How can I create a "slim" mandatory profiles under Windows Server 2003 for Windows XP Professional Users? RRS feed

• 問題

• How can I create a "slim" mandatory profiles under Windows Server 2003 for Windows XP Professional Users?

As the network traffic in our company is very high,

"slim" mandatory profiles are required for default settings for most computers running Windows XP Professional.

However, is there any method to create such profiles in slim size?

Can anyone suggest me any method to increase the login speed when our company makes use of mandatory profiles?

Thank you very much!

2008年12月29日 下午 12:40

解答

• Dear Customer,

Thank you for posting!

Currently I notice the problem is regarding Windows Logon slow. In this case, I would like to ask for your help to get some information for me on the problem client:

1. Is the problem happened on all clients on just one or two clients?
    2. If the logon speed become slow, after user logon successfully, will it also slow when do other actions like launch applications and so on?

Also I have some suggestions for this problem, we can try to:
    When the system logon is finished:
    a. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to start Task Manager.
    b. Click File, and then click New Task (Run...).
    c. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    d. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
    e. On the right side of the viewing pane, right-click Object Name, click Modify, type Local System in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    f. Restart your computer

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

2008年12月30日 上午 09:06
    版主
  •  Chris Yuen wrote:

How can I create a "slim" mandatory profiles under Windows Server 2003 for Windows XP Professional Users?

"slim" mandatory profiles are required for default settings for most computers running Windows XP Professional.

Can anyone suggest me any method to increase the login speed when our company makes use of mandatory profiles?

Thank you very much!

Did you try to have a look on the Profiles Size? Be sure that you should ask end user to move their own files(ie. Docs, Movies, MP3, Installation Files....etc) from their "My Document" or their Desktop in a File Server's Share Drive. So you might also need to setup one File Server and make them having a Home Share Folder from their User Profile Setting in their User Account Properties.

2008年12月31日 上午 02:17
  • Suggestion:-

1. Create a new roaming profile with mandatory/necessary items i.e. internal software/applications/programs Menu/Desktop icons/shortcuts etc
    2. Redirect user documents to network share folder
    3. Clear/delete local/system/IE temporary files when user shutdown/reboot everytime
    4. Apply to 1 or 2 users for testing
    5. Apply to all when UAT complete
    2009年1月5日 上午 03:18

所有回覆

• User profile size is not the only condition affect logon speed. Most impact to logon speed are

1. PC Hardware performance

2..What software will load when user logon(User may installed some softwares that do not need, or affected by spyware.)

3. Network connection to Domain Controller.

I think you should have following solutions.

1.Fond a way to improve network speed.(If your environment still using 10MB LAN, upgrade to 100MB)

2.Check if PCs are too slow, upgrade them.

3.Add 1 more domain controller to seperate the authentication job.

2008年12月30日 上午 02:21
  • Dear Customer,

Thank you for posting!

Currently I notice the problem is regarding Windows Logon slow. In this case, I would like to ask for your help to get some information for me on the problem client:

2. If the logon speed become slow, after user logon successfully, will it also slow when do other actions like launch applications and so on?

e. On the right side of the viewing pane, right-click Object Name, click Modify, type Local System in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    f. Restart your computer

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

2008年12月30日 上午 09:06
    版主
  •  ComBilLi wrote:

User profile size is not the only condition affect logon speed. Most impact to logon speed are

1. PC Hardware performance

2..What software will load when user logon(User may installed some softwares that do not need, or affected by spyware.)

3. Network connection to Domain Controller.

I think you should have following solutions.

1.Fond a way to improve network speed.(If your environment still using 10MB LAN, upgrade to 100MB)

2.Check if PCs are too slow, upgrade them.

3.Add 1 more domain controller to seperate the authentication job.

1) Our company is running at the network speed of 100Mbs

2) The PCs are not old, few of them were just purchased by few months ago

3) Yes, two domain controllers (one is old and the other is very new) are currently running in our system

In addition, I would like to learn how to create a slim size mandatory profile for all users
    2008年12月30日 下午 12:40
  •  Tom Zhang – MSFT wrote:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for posting!

f. Restart your computer

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

1) Most clients suffered from this problem recently

2) Slow at logon but fast after logon in application running

Did you mean to apply a new value on that registry on our workstations?

What value should I change for that registry (original value is 32)?

2008年12月30日 下午 12:48
  •  Chris Yuen wrote:

How can I create a "slim" mandatory profiles under Windows Server 2003 for Windows XP Professional Users?

Thank you very much!

Did you try to have a look on the Profiles Size? Be sure that you should ask end user to move their own files(ie. Docs, Movies, MP3, Installation Files....etc) from their "My Document" or their Desktop in a File Server's Share Drive. So you might also need to setup one File Server and make them having a Home Share Folder from their User Profile Setting in their User Account Properties.

2008年12月31日 上午 02:17
  •  

I think you can create a standard mandatory profiles

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307800

For a "slimed" profile. You may need to tweak it yourself.

I think you can try something other to test performance.

Anyway, are u using roaming profile or local profile?

1. Windows 2000 / XP will cache local user's domain profile, so you can try unplug network cable -> restart PC -> login again to see if user login can be faster or not. (If it's a lot faster, the slow login  could caused by DC authenication)

2. Create locate user, and logon computer using local user, see if it's faster or not? Maybe some startup program cause the slow startup.New Leno** computer are very slow cuz of the useless spyware-like softwares, try unstall them all)

3. Sometime thrid-party anti-virus/firewall could cause the logon problem,Try disable them
    2008年12月31日 上午 07:06
  • Suggestion:-

1. Create a new roaming profile with mandatory/necessary items i.e. internal software/applications/programs Menu/Desktop icons/shortcuts etc
    2. Redirect user documents to network share folder
    3. Clear/delete local/system/IE temporary files when user shutdown/reboot everytime
    4. Apply to 1 or 2 users for testing
    5. Apply to all when UAT complete
    2009年1月5日 上午 03:18