none
backup failed sometimes with Event ID 517 or Event ID 5 and error code 2155348301 RRS feed

• 问题

• First at all, I notice many samilar topics with error code 2155348301, but all of them are about NAS or UNI backup. In my case, both source and dest are local path, physical machine and physical hard drives.

My OS is Windows 2008 R2, standard edition, all are normal member server in AD, only share file and print, enable quota and file screen feature, no any other role. All server UAC removed. I can not install SP1 because enterprise policy, to backup the path longer that 260 charactors, I installed KB982502 patch on all servers. The patch installed months or one year ago, but the error code 2155348301 just appeared in weeks.

My backup source is like d:\data path, the top level folder in d: drive. In one server, the d:\data is shared out to cilents, in another server, the d:\data is not shared, but it contains 4 shared subfolders. All of those are on local drive, the local drive's volume shadow copy service is enabled.

My backup destination is e: drive, it is also a local drive, on one server, it is one of partition on physical drive; on another server, is the only partition on the physical drive. All e: drive has twice free space than backup source size at least, I think it is enough. Of course, the e: drive has other folders and files.

I use script to backup action, like "wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:e: -include:d:\data -vssfull -quiet", I have not define and use a including list file.

In closing weeks, some servers become appear backup failed with error code 2155348301. In Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Application, the related record is Event ID 517; In Event Viewer->Application and Service->Microsoft->Backup->Operational, the related record is Event ID 5. But two type records content are samilar, both report error code 2155348301. When the error appeared, my backup will keep failed regardless the backup run from GUI or script.

If I delete E:\WindowsImageBackup folder, the backup may run well done. But it will be same error days after. So, now I have to check the backup result each day and delete E:\WindowsImageBackup folder if there is problem. But I found deleting E:\WindowsImageBackup folder maybe cause the previous backup sets lost.

2012年4月23日 2:56

答案

• Some information added: in wbadmin GUI, for the failed backup set detail, there is a descript "There ware a failure in updating the backup to remove ...", I remember I had seen full line of that, it is related volume shadow copy.

And, as I test, that failure happened regardless run VSS-copy or VSS-full backup, and regardless run by script or GUI manually.

The temporory solutions, beside the previous solution that to delete E:\WindowsImageBackup folder, I found another way: if I backup another source folder, to same target drive, it should be completed well, then I run backup main data source folder, it will be done well. As I test, the "another source folder" is better in another drive(volume), otherwise backup maybe failed with same error. So I create one small folder in c: drive, and run wbadmin twice in one script, first is main data source folder on D: drive, second is that small folder in C: drive, to reflash the backup target store. It seems the problem disappear, but I am not sure whether the backup storage will be cost much more than before becuase it maybe the backup target seems not work in diffirential more increamental mode.

By the way, it looks the font is too small to view, how can I enlarge that? In edit interface, I just found bold intalic underline switch, but no font size.

2012年4月27日 4:49

全部回复

• Hi,

You received the Event ID 517, please view the following article to get more information and troubleshooting.

Event ID 517 — Backup Operations

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734395(WS.10).aspx

Hope it helps.

如果您对我们的论坛在线支持服务有任何的意见或建议,请通过邮件告诉我们。
    Description: Description: TechNet 论坛好帮手立刻免费下载  TechNet 论坛好帮手

2012年4月23日 6:04
    版主
  • Hi, sorry I had not posted all event log messege for this topic.

In Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Application, I get Event ID 517, the detail is  "The backup operation that started at '‎2012‎-‎04‎-‎18T15:00:12.512700500Z' has failed with following error code '2155348301' (There was a failure in updating the backup for deleted items.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved."

In Event Viewer->Application and Service->Microsoft->Backup->Operational, I get Event ID 5, the detail is "The backup operation that started at '‎2012‎-‎04‎-‎18T15:00:12.512700500Z' has failed with following error code '2155348301'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.", samilar as upper event. See attached pictures.

So I can not get any helpful information about why backup failed. By the way, I read http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734395(WS.10).aspx , the only un-standard item is when I run wbadmin enable backup, the return is "A backup is not currently scheduled" , it is because that I use script to run backup instead define it in WB GUI.

Is there more information for error code 2155348301 ? thanks.

2012年4月24日 1:36
  • Some information added: in wbadmin GUI, for the failed backup set detail, there is a descript "There ware a failure in updating the backup to remove ...", I remember I had seen full line of that, it is related volume shadow copy.

And, as I test, that failure happened regardless run VSS-copy or VSS-full backup, and regardless run by script or GUI manually.

The temporory solutions, beside the previous solution that to delete E:\WindowsImageBackup folder, I found another way: if I backup another source folder, to same target drive, it should be completed well, then I run backup main data source folder, it will be done well. As I test, the "another source folder" is better in another drive(volume), otherwise backup maybe failed with same error. So I create one small folder in c: drive, and run wbadmin twice in one script, first is main data source folder on D: drive, second is that small folder in C: drive, to reflash the backup target store. It seems the problem disappear, but I am not sure whether the backup storage will be cost much more than before becuase it maybe the backup target seems not work in diffirential more increamental mode.

By the way, it looks the font is too small to view, how can I enlarge that? In edit interface, I just found bold intalic underline switch, but no font size.

2012年4月27日 4:49
  • 参考以上文章没有得到任何帮助。在查找windowsserverbackup日志文件是发现记录“在修剪目标 VHD 的过程中删除 [D:\System Volume Information\EfaData\SYMEFA.DB] 时出错: 错误 [0x80070020] 另一个程序正在使用此文件,进程无法访问。
    ”D盘为备份的源地址。由于此文件为系统文件,没有可读可写的权利,如何发现此文件被另外的程序使用?

为什么将前次的备份的目的文件就可以备份成功?

请指教!

谢谢

2012年9月11日 15:48