Full system scan now takes 4X longer RRS feed

• 問題

•  

For some reason, the last two days my windows defender has taken over 12 hours to do a full system scan when it used to take only 3 hours. My OS is Vista Home Basic service pack 1
    2008年9月23日 12:43

解答

• Hi BigFooter,

Have you tried to clear your internet history / Temp files before you perform the scan to see if it works better?

The links below has a sector to explain what may cause Windows Defender takes longer time to perform a full scan.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B555957&x=7&y=1

#################################################################
    Windows Defender is taking long time to perform a full scan:

This issue happens due to temporary Internet files, cookies, and other applog files. To resolve this issue, it is recommended to remove all these files before you schedule a full scan.

Also, update the definition pack before you perform a full scan to remove the latest spyware.

Reporting Spyware information to Microsoft:

You can report the identity of any spyware to Microsoft. Check the following link for more information:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/support/reportspyware.mspx

Do you think you computer may infected by a Virus or spyware. Maybe it is a good idea to perform a Virus scan as well.

Hope this could help.
    2008年9月23日 13:18

所有回覆

• Hi BigFooter,

Have you tried to clear your internet history / Temp files before you perform the scan to see if it works better?

The links below has a sector to explain what may cause Windows Defender takes longer time to perform a full scan.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B555957&x=7&y=1

Windows Defender is taking long time to perform a full scan:

This issue happens due to temporary Internet files, cookies, and other applog files. To resolve this issue, it is recommended to remove all these files before you schedule a full scan.

Also, update the definition pack before you perform a full scan to remove the latest spyware.

Reporting Spyware information to Microsoft:

You can report the identity of any spyware to Microsoft. Check the following link for more information:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/support/reportspyware.mspx

Do you think you computer may infected by a Virus or spyware. Maybe it is a good idea to perform a Virus scan as well.

Hope this could help.
    2008年9月23日 13:18
  • I clear everything from my browser everytime I close it. I use Avast! 4.8 home edition antivirus & supposedly you don't have to do anything after a boot scan if it's clean. But I'm doing a thorough scan now just to make sure since my Windows Defender scans are still coming up clean.

2008年9月23日 13:32
  • I just try to think it simple, will there be any huge files just stored on your System?

2008年9月23日 13:56
  • No. I just did a system restore & the whole computer seems faster now than it has for the past couple days. So I guess I'll find out in the morning if Windows Defender is back to normal. I think it will be since my computer reccomended a restore back to September 18. Which was 3 days before the problem started.

2008年9月23日 14:08
  •  

I think it  maybe due to any new installations of applications or drivers on your Vista.
    2008年9月23日 14:21
  • There are none

2008年9月23日 14:57
  • Please try to do a defragmentation of your harddisk. Sometimes it may because there have no defragmentation is done and make the harddisk working slower.

You may also need to check the log and see what make the system scan slower.

2008年12月13日 6:20
  • Hi,

If you have a lot of file, big hard disk or a lot of compressed file (zip, rar), it will take time to scan. 

2009年1月7日 13:06