewing the statements closely.

So, I was thinking:

SELECT * INTO TableA FROM (EXECUTE sp_List '0001','P','P') AS X

Of course this just errors out and probably not possible.

Thanks for any advice. I'm sure this is probably so easy...

If you keep doing the same thing, you'll always get the same thing...
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 16:16

Odpowiedzi

• A stored procedure allows a lot more flexiblity while maintaing parameterization, while a TVF (Table Valued Function) can operate as a paramertized view, if it is inline.  Here is an article that well help you in deciding between a function and a stored procedure.  You should be careful with the use of TVF function though.  The optimizer is only able to maintain statistics on an Inline TVF... any other type of fuction will require the optmizer to guess at the number of rows affected, which can severly degrade performance.

Table Valued Functions: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191165.aspx
    *Inline TVF Link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189294.aspx
    Rewrittings SP as Functions: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187650.aspx

As for the answer to the original question.

The syntax to insert a stored procedures results into a table is as such.

INSERT INTO MyTable  
    (  
        Col1,  
        Col2  
    )  
    EXEC [dbo].[MyStoredProcName] 
    • Zmodyfikowany przez Adam Haines poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:20 Added more content
    • Oznaczony jako odpowiedź przez Naomi N środa, 29 lutego 2012 21:57
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:11
  • Hi, It's definitely not a part of best practices  , but it works:

select a.* into #t

from openrowset('SQLNCLI', 'Server=localhost;Trusted_Connection=yes;',

'SET NOCOUNT ON;SET FMTONLY OFF ;

exec msdb..sp_help_job'
    ) AS a;

select * from #t;

• Oznaczony jako odpowiedź przez Naomi N środa, 29 lutego 2012 21:59
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:46
  • poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 20:30
  • Brad_Schulz said:

There'a also an OPENQUERY() function, .....
    I don't know if you can manipulate this into just executing on the same server you're already on or not.

Yes Brad, you can execute OPENQUERY on the same server instance (not just on a linked server) and achieve the objective of creating a table with SELECT INTO from stored procedure execution.

Here is a SQL Server 2008 OPENQUERY demo on the same server instance:

/*  Data access must be configured for the sql server instance  
    exec sp_serveroption @server = 'DELLSTAR\SQL2008'   
    ,@optname = 'DATA ACCESS'   
    ,@optvalue = 'TRUE'   
    */   
    -- SQL select into temporary table create from stored procedure execution  
    SELECT *   
    INTO   #BillOfMaterials   
    FROM   OPENQUERY([DELLSTAR\SQL2008],  
    'EXECUTE [AdventureWorks2008].[dbo].[uspGetBillOfMaterials]  800,''2004-02-01''')   
    GO   

SELECT   TOP ( 5 ) *   
    FROM     #BillOfMaterials   
    ORDER BY NEWID()   
    GO   
    /* Partial results   

ProductAssemblyID  ComponentID  ComponentDesc   
    835                  803          ML Fork   
    800                  835          ML Road Frame-W - Yellow, 44   
    806                  323          Crown Race   
    800                  994          LL Bottom Bracket   
    800                  819          ML Road Front Wheel   
    */  

SELECT FROM Stored Procedure article:

http://www.sqlusa.com/bestpractices2005/selectfromsproc/

Kalman Toth
    New Book: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2016

• Zmodyfikowany przez Kalman Toth piątek, 10 listopada 2017 10:06
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 21:26

Wszystkie odpowiedzi

• Sounds like you may need a table-valued function...

Here's an example:

USE Northwind  
    go  

CREATE FUNCTION fx_Customers_ByCity  
    ( @City nvarchar(15) )  
    RETURNS table 
    AS 
    RETURN (  
            SELECT CompanyName  
            FROM Customers  
            WHERE City =@City  
             )  
    go  

SELECT * FROM fx_Customers_ByCity('London')  

So in your case, you would define a function that accepts 3 parameters and returns table data and you call it like so:

SELECT * INTO TableA FROM MyFunction('0001','P','P')

--Brad
    • Zaproponowany jako odpowiedź przez Brad_Schulz poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 16:24
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 16:23
  • Can the function call up a stored procedure and use conditions on the stored procedure result set? Or do I have to somehow convert what the stored procedure does to a function. I understand where you're going with this and it would work, but the store procedure statements are so complex it would take too long. If there is an easy way to do this it would be great.

