Ran an .exe that took over my computer. Can't even enter .dos to format RRS feed

• 問題

• I unknowingly downloaded a virus and it was an execution file.  I shouldn't have clicked it but this computer doesn't have anything important on it.  It's the kids computer so not a great loss.

The execution file locked me out of administrator rights.

I want to format the drive but can't do it.  I can't get into .dos.  The virus has control of that and the wrong screen comes up for the .dos choices.

I tried to boot from the start-up disk.  I also tried booting from the CD.  The virus messed up that option too.

What are my options?  Can I still format the computer?  Can a professional format the computer?  Or, do I have to throw away the hard drive?

I haven't loss anything important.  Just would like the use of my hard drive again.  I can buy a new one if I had to.

What is the name of this type of virus so I can research suggestions to fix it?  I know its not a worm...what is it called?

I have formatted a computer before so I'm not totally new at this.

Thanks

My operating system is XP
    2008年9月1日 0:16

解答

• Hi VKHK,

Have u tried to use Windows CD to install you computer again by choosing the Format option to install the windows again? If it does not work, Maybe you can try to use a Windows LIVE CD to format you computer.

E.g. Use the Trial version of following software to see if it could help you format or scan the virus. As it is a LIVE CD, so it should not run your current OS. (I have not tried it before, I tried another LIVE CD and most of the time they help me fix the problem)

http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

Good luck.
    2008年9月1日 7:42

所有回覆

• Hi VKHK,

Have u tried to use Windows CD to install you computer again by choosing the Format option to install the windows again? If it does not work, Maybe you can try to use a Windows LIVE CD to format you computer.

E.g. Use the Trial version of following software to see if it could help you format or scan the virus. As it is a LIVE CD, so it should not run your current OS. (I have not tried it before, I tried another LIVE CD and most of the time they help me fix the problem)

http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

Good luck.
    2008年9月1日 7:42
  • Thank you for your help.  I have a copy of a live CD already which I torrented.  I will try this first and then try yours later when I have time to look at it.

I'm actually totally lost about how a live  CD would help me.  I know it bypasses the current o/s which is infected with the virus.  But, once I'm in the LIVE CD operating system, how do I format my drive?

I got into DOS and did format C:     and it would not format because it says there is a process running using the disk.  I don't know how to stop what is running.  I went to ctrl alt delete    and I saw all the processes but don't know which ones to stop.  As well, I am afraid that the virus is the one running the process and it is probably invisible.

Please tell me more.  I know I'm getting closer to the answer.
    2008年9月1日 14:28
  • Hi VKHK,

I cannot remember which version of Live CD did I used before. What I did is on the File management Tools, it will provide a GUI for you just similar to the Windows Explorer. You should be able to right click on it and select "Format disk" something like that.

Please write back if you still have the problem, I can try to find the Live CD I got and run it again. It probably will refresh my mind and will be able to provide more description to explain how to format the disk via Live CD.

Good luck = )
    2008年9月1日 14:39
  • Hi

Thank you for the suggestions. 

I gave up trying the live XP CD as it didn't work.  It didn't even load.  The CD wasn't even spinning in the tray.

I finally solved the problem in an unorthodox way.  We are not computer geeks so were willing to try anything.

I tried to boot into it with a windows 98 CD as that is what I had around.  This computer was a friend's computer so I don't have the original xp disk.  It didn't work.  Nothing happened after I placed the CD in the computer.

We then tried something rather unorthodox.  We put in a recovery CD for a windows 98 IBM computer we had long ago and has since died.  Somehow this CD was able to bypass what ever was locking me out of XP.  It allowed me to format the drive and installed some things into it that I couldn't view with my present computer.  The computer's operating system was still unuseable. 

I then downloaded ubuntu as I've heard some positive things about it and knew it was free.  The ubuntu was able to format the drive completely and to install itself into the computer.  I'm rid of the virus and learned some new things.

I didn't care if the hard drive was wiped out as there was nothing important on it to begin with.

I did make a UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD ---google it) but didn't know how to use it once I looked at all the files.  I can't do much in dos.  I can just run a few commands from googling on the internet.  So, the UBCD would have taken too much time to research.  I've kept it around for future though.

Thanks again for your help.  It was encouraging and told me that the computer still had hope!  I was about to throw it away!  I thought it was "bricked up" (English slang for a computer that is locked up and can't do anything.  Only useful as a paper weight like a "brick")     I keep on learning new things every day.

Thanks again!

VKHK
    2008年9月4日 12:22