Corrupt Traditional Chinese Font in Windows XP RRS feed

• 問題

•  

I don't know how it happened, but possibly due to installation of Windows Update. I run into situations where the windows xp computer with traditional chinese version has all the chinese text displayed in dialog boxes corrupted to show squares or ||. I'm sure others have run into this problem too but doing a search on the topic on the net or here does not yeild any results. Could some expert tell us how to fix it if we dont have a backup ghost image of the system, without requiring complete reinstallation?

THANKS

2008年10月19日 5:12

解答

• Hi Lenny,

Have you check your system's "Language for non-Unicode programs'" Option?
    Check if you have selected Chinese (Taiwan) as the language to match the language version of the non-unicode programs you want to use. If you have already select "Chinese Taiwan" maybe you can change it to another "Chinese" option and change it back to "Chinese Taiwan" again.

For more information about how to "change Language for non-Unicode Programs" please have a look at the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/xpintlsupp.mspx#EVE

Hope this could help.

Good Luck
    2008年10月19日 7:55

所有回覆

• Hi Lenny,

Have you check your system's "Language for non-Unicode programs'" Option?
    Check if you have selected Chinese (Taiwan) as the language to match the language version of the non-unicode programs you want to use. If you have already select "Chinese Taiwan" maybe you can change it to another "Chinese" option and change it back to "Chinese Taiwan" again.

For more information about how to "change Language for non-Unicode Programs" please have a look at the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/xpintlsupp.mspx#EVE

Hope this could help.

Good Luck
    2008年10月19日 7:55
  •  

i tried and i dont think that helped. all the service packs showed that they were installed successfully, but i suspect there must be some corruption somewhere due to a faulty install that caused the corruption of chinese fonts. im sure there must be a tricky but effective solution other than a complete system reinstallation.
    2008年10月20日 11:50
  • Hi Lenny,

Not sure if it can help.  You can try to delete the font cache file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\FNTCACHE.DAT, reboot Windows and see if the correct font comes back.

2008年10月20日 14:49
  •  

hi, thanks for your suggestion. i tried it and it didn't work. i can see the chinese text displayed correctly in IE, or the desktop icons title can be seen, but it is the text shown in system dialog box or button labels that become all squares or pipe || . i already tried searching for chinese fonts on microsoft download to install but that didn't fix it. i tried restoring to some previous restore points but that didn't fix it.
    2008年10月20日 17:47
  • Hi, have you tried to reboot your WindowsXP in safe mode and deleting the files in C:\Windows\TTFCache folder?

2008年10月20日 18:41
  •  

Hi Raymond

Thanks for your suggestion, however i cannot find the ttfcache folder. So I cannot delete anything like that under safe mode. Sad

Again, I wish to point out that during the past few years in my computer support capacity, i have witnessed problem like this quite a few times. My only solution was to recover the whole image from backup. But in this case i dont have a backup for the small notebook. I hope microsoft will be aware of problems like this as i feel it is very serious that a computer user is rendered unable to read any system message text. Just like English being used as international language on airlines, there should be a way to fall back to everything english in all language versions of microsoft products so that global support personnel can handle them.

2008年10月21日 3:09
  •  

Dear Lenny,

You can copy all files from C:\windows\Fonts in other Chinese Windows to install in to your local C:\Windows\Fonts. I face the same problem as you, but I can fix it.

2008年10月21日 9:54
  • Hi, Lenny Li,

Chinese Windows XP uses the font file "MINGLIU.TTC" under the folder "C:\Windows\Fonts\" as the default font file.  If this font file corrupts by some means, windows will display some Chinese characters as empty squares or ?.

To solve the problem, simply copy an uncorrupted MINGLIU.TTC font file from another computer with Chinese Winodws XP under the path "C:\windows\fonts\".  Copy this normal MINGLIU.TTC file to your computer to the same path "C:\windows\Fonts\".  Reboot the computer and everything should be normal again.

2009年5月4日 11:47