It would be faster to create a table with the corresponding columns to fit the result set from the stored procedure, execute the stored procedure, copy the result set to a CSV file, and then bulk insert that file into the table I just created.

I just want to grab the data and put it into a new table in the most efficient way.
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 16:46
  • I'm not sure what to tell you... I'm fairly new to this myself.

As I understand it, a stored procedure will EXECUTE a batch but it doesn't actually RETURN a batch that you can then do something with (like put the batch of records INTO a new table).

--Brad
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 17:15
  • the Insert statement support the execution statement (which includes the execution of stored procedure) as:

INSERT table1 (col1)
    EXEC dbo.sp_some
    go

For details, see section "H. Inserting data using the SELECT and EXECUTE options " at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174335.aspx

poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 17:21
  • Brad_Schulz said:

I'm not sure what to tell you... I'm fairly new to this myself.

As I understand it, a stored procedure will EXECUTE a batch but it doesn't actually RETURN a batch that you can then do something with (like put the batch of records INTO a new table).

--Brad

No problem, thanks for the idea with a function as that will work and I will keep that in mind moving forward. Any other feedback is greatly appreciated!
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 17:26
  • There'a also an OPENQUERY() function, but that's designed to retrieve a set of records from some other linked server:

SELECT * INTO TableA FROM OPENQUERY(SomeLinkedServer,'EXEC sp_List ''0001'',''P'',''P''')

I don't know if you can manipulate this into just executing on the same server you're already on or not.

--Brad
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 17:31
  • Bill Fan said:

the Insert statement support the execution statement (which includes the execution of stored procedure) as:

INSERT table1 (col1)
    EXEC dbo.sp_some
    go

For details, see section "H. Inserting data using the SELECT and EXECUTE options " at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174335.aspx

I totally agree with you and fully understand how this works, but I'm trying to avoid going this route as I do not want to create a table to insert into from the stored procedure; hence the reason I want to use the SELECT * INTO table FROM stored_procedure approach but was wondering if this is possible.

The result set from the store procedure in question has 50-some columns. I'm just trying to avoid having to create the table unless I have to and learn some new tricks at the same time.

I can always create a table and insert into it from the stored procedure but how nice would it be if I could just do the whole thing in one process only.
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 17:32
  • From a PROC you can call the function but not viceversa. So create a temp proc like this

Create Proc #tempProc.

With the results coming from your function, create a temp table like
    Declare @temptable table

then insert the values coming from function to this temp table. If you want to keep this table as permanent, then create a permanent table.

HTH.
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 17:35
  • A stored procedure allows a lot more flexiblity while maintaing parameterization, while a TVF (Table Valued Function) can operate as a paramertized view, if it is inline.  Here is an article that well help you in deciding between a function and a stored procedure.  You should be careful with the use of TVF function though.  The optimizer is only able to maintain statistics on an Inline TVF... any other type of fuction will require the optmizer to guess at the number of rows affected, which can severly degrade performance.

Table Valued Functions: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191165.aspx
    *Inline TVF Link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189294.aspx
    Rewrittings SP as Functions: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187650.aspx

As for the answer to the original question.

The syntax to insert a stored procedures results into a table is as such.

INSERT INTO MyTable  
    (  
        Col1,  
        Col2  
    )  
    EXEC [dbo].[MyStoredProcName] 
    • Zmodyfikowany przez Adam Haines poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:20 Added more content
    • Oznaczony jako odpowiedź przez Naomi N środa, 29 lutego 2012 21:57
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:11
  • The problem is not that he wants to INSERT INTO a table... he wants to CREATE a table via the INTO clause of a SELECT.

And that doesn't seem possible with a proc.

Either way, it seems that he's going to have to define the 50+ fields of the table somewhere, which is what he's trying to avoid.  He'll either have to CREATE TABLE with the field definitions and do an INSERT INTO as you suggested, or he'll have to define the table definition in the UDF. 

Unless there's some other way.

--Brad
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:17
  • Here's another idea...

Can you create a 4th parameter for your sp_List procedure (and by the way, you really shouldn't name your stored procedures beginning with "sp_") and that parameter is an optional name of a table to create when your procedure does its SELECT.

If you pass NULL, it just does an ordinary SELECT.  If you pass a string of some kind, then it does the SELECT with an INTO clause into a table defined by that string.  You'd have to construct a dynamic SQL command in your proc to do this, though.

--Brad
    • Zaproponowany jako odpowiedź przez Brad_Schulz poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:25
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:24
  • Brad_Schulz said:

The problem is not that he wants to INSERT INTO a table... he wants to CREATE a table via the INTO clause of a SELECT.

And that doesn't seem possible with a proc.

Either way, it seems that he's going to have to define the 50+ fields of the table somewhere, which is what he's trying to avoid.  He'll either have to CREATE TABLE with the field definitions and do an INSERT INTO as you suggested, or he'll have to define the table definition in the UDF. 

Unless there's some other way.

--Brad

Correct, there is no magic button that will automatically create the column list for him.  The best method is just list the columns. He will only need to do this one time, after which is just becomes simple maintenance. To do anything else would cause either performance problems or security issues (dynamic sql). 

There is one trick that can be done and that is to right-click the table/view --> script table as --> select to --> new query window.  This will generate a select statement with all the columns listed.  He can copy the columns and paste them in his create table statement.

Edit: I just saw your post and I advise anyone who use select into to be very very careful. I actually dont like anyone using this in my environment.  While the feature is good, what is untold by most is how this method signficantly drags performance.  The reason is the DB engine has to lock tempdb while it tries to build all the data and query meta data looking for definitions.  This can cause severly locking for other temp object creation and can even slow down other processes. If you feel obligated to use this method the perferred way is to use an invalid where clause, followed by an insert into statement, as this minimizes locking.  Trust me on this :).

Here is a sample:
    SELECT *  
    INTO #temp 
    FROM MyTable  
    WHERE 1 = 2  

INSERT INTO #temp 
    SELECT *  
    FROM MyTable 
    • Zmodyfikowany przez Adam Haines poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:32 Added more content
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:26
  •  Can't you store the output parameters from the SP into a variable using something like this

sp_sproc_columns @procedure_name = 'yourprocname'

poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:45
  • Agreed...  The SELECT INTO with a WHERE 1=2 is an excellent idea.

--Brad
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:45

select a.* into #t

exec msdb..sp_help_job'
    ) AS a;

select * from #t;

poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:46
  • Here's what I mean as an example... the first 3 parameters don't do anything in this example (except @parm1 is used in the WHERE clause), but you get the idea...

create proc pGetStuff (  
       @parm1 varchar(4)  
      ,@parm2 varchar(1)  
      ,@parm3 varchar(1)  
      ,@intotable varchar(100)=null 
    )  
    as 
    begin 
      declare @sql nvarchar(max)  
      if @intotable is not null 
      begin 
        if object_id(@intotable) is not null   
        begin 
          set @sql='drop table '+@intotable  
          exec sp_executesql @sql  
        end 
      end 
      set @sql='select *'+coalesce(' into '+@intotable,'')+  
           ' from SomeTable where SomeField='+@parm1  
      --print @sql  
      exec sp_executesql @sql  
    end 

Now you can do this:

exec pGetStuff '0001','P','P'             --Just does the SELECT  
    exec pGetStuff '0001','P','P','NewTable'  --SELECTs and creates table called NewTable  

Again, this doesn't institute Adam's suggestion of using the WHERE 1=2 approach to minimize locking.  But hopefully it will give you an idea.

--Brad
    • Zaproponowany jako odpowiedź przez Brad_Schulz poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:56
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 19:56
  • poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 20:30
  • You're probably right...

Denis' solution is BY FAR the easiest solution... thanks for posting the link.

--Brad
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 20:47
  • Brad_Schulz said:

There'a also an OPENQUERY() function, .....

Yes Brad, you can execute OPENQUERY on the same server instance (not just on a linked server) and achieve the objective of creating a table with SELECT INTO from stored procedure execution.

Here is a SQL Server 2008 OPENQUERY demo on the same server instance:

/*  Data access must be configured for the sql server instance  
    ,@optvalue = 'TRUE'   
    */   
    -- SQL select into temporary table create from stored procedure execution  
    SELECT *   
    INTO   #BillOfMaterials   
    FROM   OPENQUERY([DELLSTAR\SQL2008],  
    'EXECUTE [AdventureWorks2008].[dbo].[uspGetBillOfMaterials]  800,''2004-02-01''')   
    GO   

SELECT   TOP ( 5 ) *   
    FROM     #BillOfMaterials   
    ORDER BY NEWID()   
    GO   
    /* Partial results   

ProductAssemblyID  ComponentID  ComponentDesc   
    835                  803          ML Fork   
    800                  835          ML Road Frame-W - Yellow, 44   
    806                  323          Crown Race   
    800                  994          LL Bottom Bracket   
    800                  819          ML Road Front Wheel   
    */  

SELECT FROM Stored Procedure article:

http://www.sqlusa.com/bestpractices2005/selectfromsproc/

Kalman Toth
    New Book: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2016

• Zmodyfikowany przez Kalman Toth piątek, 10 listopada 2017 10:06
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 21:26
  • Thanks, Kalman... that's cool.

Simple question... Is there a function or SP that will return the current server name (DELLSTAR\SQL2008 in your example)?

--Brad
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 21:39
  •  

select @@SERVERNAME

poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 21:46
  • Yum64147 said:

select @@SERVERNAME

Ah-hah!  So it was NEITHER a function or an SP... it's a variable!

Thanks.

Now how can that be passed to OpenQuery()?

--Brad
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 22:14
  • Brad_Schulz said:

Thanks, Kalman... that's cool.

Simple question... Is there a function or SP that will return the current server name (DELLSTAR\SQL2008 in your example)?

--Brad

Yes. A system variable:

select @@SERVERNAME 

Or SERVERPROPERTY funcion:

SELECT CONVERT(sysname, SERVERPROPERTY('servername'));  

Kalman Toth, SQL Server 2008 Training, SSAS, SSIS, SSRS, BI:  www.SQLUSA.com   Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2016

• Zmodyfikowany przez Kalman Toth piątek, 10 listopada 2017 10:07
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 22:47
  • Thanks, Kalman...

Now, once we have that, can it be passed to OpenQuery()?

In other words, can the first parameter of OpenQuery() not be hard-coded in the SP?

--Brad
    poniedziałek, 9 marca 2009 23:03
  • Brad,

I am afraid (or joyous) we have to go dynamic SQL to do that. The linked_server parm is hard-wired in OPENQUERY. Note the septuple single quotes, a trademark of heavy-duty dynamic query.

Here is the dynamic SQL SELECT INTO table create from sproc execution demo:

/*  Data access must be configured   
    ,@optvalue = 'TRUE'   
    */   
    -- SQL select into table create from stored procedure execution  
    -- T-SQL dynamic SQL  
    DECLARE @SQL nvarchar(max)  
    SET @SQL =  
    'SELECT * 
    INTO   BillOfMaterials 
    FROM   OPENQUERY(' + QUOTENAME(CONVERT(sysname, SERVERPROPERTY('servername')))+ ',
    ''EXECUTE [AdventureWorks2008].[dbo].[uspGetBillOfMaterials]  800,  
              ''''2004-02-01'''''')'   
    PRINT @SQL  -- test & debug  
    EXEC sp_executeSQL @SQL  

SELECT   TOP ( 5 ) *   
    FROM    BillOfMaterials   
    ORDER BY NEWID()   
    GO   

/* Partial results   

ProductAssemblyID   ComponentID ComponentDesc  
    324                 486         Metal Sheet 5  
    800                 950         ML Crankset  
    950                 332         Freewheel  
    950                 318         ML Crankarm  
    398                 487         Metal Sheet 6  
    */   
    -- Cleanup  
    DROP TABLE BillOfMaterials  
    GO  
    /*  select @@SERVERNAME  

SELECT CONVERT(sysname, SERVERPROPERTY('servername'));  

*/ 

Kalman Toth

• Zmodyfikowany przez Kalman Toth piątek, 10 listopada 2017 10:07
    wtorek, 10 marca 2009 02:21
  • I am afraid (or joyous) we have to go dynamic SQL to do that. The linked_server parm is hard-wired in OPENQUERY.

Ahhh... that's what I figured... 

Note the septuple single quotes, a trademark of heavy-duty dynamic query.

YEESH!

--Brad
    wtorek, 10 marca 2009 02:30
  • Hey guys or gals, thanks for all the input. I didn't realize this was gonna turn into a monster, haha. I thought it was going to be a quick answer telling me it wasn't really possible.

I'll review this thread in detail tomorrow.

Thanks very much! I always enjoy making all your great minds tick! I appreciate the help with this. I learned a lot!
    wtorek, 10 marca 2009 05:37
  •  
    INSERT <TableName> EXEC <Command> 

insert tablea EXECUTE sp_List '0001','P','P' 

ps,sp can not nested.
    • Zaproponowany jako odpowiedź przez Mike Albert wtorek, 14 lipca 2009 20:51
    wtorek, 10 marca 2009 07:28
  • I know that i am being quite late in this discussion, but can't one just have the stored procedure output a table valued parameter (ofcourse this needs you to be able to modify the stored procedure). This table valued parameter can then be used in the calling script to insert data into a table.
    środa, 13 maja 2009 20:24
  • All of the ways to use the result set from a stored procedure have their issues.  Readers who would like to see better support for this are encouraged to vote on this Connect issue:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=294571

środa, 13 maja 2009 20:36

select

a.* into #t

exec msdb..sp_help_job'
    ) AS a;

select * from #t;

Man, they skipped right over your correct answer.

--Jeff Moden
    poniedziałek, 25 maja 2009 02:34
  • Didn't Brad mention OPENQUERY a couple of hours earlier?  ;c)

Paul
    poniedziałek, 25 maja 2009 05:19
  • Yes, he most certainly did... I missed it.  Both solutions work just fine.

--Jeff Moden
    wtorek, 26 maja 2009 02:15
  • Stone Z!  Way to sneak in here and provide the best solution to this problem in my book.  I implemented to and it worked without a hitch...

ALTER PROCEDURE dbo.GetChildProducts
    	(
    	@baseSectionID int,
    	@recursive bit
    	)
    AS
    	SET NOCOUNT ON
    	CREATE TABLE [#GetChildProducts_Temp]
    	(
    		topSectionID int,
    		sectionID int,
    		sectionName varchar(255)
    	)
    	INSERT [#GetChildProducts_Temp] EXEC dbo.GetAllChildSections @baseSectionID, @recursive
    	--SELECT * FROM #GetChildProducts_Temp
    	SELECT DISTINCT products.pID
    	FROM     products INNER JOIN
    				   [#GetChildProducts_Temp] AS q1 ON products.pSection = q1.sectionID
    	UNION
    	SELECT DISTINCT multisections.pID
    	FROM     multisections INNER JOIN
    				   [#GetChildProducts_Temp] AS q1 ON multisections.pSection = q1.sectionID
    	DROP TABLE #GetChildProducts_Temp
    	RETURN

• Zmodyfikowany przez Mike Albert wtorek, 14 lipca 2009 20:56
    wtorek, 14 lipca 2009 20:51
  • Hello,

With your query above, how can I pass a value for a parameter in my stored proc?

Thank you,

Alimda

piątek, 7 marca 2014 20:48
  • When I use your statement, I get "An INSERT EXEC statement cannot be nested."

This is my code:

CREATE TABLE #Table (Col1, Col2, Col3)

INSERT INTO #Table

EXEC [dbo].[usp_procedure]
            @1st Parameter = N'variable',
            @2nd Parameter = N'variable'

GO

środa, 25 kwietnia 2018 16:51
  • Yah! once again someone linked to an article that is no longer accessible.  Good for you, we'll be sending out our dumbass award presently.  When will Microsoft stop allowing this??
    piątek, 28 sierpnia 2020 10:56
  • Yah! once again someone linked to an article that is no longer accessible.  Good for you, we'll be sending out our dumbass award presently.  When will Microsoft stop allowing this??

Answer: on Tuesday, when this forum will be readonly!

The thread you jumped into is over ten years old, so it is not really unexpected if links in it no longer works.
    If you were particularly interested in the topic in the subject line, there is an article on my web site where discuss variations of this problem:
    http://www.sommarskog.se/share_data.html

(That link, by the way, has been valid for about 18 years, although the contents have changed over the years.)

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

• Zaproponowany jako odpowiedź przez Naomi N piątek, 28 sierpnia 2020 12:44
    piątek, 28 sierpnia 2020 12:37
  • Yes, I just checked it - unfortunately the site went belly up a few years ago - only blogs are still accessible :( I blogged on that site and also on BeyondRelational.com and both sites were thriving 10+ years ago but both were closed for a few years already...

I'll leave my answer as is - it was valid at the time I posted it and hopefully helped at that time.

BTW, I think I should thank Erland for the "belly up" expression - I believe I learnt it from you originally, but I may be wrong...

Looking for new opportunities

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Zmodyfikowany przez Naomi N piątek, 28 sierpnia 2020 13:13
    piątek, 28 sierpnia 2020 12:56